Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2021, 12:38 PM

6,362 posts, read 4,187,402 times

Advertisements

My wife has a terrible time trying sleep at night. It often takes an hour to fall asleep and most of the time, she seems to wake after 4 or 5 hours. She has tried every supplement including magnesium, melatonin, CBD oil, ashwaganda and fish oil as well as over the counter sleep aids. It seems none of these work well enough for her to stay asleep, and the over the counter sleep aids make her extremely groggy in the morning. She would love to find something that will help her feel rested and refreshed in the morning.

There is one prescription med that works for her, trazodone, but she’s been taking that for many years and would like to stop taking it eventually, it can build up in her system and create problems especially when taken in the early morning hours. She is at a loss in finding a sleep aid that would be safe to take on a regular basis. She is not interested in taking one of the major prescription sleep aids like Ambien or Lunesta, Restoril, etc. - she tried those years ago and they were too strong for her. She also will not take more than 50mg of trazodone in one night.

Does anyone happen to have any advice or recommendations - any news products on the market that her PCP may not be aware of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2021, 02:53 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,501,251 times
Why is your wife taking Trazodone in the early morning hours? My doctor prescribed me a low dose of Trazodone (for insomnia) and it works beautifully. I take it at 9 pm, and it helps me sleep better. By the time the sun comes up, it's worn off. What time did your wife's doctor tell her to take it?

Old 09-13-2021, 03:04 PM

6,362 posts, read 4,187,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkatbar View Post
Why is your wife taking Trazodone in the early morning hours? My doctor prescribed me a low dose of Trazodone (for insomnia) and it works beautifully. I take it at 9 pm, and it helps me sleep better. By the time the sun comes up, it's worn off. What time did your wife's doctor tell her to take it?
If she takes it when going to bed, she will still wake at 3 or 4 in the morning, it doesn’t last her all night.

She’s trying to figure out if there’s something to take at 3 or 4 in the am that will allow her to get back to sleep and to wake without the grogginess. Thank you

Old 09-13-2021, 03:10 PM

708 posts, read 1,296,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
If she takes it when going to bed, she will still wake at 3 or 4 in the morning, it doesn’t last her all night.

She’s trying to figure out if there’s something to take at 3 or 4 in the am that will allow her to get back to sleep and to wake without the grogginess. Thank you
Tizanidine. Does wonders for me. Also, I've been taking Ambien for over 30 years with no problems-

Old 09-13-2021, 03:14 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
A forum search would turn up multiple threads about this OP.

Old 09-13-2021, 03:35 PM

5,712 posts, read 4,289,046 times
Including an active one from just a few days ago that is still on the first page https://www.city-data.com/forum/heal...n-help-my.html

Old 09-13-2021, 05:15 PM

9,132 posts, read 6,185,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Including an active one from just a few days ago that is still on the first page https://www.city-data.com/forum/heal...n-help-my.html

Well - he writes about his GF, his wife, and his friend. Lots of sleep deprived people in his universe.

Old 09-14-2021, 05:27 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
My wife has a terrible time trying sleep at night. It often takes an hour to fall asleep and most of the time, she seems to wake after 4 or 5 hours. She has tried every supplement including magnesium, melatonin, CBD oil, ashwaganda and fish oil as well as over the counter sleep aids. It seems none of these work well enough for her to stay asleep, and the over the counter sleep aids make her extremely groggy in the morning. She would love to find something that will help her feel rested and refreshed in the morning.

There is one prescription med that works for her, trazodone, but she’s been taking that for many years and would like to stop taking it eventually, it can build up in her system and create problems especially when taken in the early morning hours. She is at a loss in finding a sleep aid that would be safe to take on a regular basis. She is not interested in taking one of the major prescription sleep aids like Ambien or Lunesta, Restoril, etc. - she tried those years ago and they were too strong for her. She also will not take more than 50mg of trazodone in one night.

Does anyone happen to have any advice or recommendations - any news products on the market that her PCP may not be aware of?

How old is she? Could be hormone related, could just be her body. My daughter and I suffer.

Has she tried the OTC midnite? Put one on her tongue an hour before bed, if it isn't working within 30 minutes, take another and try again when she wakes at 3 or 4.

Unfortunately, for me, Lunesta is the best product hands down. One can be more than enough for me so I cut them in half. Lunesta does not have a score line to cut in half but half does work uniformly every time. If I wake up and I'm still sleepy, I'll take a midnite and the other half of lunesta. Close my eyes, it doesn't take long to fall back asleep.

If I wake up wide awake, I just get out of bed. I've been up since 2:30am, I don't recall when I finally fell asleep, probably about 8.

My daughter uses the equate soft gel unisom that I buy in 100 caps. Sometimes they only have the 23 caps for $4.

Old 09-14-2021, 05:47 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Well - he writes about his GF, his wife, and his friend. Lots of sleep deprived people in his universe.

Not only that, it's turned into how horny he is and is it related? I guess he can't figure out to take care of that himself lol

Old 09-14-2021, 07:14 AM

2,098 posts, read 2,501,251 times
Quote:

I would suggest going to a sleep doctor if this is really bothering her. I did and they had a lot of useful information about sleep hygiene and corrected some bad habits I had. Some things they told me:

-Never nap during the day. It will disrupt your nighttime sleep.

-Keep the same schedule every night and only stay in bed for 8 (approx) hours. If you do not sleep that entire time, still get up at your normal hour. You will be more tired and better set up to sleep well the following night. But you have to train your body to form good sleep patterns (I was trying to spend too long in bed making up for bad sleep and waking in the night--and it was making the problem worse!)

-Exercise is helpful. Don't eat anything right before bed.

Also, with regards to the Trazodone and waking at 3-4 AM, some of what you are describing could just be normal sleep patterns. It is normal to sleep fairly well and deeply in longer stretches at the beginning of the night. As you get towards morning, those sleep stretches get shorter and you will find yourself waking more often. But it is normal for people to wake up multiple times during the night.

If she wakes up at 3-4 AM (that's when I start becoming more awake, too) I would suggest she have something like an audiobook and earbuds that she can set on a 15 minute timer. Have the book read to her quietly in 15 minute intervals. This puts me right back to sleep. I still wake up a little bit later because again, it's normal to sleep in shorter stretches as you near morning, but it helps me get those last few sleep hours in, OR if I'm not able to fall asleep, I have a nice book to relax and listen to rather than getting anxious over the fact that I can't sleep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness