Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2021, 10:14 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,655,273 times

Advertisements

Like there is/used to be for homegrown marijuana?

If folks are so desperate for opioids, wouldn't this be a thriving underground market? Poppies seem to grow in many environments.

When DH was younger and wilder, he found some growing in somebody's abandoned yard and he and his pal scored the pods and used some. Not advocating that, by any means, but seems doable for the desperate.

If this should be in gardening, mods can move it, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2021, 03:35 PM

23,319 posts, read 18,890,074 times
Who says one doesn't exist? Probably a lot harder to keep large scale poppy growing a secret!

Old 08-26-2021, 04:58 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,057,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Like there is/used to be for homegrown marijuana?

If folks are so desperate for opioids, wouldn't this be a thriving underground market? Poppies seem to grow in many environments.

When DH was younger and wilder, he found some growing in somebody's abandoned yard and he and his pal scored the pods and used some. Not advocating that, by any means, but seems doable for the desperate.

If this should be in gardening, mods can move it, lol.
There is a small scale non-profit underground market via herbalists in private practise for people who are in need and/or interested in it from a strictly medicinal point of view. Many herbalists will grow an assortment of different species of poppies or other opioid containing species for making medicines such as tinctures (like laudanum for example), or teas that are infused from dried poppy heads or other dried parts of poppy plants, or extracts added to herbal ointments for topical application ...... just to name a few processes.

All poppies in the Papaver genus contain some amount of opioids but not all of them are narcotic or addictive. It is only the opium poppy Papaver somniferum that has the highest concentrations of opium narcotic in it, and only Papaver somniferum that has been abused to the extent of causing opium narcotic addiction.

People who are desperate for opioids are people who are addicts. Herbalists won't deal with opioid addicts unless it is for the purpose of eliminating the addict's harmful addiction to opioids and in such cases the herbalists sure won't use somniferum fire to fight fire in the case of opioid addiction. So no somniferum products as a treatment will be offered to addicts at all.

But the herbalist might prepare other medicinal plants that are in the Papaver genus to help ease addicts through their initial withdrawals while on the road to eliminating the addiction. The poppy family of flowering plants (Papaveraceae) features 44 genera and 825 species, many of which are very common ornamental or edible garden plants. Like Bleeding Heart, Celandine, California poppy, Dutchman's Breeches, and although not in the papaver family there are even numerous lettuce species that contain some amount of very mildly narcotic but non-addictive opioids in them.

I thought you might find this short history article interesting: https://www.deamuseum.org/ccp/opium/history.html

Last edited by Zoisite; 08-26-2021 at 05:07 PM..

Old 08-27-2021, 11:11 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,616,966 times
When I was using on a daily basis, we looked into growing our own...turns out, its just not practical, the opium poppies are very easy to get and grow just about anywhere, but in order to feed a daily opium addiction, you need A LOT of plants, so much that its not practical.

Old 08-28-2021, 11:00 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,057,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
When I was using on a daily basis, we looked into growing our own...turns out, its just not practical, the opium poppies are very easy to get and grow just about anywhere, but in order to feed a daily opium addiction, you need A LOT of plants, so much that its not practical.
Good point. Not practical even from a user's personal use stand point, and if somebody was thinking of growing it to process and sell any form of it on an underground market they would need to grow many, many hectares of the plants. It's just not possible to keep that many plants hidden.

Old 08-28-2021, 10:52 PM

608 posts, read 516,844 times
In all my Drug using years Opium was extremely rare, at least where I lived in So Cal. I had access to any drug available anywhere else. I only had the chance to smoke it twice, once was in Northern Calif. I remember really liking it, and if I ever get the opportunity to smoke it again I surely will, only because it is so rare. Otherwise I would get into to big trouble with it. I have an addictive personality for sure.

Old 08-29-2021, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Good point. Not practical even from a user's personal use stand point, and if somebody was thinking of growing it to process and sell any form of it on an underground market they would need to grow many, many hectares of the plants. It's just not possible to keep that many plants hidden.

OK, well that makes sense. I didn't know it took so many plants. Unlike hiding a pot plant or 2, lol.

I guess China had miles of it back in the opium den days....

Old 08-29-2021, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
There is a small scale non-profit underground market via herbalists in private practise for people who are in need and/or interested in it from a strictly medicinal point of view. Many herbalists will grow an assortment of different species of poppies or other opioid containing species for making medicines such as tinctures (like laudanum for example), or teas that are infused from dried poppy heads or other dried parts of poppy plants, or extracts added to herbal ointments for topical application ...... just to name a few processes.

All poppies in the Papaver genus contain some amount of opioids but not all of them are narcotic or addictive. It is only the opium poppy Papaver somniferum that has the highest concentrations of opium narcotic in it, and only Papaver somniferum that has been abused to the extent of causing opium narcotic addiction.

People who are desperate for opioids are people who are addicts. Herbalists won't deal with opioid addicts unless it is for the purpose of eliminating the addict's harmful addiction to opioids and in such cases the herbalists sure won't use somniferum fire to fight fire in the case of opioid addiction. So no somniferum products as a treatment will be offered to addicts at all.

But the herbalist might prepare other medicinal plants that are in the Papaver genus to help ease addicts through their initial withdrawals while on the road to eliminating the addiction. The poppy family of flowering plants (Papaveraceae) features 44 genera and 825 species, many of which are very common ornamental or edible garden plants. Like Bleeding Heart, Celandine, California poppy, Dutchman's Breeches, and although not in the papaver family there are even numerous lettuce species that contain some amount of very mildly narcotic but non-addictive opioids in them.

I thought you might find this short history article interesting: https://www.deamuseum.org/ccp/opium/history.html

Thanks for that link. The history is pretty fascinating! Good to know some herbalists are involved....

Old 08-30-2021, 08:32 AM

23,874 posts, read 33,587,145 times
I've got a small peanut butter jar a quarter filled with pink opium poppy seeds from a plant I used to grow. I keep hoping to be able to get a plant out of the seeds. I want the plant for my garden again.

Opium poppies aren't easy to grow. They're very picky. I can't count how many I've lost over the years. The pink one I grew probably came from the original plant I lost at my old house. We dug up the gardens, took most of it with us. What's funny is that I'd been in this new house over 5 years when the pin k opium poppy just popped up in my garden. I couldn't believe it! That's where the peanut butter jar of seeds came from. I just can't get another plant to pop up.

Old 08-31-2021, 10:08 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,616,966 times
Strange fact...the poppy seeds you buy at the grocery store...they are the opium poppy seeds and can be germinated to grow the plants.

Apparently only the opium poppy seeds taste good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness