Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2021, 11:45 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,643,077 times

Advertisements

With the Ivermectin issue raging, I began to wonder what any of us might have used on ourselves that was labeled for animals.

If you have, was it your own idea or did you hear about it somewhere?

Was it due to cost, availability, efficacy or what reason?

I had a cousin who would regularly use livestock products for similar ailments---due to cost. I think she had a trusted vet who could advise her, lol.

A friend used fish antibiotics to success. Cost, as well (he was broke with no insurance).

A couple of decades ago when we were traveling around the country, staying with various people, I somehow picked up lice from the school-age kids. Tried EVERYTHING, every single product or method but was in tears every morning with the comb.

In desperation, I poured chicken-mite powder all over my head and worked it in.

Gone! It worked.

Like seniors eating cat food, some are forced into these scenarios. But cat food is not cheap anymore, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2021, 02:55 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
I've used cattle ivermectin to treat rosacea. It was the pour on, I just moistened a cotton ball with it and rubbed it over my face. I used it for several months and it got rid of my rosacea for 5 years. I'm just now starting to get bumps again, but I can't use the cattle pour on anymore because I'm allergic to the inactive ingredients now.

I've also used fish antibiotics when I didn't have insurance. I have insurance now, but fish antibiotics are still cheaper than an office visit copay and the cost of the meds. You just have to plan ahead to have it on hand in case you need it.

And I've used drawing salve from the feed store, because I bought Prid and it didn't work like it used to. The one from the feed store did the job within a day.

I also use fake fingernail glue to seal cuts. I know that's an item intended for human use, so not really the subject being discussed here, but it belongs on the list of poverty/desperation home remedies. I've used it successfully with straight cuts 1" or shorter. It doesn't work when there's a flap of skin.

Old 08-25-2021, 03:09 PM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Bag Balm. Used it for years.

Old 08-25-2021, 03:26 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,129,439 times
I’ve heard of people who get scripts from the vet for tramadol, Valium and other drugs meant for their dogs. Sounds crazy that anyone would be so desperate, but they do it. My dog is on arthritis meds and antibiotics from his recent surgery but he can keep taking them, we’re not sharing.

Last edited by Taz22; 08-25-2021 at 03:43 PM..

Old 08-25-2021, 03:28 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Bag Balm. Used it for years.
Yep. Bag balm is a staple in my house.

FWIW, I consider the active ingredients and their percentages in the product first. Whether its specifically labeled for animal use is secondary, particularly for OTC products. I usually have some sort of generic triple antibiotic ointment on hand for my reptiles, but it isn't really different than the human Polysporin from the drugstore. Many times the ingredients aren't that different chemically, but sometimes the specific formulation is. Don't be stupid...do your due diligence. Consider tramadol. That's been prescribed for my dogs occasionally and for me too. As for those who circumvent their human prescriber because they intend to abuse some vet med, that's a different animal.

Last edited by Parnassia; 08-25-2021 at 03:53 PM..

Old 08-25-2021, 03:33 PM

3,024 posts, read 2,239,488 times
Isn't there some horse shampoo that a bunch of folks use? And it's totally safe, apparently effective, etc.

Old 08-25-2021, 03:40 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Nope - never.

I suppose there may be less risk with products for "external use" though obviously some chemicals can be absorbed through the skin or are actually intended to work that way.

Internally? You'd better be very careful of the dose and you'd better know all the active and inactive ingredients as well as be aware if the level of "impurities" allowed for that animal is acceptable for humans use.

If you're absolutely desperate then I guess any port in a storm - but to take medication that has not even been shown to be EFFECTIVE treatment for something and then take the ANIMAL form of it - that's not smart at all.

People think a little bit of internet-obtained knowledge makes them as smart as a medical doctor or a PhD - they're fooling themselves - let's see if they can pass the job interview!

Old 08-25-2021, 03:40 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,129,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
Isn't there some horse shampoo that a bunch of folks use? And it's totally safe, apparently effective, etc.
Mane ‘n Tail, you can get it at stores like Walgreens. It’s cheaper in the drugstore than ordering from State Line Tack. I’ve used it, the results are ok, but it looks better on the horses.

Old 08-25-2021, 05:47 PM

17,574 posts, read 13,350,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
I’ve heard of people who get scripts from the vet for tramadol, Valium and other drugs meant for their dogs. Sounds crazy that anyone would be so desperate, but they do it. My dog is on arthritis meds and antibiotics from his recent surgery but he can keep taking them, we’re not sharing.

Highly illegal!

Old 08-25-2021, 05:53 PM

3,267 posts, read 1,747,333 times
I've used fishcillen and fish flex in my youth with good results. As others here have said, know your dosages.

When in doubt, do the research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness