Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2021, 06:08 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,658,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
The bigger question is "Will the results of the test change anything you do?"

The answer is "No." If you feel you have any infection, you should be observing all the rules of hygiene your mother taught you, regardless of the specific bug...If it turns out you getting sicker than a typical cold, you'll go to the hosp and they'll do the necessary tests to see if there's specific treatment.

Remember that the survival rate for CoViD is now 99.4%...
But it would be bad if they are part of the 700K that were part of the 0.6%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2021, 06:10 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,765,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
I woke up today with symptoms that feel exactly like a common cold — pretty bad sore throat, stuffy nose, a little bit of fatigue, a little headache, a little chest congestion, mild, infrequent cough. No fever. No loss of smell. (I am also fully vaccinated and, as far as I know not been exposed to anyone with Covid.)

I am thinking that I probably should go get tested anyway, right? I know it is entirely possible to have Covid and be asymptomatic, but could one have Covid and have pretty strong head cold symptoms (but no fever, no loss of smell etc.). I have read that fever is one of the most common Covid symptoms and sore throat and stuffy two of the less common symptoms.

But no way to know without an actual test, right?

I have already signed up for a Covid test (the lab test, not the rapid test) tomorrow morning and I suppose I am just looking for confirmation that I am not being ridiculous or overly cautious by going for the test (the test appointment is in the middle of the day tomorrow and has basically “ruined” our plans, not that I would want to be out and about with a head cold anyway).
Sounds like a common cold (knock on wood, haven't had one of those for many years) - or just general sinus issues.

Old 09-10-2021, 06:19 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,244,809 times
So the vaccine doesn’t work?

Old 09-10-2021, 09:44 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,245,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
So the vaccine doesn’t work?
The vaccine works. With any vaccine there is still a chance that you will come down with this — whatever it is. The likelihood of you dying is practically nil. And the few who do get it and the even fewer who do die, are extremely compromised.

Old 09-10-2021, 10:04 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,355,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
The vaccine works. With any vaccine there is still a chance that you will come down with this — whatever it is. The likelihood of you dying is practically nil. And the few who do get it and the even fewer who do die, are extremely compromised.
The likelihood of dying without a vaccination is just as nil. I know tons of people, including myself, snd no one came close to dying or waiver hospitalized.

Old 09-10-2021, 11:26 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,883,528 times
I got a COVID test yesterday due to a co-worker that got a positive COVID test. Ironically I had a headache around the time I got my results in. Negative. I'm vaccinated but we never know.

Old 09-11-2021, 04:49 AM

276 posts, read 282,580 times
Forget the inaccurate Rapid Covid Test.. what a waste of time, so many false positives and false negatives.. skip it and get a PCR test immediately.. usually takes 24 to 48 hours but worth the wait!

Old 09-11-2021, 06:42 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,180,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetotravel15 View Post
Forget the inaccurate Rapid Covid Test.. what a waste of time, so many false positives and false negatives.. skip it and get a PCR test immediately.. usually takes 24 to 48 hours but worth the wait!
I think the point about false negatives is fair, but I believe the tests are now fairy accurate about positives. Of course, to your point above, if you get a positive, you should quickly follow it up with a PCR/molecular test.

I think the benefit of the home test first is that if you get a positive, you can immediately change behavior and habits while you are scheduling and awaiting results of a PCR test. Staying home from school, work, social situations etc. That can buy several days where you might otherwise be out and about transmitting the virus.

Old 09-11-2021, 06:51 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
The likelihood of dying without a vaccination is just as nil. I know tons of people, including myself, snd no one came close to dying or waiver hospitalized.
Interesting. Just in the past week, here in Texas, three people who friends worked with died from COVID. None were vaccinated. All were under 50. Between them they had about 12 kids.

Old 09-11-2021, 07:17 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,213,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
I think the point about false negatives is fair, but I believe the tests are now fairy accurate about positives. Of course, to your point above, if you get a positive, you should quickly follow it up with a PCR/molecular test.

I think the benefit of the home test first is that if you get a positive, you can immediately change behavior and habits while you are scheduling and awaiting results of a PCR test. Staying home from school, work, social situations etc. That can buy several days where you might otherwise be out and about transmitting the virus.
I would hope that anyone with "just" a cold or regular flu is not out mingling with the rest of us. If any of y'all have symptoms of anything please don't willingly go about your business exposing others just because it ain't Covid. I may be alone in my opinion but I'd rather not have a cold if I can avoid it. Just living my life in fear and loving every minute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness