Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2021, 10:35 AM

3,121 posts, read 2,063,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
The need for high fiber is a myth. Fibers cause bloating and make you fart and go to the toilet a lot. That's not a good thing. It's a sign that the body is trying to flush out what it can't handle. Insoluble fibers are called that for a reason. The body can not digest it, so it sits there and ferment and causes all kind of problems. The body then tries to get rid of it by pooping it out.
I've never heard this myth. No one legitimate has ever said that a high fiber diet is necessary. Eating too much fiber too fast causes gas, bloating and even constipation. If this happens, your natural bacteria couldn't keep up. Insoluble fiber attracts water to stool which is a good thing. Also, good bacteria feast on fermented insoluble fiber, also a good thing. Everyone needs some fiber. How much depends on the individual. Anyone looking to increase fiber intake should do it slowly giving time for bacteria to adjust. The main health benefits come from the nutrients plant foods provide.

Quote:
Recently, I ran out of vegetables and was too lazy to buy more, so I ate only meat, eggs, and fish for about two weeks. The bloating, gas, and back pain disappeared. My body fat decreased. I had this surge of energy that I didn't have before. I was pleasantly surprised. This can't be true. Mainstream media tells me meats are bad for me and vegetables are good for me. Well, my body tells me the reverse is true. So now I listen what my body tells me.
Listening to your body is what everyone should do, IMO. What works for you won't work for everyone. The real test is if eliminating all fiber continues to work for you and keeps you healthy in the coming months and years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2021, 11:47 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,920,840 times
I have a book ,"Eating for your blood type " you might do well to review it.

Old 09-06-2021, 12:05 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,299,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBear1234 View Post
I call BS.....I eat low carb, lost weight, kept it off and feel great. Everyone is different....if I were to eat a lot of carbs, my blood sugar would go wonky and I'd start packing on the pounds b/c of water weight and the constant snacking to stabilizing blood sugar swings. No thanks....diabetes runs in my family and I do NOT want it!
Yes we are all different. This best diet is the one that works best for a given individual.

Personally I lost weight, and keep it off, by eating a high proportion of grain-based carbohydrates and fruit and vegetables to total calories, though at reduced portions and so total calories for everything.

If I were to eat a lot of meat and dairy, my stomach chemistry would go spastic and I would wind up eating grain-based carbohydrates anyway, and so increasing total calories and feeling sick at the same time. No thanks.

I should add that I buy flour directly from mills, cultivate my own yeast, make my own bread, and grow whatever herbs I can that thrive on a balcony.

Anyway, point is, we are all different.

For some, a low-carb, high meat and dairy diet works, and for others the opposite, and every possible combination in between.

It is helpful to listen to doctors and dieticians and those peddling this or that diet for whatever reason, but in the end one has to know oneself and calibrate accordingly.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-06-2021, 12:37 PM

10,888 posts, read 7,373,369 times
There are lots of different diets, all with "evidence" that they make you healthier; low carb, vegan, low fat, yada yada. Each works for some people, but not for others.

Old 09-06-2021, 01:15 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,650,631 times
Diets high in grain are probably not super healthy. Many vegetarian and vegan diets are high carb, basically people substitute beans and grain for animal products. When actually the healthiest part of a vegetarian diet should be larger consumption of actual vegetables, imagine that, vegetarian eating lot vegetables.... Some claim a vegan keto diet is possible, I doubt that, least it would be very difficult cause all plants contain carbs, but a low carb one is quite possible. I eat low carb lacto ova vegetarian. Mostly bunch raw veggies, and hot cakes made from oily seed (flax, chia, sunflower, sesame, etc) rather than starchy seeds (otherwise known as grain). The eggs mostly to bind the oily seed ground into meal for a bread substitute. And no-salt butter and occasionally bit plain whole milk greek yogurt my only dairy. This low carb diet was to control my diabetes and it works. No grain or legumes or other large amounts of starches/sugars.

You can however eat a low carb vegetarian or even vegan diet. Low carb diet does help with aches and pains. That was an unexpected side benefit when I went low carb. Less inflammation too. No puffy ankles, etc. Oh and I lost lot weight. Excess carbs make you fat, dietary fat doesnt make you fat. I dare anybody to gain weight on a high fat, low carb diet. Whether low carb veggie diet, low carb carnivore diet or whatever else somebody comes up with.

Humans are omnivores and opportunists, whats available in other words. In times of limited food, one eats what one can find that doesnt kill you or make you puke it up. Beyond that its what agrees with the individual when a wide variety is available and affordable. A vegetarian diet agrees best with me.

Old 09-06-2021, 01:48 PM

18,560 posts, read 7,364,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Those who are overweight, and eat a lot of meat and eggs are at high risk of heart disease, strokes, and diabetes.

Why do we eat what we know is bad for us?
Meat and eggs aren't bad for thin people or fat people.

Old 09-06-2021, 02:00 PM

3,428 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
I've never heard this myth. No one legitimate has ever said that a high fiber diet is necessary. Eating too much fiber too fast causes gas, bloating and even constipation. If this happens, your natural bacteria couldn't keep up. Insoluble fiber attracts water to stool which is a good thing. Also, good bacteria feast on fermented insoluble fiber, also a good thing. Everyone needs some fiber. How much depends on the individual. Anyone looking to increase fiber intake should do it slowly giving time for bacteria to adjust. The main health benefits come from the nutrients plant foods provide.

Listening to your body is what everyone should do, IMO. What works for you won't work for everyone. The real test is if eliminating all fiber continues to work for you and keeps you healthy in the coming months and years.
My body always tells me to eat ice cream, carrot cake, chocolate cake, raw chocolate chip cookie dough, bacon pizza, and Wurther's Originals.

Thankfully, there's a brain on top of my body that reminds my body that those things are bad for me, and I shouldn't listen to my body every time it says "gimme."

Old 09-06-2021, 02:19 PM

3,121 posts, read 2,063,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
My body always tells me to eat ice cream, carrot cake, chocolate cake, raw chocolate chip cookie dough, bacon pizza, and Wurther's Originals.

Thankfully, there's a brain on top of my body that reminds my body that those things are bad for me, and I shouldn't listen to my body every time it says "gimme."
No, your brain tells you to eat ice cream and cake to light up pleasure centers, the brain's reward circuit.

Thankfully, your brain also tells you to give it what it actually craves which is nutrition. If you listen to it and pay attention to how it and the rest of your body reacts over time.

Old 09-06-2021, 02:22 PM

5,517 posts, read 2,403,032 times
This is not surprising given that those that fit in this category are eating a surplus of ultra processed carbs and fats. Take the same group that eats a whole foods diet with lean meats, no processed foods and I bet you would see no risk for heart attack or stroke.

Old 09-06-2021, 02:24 PM

5,517 posts, read 2,403,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
No, your brain tells you to eat ice cream and cake to light up pleasure centers, the brain's reward circuit.

Thankfully, your brain also tells you to give it what it actually craves which is nutrition. If you listen to it and pay attention to how it and the rest of your body reacts over time.
Ironically your brain also tells you to pig out on hamburgers and fries?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness