Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2021, 11:07 AM

5,844 posts, read 6,142,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
I have a rescue dog, who, due to aggressive breeding practices, & horrible previous owners, just can't calm down. She was prescribed a well-known SSRI antidepressant & it's the exact medication & dosage that humans take. The pharmacist told me that he fills a huge number of SSRI antidepressants, tricyclic antidepressants & benzodiazepines to dogs, which was a revelation to me.
We're on our 4th Australian Shepherd, and she'll be our last. Why? Because she's just too high strung and wants to work all the time (she came from working stock). We've owned this breed since 1991 and we know what they're like, but at this point in our lives, our next dog needs to be like an Aussie, but maybe around 30% less Aussie, LOL.

Anyway, when she was a puppy, an animal behaviorist came to work with her because she was more challenging that any of our others had been and the lady said "Have you thought about medicating your dog?" So the dog takes fluoxetine (Prozac) 20 mg, which is the same as a human and I pick it up at the CVS with all the rest of our prescriptions. She just turned 8 years old and has calmed down a great deal, thankfully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2021, 11:46 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,041,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
I get DMSO from TSC and prepare it by mixing it with lotion (something like 1/16 DMSO to lotion.

My Doc told me how to use it and the proper measurements (also telling me "TOPICAL ONLY) as if I were an idiot ( heaven only knows why he felt the need for the emphasis- I suppose he treated prior idiots).

It helps with my arthritis pain.

Well, we now have idiots ending up in the ER, some getting dead, from eating Ivermectin paste and drinking Ivermectin solution that is meant to be injected. He's got to cover his butt. Some people who at first glance appear to be perfectly reasonable, turn out to be monumentally stupid. (Much to my chagrin, I have even voted for a couple of those idiots. Yeah, I'll admit it, when the 'leader of the free world' suggests internal use of household disinfectants, I know I made a serious mistake...but then *all* of the choices were terrible, for one reason or another.)

Old 08-27-2021, 12:13 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,404,603 times
Years ago I used Ketamine to combat depression and it worked.

Old 08-27-2021, 07:27 PM

4,391 posts, read 4,832,553 times
While we're on the topic of petmeds, we had a puppy with diabetes insipidus ("Diabetes insipidus (DI) is rare in dogs, and is characterized by excessive thirst/drinking and the production of enormous volumes of extremely dilute urine. Some dogs may produce so much urine that they become incontinent... The irony of this disease is that despite drinking large volumes of water, the dog can become dehydrated from urinating so much") and the treatment was the hormone desmopressin which is available from human pharmacies.

IT WAS EXPENSIVE AF, but we were able to use GoodRx and save a FORTUNE. Until then I didn't know that one could use GoodRx for pet Rx's (pet only drugs won't be in their database so its only for human drugs that are given to pets). One time the lady asked me for DOB of the patient and I said, "I don't know, it's a dog" and she just said, "okay" and rang me up with the 80% discount.

Our dog had the best-case scenario, because we treated her condition instead of the vet's original recommendation "she's going to be an outside dog" when she went through whatever the dog equivalent hormone phase of puberty is called, the condition corrected itself. A vet we had contacted out of state (an old friend) told us that if we didn't treat it when she was a puppy, the condition would be permanent.

Old 08-27-2021, 08:30 PM

3,061 posts, read 1,522,992 times
they also give ivermectin to dogs but if the dog is one of the herding breeds they must have a genetic test first otherwise the ivermectin could kill them. Had a GSD that got mange from the neighborhood fox. The vet had to test him first. He didnt have the genetic problem so he got ivermectin for quite a long time.

Old 08-29-2021, 05:40 AM

5,669 posts, read 4,211,068 times
Here's a guy who took pet products

https://news.yahoo.com/police-captai...152556970.html

A Georgia police officer who frequently posted anti-vaxx messages on Facebook and took an anti-parasitic drug instead of a vaccine has died of COVID-19.
Captain Joe Manning, 57, of the Wayne County Sheriff's Office died on Wednesday after a short battle with the virus, according to local news station WSAV.

Old 08-30-2021, 07:33 AM

430 posts, read 263,442 times
In case anyone's interested (which I really doubt).... https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3043740/

Old 08-30-2021, 09:30 AM

10,066 posts, read 6,362,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
We're on our 4th Australian Shepherd, and she'll be our last. Why? Because she's just too high strung and wants to work all the time (she came from working stock). We've owned this breed since 1991 and we know what they're like, but at this point in our lives, our next dog needs to be like an Aussie, but maybe around 30% less Aussie, LOL.

Anyway, when she was a puppy, an animal behaviorist came to work with her because she was more challenging that any of our others had been and the lady said "Have you thought about medicating your dog?" So the dog takes fluoxetine (Prozac) 20 mg, which is the same as a human and I pick it up at the CVS with all the rest of our prescriptions. She just turned 8 years old and has calmed down a great deal, thankfully.
I had the same situation with my first Russian Blue cat. He was very aggressive towards one of my other cats (the oldest and smallest one) and also would urinate inappropriately. I had him checked out for any medical conditions that might be causing the urinating and there were none. Finally the vet suggested Prozac 10 mg. It was miraculous - he stopped all his inappropriate and aggressive behaviors. The only side effect was the curious stares I got when the CVS pharmacy vet called out "Prescription for Kiska *****".

Old 08-30-2021, 05:20 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,642,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Nope - never.

I suppose there may be less risk with products for "external use" though obviously some chemicals can be absorbed through the skin or are actually intended to work that way.

Internally? You'd better be very careful of the dose and you'd better know all the active and inactive ingredients as well as be aware if the level of "impurities" allowed for that animal is acceptable for humans use.

If you're absolutely desperate then I guess any port in a storm - but to take medication that has not even been shown to be EFFECTIVE treatment for something and then take the ANIMAL form of it - that's not smart at all.

People think a little bit of internet-obtained knowledge makes them as smart as a medical doctor or a PhD - they're fooling themselves - let's see if they can pass the job interview!
I’ve never done so either.
And this.

Old 08-30-2021, 10:40 PM

924 posts, read 748,247 times
I did once, when I was a little kid. I don't remember the exact situation now, just that my mom had me take a pill that was meant for horses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness