Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2021, 03:25 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
You never know tell you at least give a vegan diet an honest try. Try going vegan for 90 days, and see if the diet is beneficial to you. So no meat, no fish, no dairy, that includes no cheese, eggs or milk. What do yo have to lose? Lower grocery bills for 3 months?
No thanks! I don't want to end up in the hospital again over too much fiber like I did before when I went vegan. That's what I have to lose.

But different diets work for different people. Great some folks have cured arthritis and apparently re-grew that elusive cartilage that causes so much of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2021, 08:52 PM

3,121 posts, read 2,063,897 times
Most Americans and Europeans are not genetically adapted to a mostly vegetarian diet. Most don't have the FADS genes.

Data from the 1000 Genome Project revealed that

70% of South Asians
53% of Africans
29% of East Asians, and
17-18% of Europeans and Americans, respectively

Have the FADS adaptation.

The majority of Americans and Europeans don't have the genes for a mostly vegetarian diet.

Old 09-14-2021, 12:52 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I can’t agree … I eat 90% meat
Don’t like veggies. Do eat berries
Been borderline keto diet ( no carbs or sugars)
I do need to eat more fats

I’m closing in on 57
I’ve always liked and consumed mostly meats

Recently had my colonoscopy and not one polyp

Had a physical and blood work came out very good ! Dr
Said whatever I’m doing keep doing it
Cholesterol is fine ( I’m convinced the body processes cholesterol differently if it’s not filled with sugars and carbs
I believe sugars and carbs are the real food demons. Not meats not fats

I’m on no medications … I can still bench over 300lbs

I do work out
.. weights and cardio
Not high impact

I feel great ..
most of my same age friends are on some medications .. I’ve cut down on breads , sugars and carbs .. that’s my conclusion

Oh, and I haven’t had a sick day in 8 years
I’m just curious if you’re willing to share your blood type? I’m wondering because it sounds like you’re thriving on this diet and I’ve read the book about the Blood type diet and according to it you should be a type O. Type A is supposed to be vegetarian and that does seem to agree with me more because my digestive system does not like red meat. Many people who are working an alternative cancer program like this book but I find it too restrictive.

Old 09-14-2021, 02:36 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,774,686 times
I am not buying the "genes and blood types" diet hypothesis. Human populations branched out from a small group in Africa. There was no way that small group of people had the "Inuit" diet gene, or the "Japanese" diet gene, or the "Vegetarian" diet blood. Out of sheer need for survival, they ate what was available to them and their body got used to eating that.

Similarly inmates in prisons eat what they are told to eat. They are not dropping dead. If somebody puts a gun to my head and make me eat a vegetarian diet, I am sure my body will adapt to me keep alive.

Last edited by davidt1; 09-14-2021 at 02:49 PM..

Old 09-14-2021, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I’m just curious if you’re willing to share your blood type? I’m wondering because it sounds like you’re thriving on this diet and I’ve read the book about the Blood type diet and according to it you should be a type O. Type A is supposed to be vegetarian and that does seem to agree with me more because my digestive system does not like red meat. Many people who are working an alternative cancer program like this book but I find it too restrictive.
I read that book last year after someone posted about it here. I am type O and was surprised how closely his food suggestions matched what I had already discovered on my own for the most part.

If you look at the type O sample meal plans, it's not even close to a 90% meat diet.

It could be a coincidence that it's a close match for me, or maybe it's a good general guideline for anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I am not buying the "genes and blood types" diet hypothesis. Human populations branched out from a small group in Africa. There was no way that small group of people had the "Inuit" diet gene, or the "Japanese" diet gene, or the "Vegetarian" diet blood. Out of sheer need for survival, they ate what was available to them and their body got used to eating that.
That is how genes evolved over many generations.

"As a result of multiple changes and migrations, individuals now carry a patchwork of genetic traits that defines what an individualised healthy diet would look like."

https://www.cell.com/current-biology...822(17)30878-3

Quote:
Similarly inmates in prisons eat what they are told to eat. They are not dropping dead. If somebody puts a gun to my head and make me eat a vegetarian diet, I am sure my body will adapt to me keep alive.
Alive...but would you be healthy long term?

Old 09-15-2021, 04:20 AM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
I usually eat 2 to 3 dozen eggs a week and they go-down fine.

In fact, nearly all animal-based foods seem to agree just fine with
my digestive-system.

Now about those fibrous, plant-based foods.....different story.

Old 09-15-2021, 11:21 PM

6,931 posts, read 6,864,193 times
Our gut flora will adapt to what we need to process and what we eat. So, now there might be a link between gut flora and certain diseases such as altzheimers too.
Link Healthy Gut Ecosystem

"Vegetarian" diets can include all kinds of things which may not be ideal and if you had gone on a long-haul plane ride you will know they offer about 3 different types of veggie meals. Vegan diets are supposed to be good in that they have lots of green leafy veggies, nuts, seeds, etc. which reduce inflammation and provide fibre.

Meat tends to hang around in the gut for longer than fibrous veggies and can also get stuck in the pockets and folds in our gut leading to digestive problems and the inefficient absorbing of vitamins and minerals into the bloodstream.

The links in the original post have a list of sources which are accessed by going to the tabs below the video and clicking on the Sources tab. The guy, Dr Greger, is aware that the food industry lobbies and pays for papers and reports which are pro-(whatever)-industry and mentions that in some of his transcripts and videos.

Thread and Information about guts which are pencil-thin at the time of death. Pencil-thin due to being caked with old meat and toxic waste. A vegan/vegetarian diet helps to clear all that stuff out.

Old 09-16-2021, 08:03 AM

It's a myth that meats just sit in your gut. Fish and meat are more complex molecules so take a little longer to break down and move through.

Plants are the foods that ferment (rot) in the gut. This is a good thing as "good" bacteria thrive on it.

Fiber is necessary for a healthy gut and balanced microbiome. How much depends on the individual.

Old 09-18-2021, 06:26 AM

1,199 posts, read 659,450 times
I'm one who chooses moderation. I ate a SAD for years, then slowly began to eat healthier until it became an obsession. then I went vegan overnight in February 2011 and was vegan for just over six years until the end of May 2017. I was very strict vegan, and the first few years whole foods plant based with no soy, no fake "meat" and "cheese" very little processed food. I even made my own plant milks from scratch, my own bread, my own nut based "mayo". At times I was raw vegan and that's when the digestive issues and allergies began. The more restrictive with diet I became I soon realized, the worse for my digestion and the more the food allergies struck. I am now deathly allergic to beets and beet products. I am also allergic to nutritional yeast (both will cause immediate tachycardia, hives, numb/tingling lips and fingers, queasiness). There are many vegetables I used to eat raw that my body rebels against if I eat raw now, especially leafy greens.

Eating a vegan diet (and I was vegan ethically also so I avoided leather, wool, silk etc and did vegan activism) triggered a relapse into my anorexia and it was a long hard fought battle to overcome.

I stepped down to lacto ovo pescetarian in December 2017 and have been eating that way ever since. I average 3-4 eggs per week, a serving of dairy most days but not all, and I eat fish generally once per week, sometimes more or less. Otherwise I still eat mostly plant based and include cooked foods, beans, grains, nuts and seeds, fruits and vegetables almost daily.

I feel this works for me and I get everything I need in my diet. Adding back fish actually did something to help boost my iron and I am no longer borderline anemic as I was my entire time as a vegan. I eat mostly cold water fatty fish like trout, salmon, walleye, mackeral etc. but also oysters, sardines, cod, occasional tuna. I like the DHA/EPA I can get directly from fish, and the b12 I can get from dairy, fish, eggs as well as natural vitamin D (not fortified) from fish and eggs. I get more zinc too. It's not a ton since I don't eat fish or eggs daily but it's far more than i was getting. My body does not do well with supplements though I still supplement D3 and occasional B12. I just feel this works personally for me and it doesn't have to be all or nothing. I don't cut out sugar though I don't eat a lot of processed foods. I eat honey, Minnesota maple syrup, I also eat pasta once a week. I find as I get older I need more protein and my body can handle less fiber than the huge amount I was getting as a vegan, and especially raw vegan. I get more gas, bloat, cramps, diarrhea with increased consumption (beyond my usual five or six servings of fruits and veggies daily). Raw leafy greens will give me an awful smell with farts, like wretched. Cooked also but less so. I'm not a huge eater so that cup of plain Greek yogurt I eat often can give me 23 grams of complete amino acids without a ton of volume or energy, and it is easy for my body to digest and does not interfere with exercise. I save my bean, whole grain, vegetable meals for dinner but I eat early dinner at 5pm so by the time I go to bed all that food isn't still sitting in my stomach.

I also found that even after 6.5 years of not consuming a drop of dairy, eggs, or fish, that I was able to add back eggs seamlessly with no problems. Dairy and fish caused slight nausea the first few times I ate them but my body quickly adapted. Now it seems they cause no issues for my touchy intestines compared to higher fiber meals.

Old 09-18-2021, 09:47 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,774,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
It's a myth that meats just sit in your gut. Fish and meat are more complex molecules so take a little longer to break down and move through.

Plants are the foods that ferment (rot) in the gut. This is a good thing as "good" bacteria thrive on it.

Fiber is necessary for a healthy gut and balanced microbiome. How much depends on the individual.
It's like you said earlier, everyone is different. Laura Spath, a mom with young kids, thrives on a carnivore diet with no fiber. I am sure she wants to be around for a long time to watch them grow up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUiEvRTC6b4

Last edited by davidt1; 09-18-2021 at 10:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness