Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2021, 10:11 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Good point. Not practical even from a user's personal use stand point, and if somebody was thinking of growing it to process and sell any form of it on an underground market they would need to grow many, many hectares of the plants. It's just not possible to keep that many plants hidden.

Yep, just imagine all the acres and acres of opium poppies that are grown in Mexico, ( to keep the US heroin addiction supplied)...I bet the fields can be seen from space!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2021, 10:57 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,055,618 times
Hey I cant find a link to post, but I was watching an interview with Michael Pollan ("The Omnivore's Dilemna" and his more recent book "This is Your Mind on Plants")

and Michael goes into great detail on growing poppys/opium and the very specific legal trouble he got into with the Feds way back in 1997, with the DEA on his rear end, when he wanted to publish on article in Harpers Magazine specifically about growing poppys for the purpose of making opium tea.

https://harpers.org/2021/07/regardin...ind-on-plants/

I have no love for opioids, I think sometime in the 22nd/23rd Century we'll have to use all of Monsanto's collective cumulative research to date to create a fatal mutation / Agent Orange v4.0 / radioactive fungus to eliminate poppys and the opium trade from the entire surface of Planet Earth.

Old 08-31-2021, 11:02 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
OK, well that makes sense. I didn't know it took so many plants. Unlike hiding a pot plant or 2, lol.

I guess China had miles of it back in the opium den days....
Right - have you seen them "harvesting" by scratching the base of the flower and collecting the drops that leak out? And that is very diluted compared to what would be needed for the typical pain sufferer. I guess if you just wanted to mellow out, maaaaaaaybe...but not enough for heavy-duty use.

Old 08-31-2021, 03:33 PM

608 posts, read 515,432 times
Also as far as smuggling goes it is far more profitable to bring in Heroin. Way more value for the space it takes up because it is so much more potent.

Old 08-31-2021, 03:48 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,524,546 times
Prior to becoming a state, Alaska hired a lot of Chinese workers to man the salmon canneries. They gave them opium occasionally. Near the old cannery locations you can still find some glass jars that once held the drug.

Old 08-31-2021, 05:15 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Strange fact...the poppy seeds you buy at the grocery store...they are the opium poppy seeds and can be germinated to grow the plants.

Apparently only the opium poppy seeds taste good.
Easier said than done. Poppy seeds that are sold for consumption are usually irradiated so they won't germinate, just like many other types of seeds that are intended for human consumption. It extends shelf life, stops them from spoiling in storage in the pantry.

And if they haven't been irradiated, then those that are viable are still hard to germinate and grow because there are special environmental conditions required and there is a special way the seeds and the seedlings need to be treated and protected before, during and after germination.

Old 09-01-2021, 03:59 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfangle9 View Post
Also as far as smuggling goes it is far more profitable to bring in Heroin. Way more value for the space it takes up because it is so much more potent.
Well sure, but that's a highly manufactured product from a lab. I was talking about the average Joe growing poppies like he does mj.

Old 09-01-2021, 04:01 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Right - have you seen them "harvesting" by scratching the base of the flower and collecting the drops that leak out? And that is very diluted compared to what would be needed for the typical pain sufferer. I guess if you just wanted to mellow out, maaaaaaaybe...but not enough for heavy-duty use.
This is what my husband did many years ago. Found the plot of poppies and scratched the pod.

He said it was not particularly pleasurable! They were not knocked out completely, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness