Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2021, 01:13 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,342,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Pray it's common cold.
If that's the case, you are automatically immune to COVID after, as common cold rhinovirus develops immunity covering entire family of them.
This is not true, and it's dangerous to post this kind of misinformation. Having a cold does not make one automatically immune to COVID. It MIGHT provide some immunity. This was a single study.

From the author of the study, "“Although it is likely that a common cold virus, such as rhinovirus, would induce a strong innate immune response that could block SARS-CoV-2 infections, it would still require both infections to occur at a similar time.”

If everyone that's had a common cold developed some immunity to Covid, we wouldn't be in a pandemic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2021, 02:41 PM

2,391 posts, read 1,404,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
So did you test? CVS is usually within 24 hours for everyone I know that tested there
Yes, I got tested yesterday, late morning. I had the lab test (not the rapid test) at a CVS drive-through. I only had to wait about 40 minutes or so. Not great, not horrible. I am still waiting on the results which were promised within 1-2 days.

I am seriously thinking it is just a common cold though. It is going through all the typical stages of most of the common colds I have ever had.

We’ll see …

Old 09-12-2021, 04:58 PM

2,218 posts, read 2,938,692 times
I heard the symptoms with the Delta variant can differ from the other variants. Those symptoms appear to be more like the common cold or possibly allergies and not the coughing and loss of smell/taste like previously noted. But I think we all can have varying symptoms so it is always best to get tested like you did. Hope your test is negative!

Old 09-12-2021, 05:08 PM

2,218 posts, read 2,938,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
One thing I hope we've all learned through this is that if we're sick, STAY HOME. And also, wash hands more frequently, social distance more, etc. And personally I hope that we see more masks even after the pandemic is over.

Lord, please let it be over soon. AUGH.
My husband and I have decided that regardless of covid we will probably wear a mask in crowded stores in the winter. We never liked being out with people constantly coughing (and not covering their mouth). We'd always give each other that look and then turn and walk the other way. And if you ever saw how much people spit when they talk....gross!

And I never got those people that walk right up into your personal space and just stand there so close. It wasn't cool then and it is not cool now.

And hand washing.....I was just in the food store (in the checkout line) and a young lady was washing (without gloves on) all the nasty floor mats right by where we were standing. She then walked up to start bagging our groceries with her dirty hands that were just on all those dirty floor mats!

Old 09-12-2021, 06:41 PM

2,391 posts, read 1,404,512 times
Quote:
One thing I hope we've all learned through this is that if we're sick, STAY HOME. And also, wash hands more frequently, social distance more, etc. And personally I hope that we see more masks even after the pandemic is over.

Lord, please let it be over soon. AUGH.
Honestly, staying home when sick is just not practical for many, even most people. I just did a quick Google search and … did you know that the common cold virus stays in your body up to 3 weeks? While people are most contagious in the first 2 to 4 days, it is certainly possible to be contagious much longer than that. I know that I often cough for days, even weeks after the onset of a cold. No way that I or other people with a common cold are just going to stay home for 2 to 3 weeks until all their symptoms clear and they are not at all contagious any more. Even missing work for a couple of days is difficult for some people …

Masking up? Yes. Staying home? No.

BTW, my results were negative. No Covid, just the common cold. I do plan on keeping my medical appear tomorrow, but will wear a mask of course.

Old 09-12-2021, 07:21 PM

3,433 posts, read 2,401,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
The bigger question is "Will the results of the test change anything you do?"

The answer is "No." If you feel you have any infection, you should be observing all the rules of hygiene your mother taught you, regardless of the specific bug...If it turns out you getting sicker than a typical cold, you'll go to the hosp and they'll do the necessary tests to see if there's specific treatment.

Remember that the survival rate for CoViD is now 99.4%...
Hopefully the results of the test WOULD change what she does, if the results are "positive."

If the result is "positive," since she IS symptomatic but not with any life-threatening symptoms, the right thing to do would be to self-quarantine for a few days. And if she HAS to leave the house, to wear a 3-layer or KN95 mask everywhere she goes when she leaves (other than her own vehicle - unless someone is with her in which case she should wear the mask then too).

Especially here in Florida, home of "oh no you dittent" mask prohibition.

Also thank you for getting tested Jill. And thank you for being genuinely concerned about your fellow Floridian and wearing a mask "anyway." I do the same. Two humans in a sea of automatons...

Old 09-12-2021, 07:44 PM

801 posts, read 452,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
I woke up today with symptoms that feel exactly like a common cold — pretty bad sore throat, stuffy nose, a little bit of fatigue, a little headache, a little chest congestion, mild, infrequent cough. No fever. No loss of smell. (I am also fully vaccinated and, as far as I know not been exposed to anyone with Covid.)

I am thinking that I probably should go get tested anyway, right? I know it is entirely possible to have Covid and be asymptomatic, but could one have Covid and have pretty strong head cold symptoms (but no fever, no loss of smell etc.). I have read that fever is one of the most common Covid symptoms and sore throat and stuffy two of the less common symptoms.

But no way to know without an actual test, right?

I have already signed up for a Covid test (the lab test, not the rapid test) tomorrow morning and I suppose I am just looking for confirmation that I am not being ridiculous or overly cautious by going for the test (the test appointment is in the middle of the day tomorrow and has basically “ruined” our plans, not that I would want to be out and about with a head cold anyway).
Here ya go. Basically the symptoms of a cold vs Covid Delta after being vaccinated fully are very similar so it IS hard to tell. This might help though:
https://www.eatthis.com/news-delta-c...mmon-symptoms/

Best of luck.
But unless you just want to get the test, there's no real good reason too. But if it's easy and/or free/affordable, why not?

The great thing is that very few people develop bad illnesses or long term issues after being fully vaccinated!

Old 09-12-2021, 07:49 PM

801 posts, read 452,055 times
Quote:
I don't know. And for the record, I didn't personally know anyone who died. I also don't personally know anyone who has been hospitalized. I do know quite a few people who have gotten sick, or tested positive and been either mildly sick or completely asymptomatic.
On the other hand, everyone I know, knows someone has died and that includes 3 different states on 2 coasts.
My sister and uncle both died from Covid last November before there was a vaccine, and recently my wife knew a couple people who died in Mexico.

Stats say that mostly it is the unvaccinated that die and the above would coincide with that conclusion (ie everyone that died in the paragraph above were unvaccinated).

I have not personally known anyone who went to the hospital or died since they got vaccinated. The % is small according to stats .

Old 09-12-2021, 07:56 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
My husband and I have decided that regardless of covid we will probably wear a mask in crowded stores in the winter. We never liked being out with people constantly coughing (and not covering their mouth). We'd always give each other that look and then turn and walk the other way. And if you ever saw how much people spit when they talk....gross!

And I never got those people that walk right up into your personal space and just stand there so close. It wasn't cool then and it is not cool now.

And hand washing.....I was just in the food store (in the checkout line) and a young lady was washing (without gloves on) all the nasty floor mats right by where we were standing. She then walked up to start bagging our groceries with her dirty hands that were just on all those dirty floor mats!
Augh!

When this thing first started up, when it was first ramping up but no mandates were in place yet (I guess early last March?) I was in a restaurant. The pandemic was on my mind and I was observing people. I watched a group of soccer players come in and sit at a very crowded table together. Zero social distancing, yelling and shouting in each other's faces, etc. I noticed a soccer mom or coach or whatever sitting there, clearly struggling with a cold or something, sneezing, coughing, not covering her mouth at all. Then I watched as she got up, went over to the bar, ran her hands all up and down the bar as she paced along it till she found some napkins. Then, coughing on the napkins, she also ruffled through them so to speak, before, I guess deciding she didn't want one after all. She slowly made her coughing and sneezing way back down the bar, dragging her hand along the entire bar, and then wandered back to the crowded table, sat down between some people, and the meal went on as she sat there continuing to cough, and talk with people, and the spit was just flying from everyone.

It was shocking. I remember clearly thinking then, "We're doomed."

Old 09-12-2021, 07:57 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
Honestly, staying home when sick is just not practical for many, even most people. I just did a quick Google search and … did you know that the common cold virus stays in your body up to 3 weeks? While people are most contagious in the first 2 to 4 days, it is certainly possible to be contagious much longer than that. I know that I often cough for days, even weeks after the onset of a cold. No way that I or other people with a common cold are just going to stay home for 2 to 3 weeks until all their symptoms clear and they are not at all contagious any more. Even missing work for a couple of days is difficult for some people …

Masking up? Yes. Staying home? No.

BTW, my results were negative. No Covid, just the common cold. I do plan on keeping my medical appear tomorrow, but will wear a mask of course.
I just mean stay home basically if you have a fever, or in the case of a cold, probably the first few days when you're most contagious. After that, mask up. No one wants to be coughed on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness