Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2021, 07:28 AM

110 posts, read 83,684 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I was just wondering if anyone else here does shift work and how it affects their sleep. I alternate between morning shifts (7 to 3) and evenings (3 to 11) so I feel like I'm constantly having to shift my body clock between being a morning lark and a night owl. I find it hard to go straight to sleep after coming home from an evening shift..I need a couple of hours at least to wind down. I have tried melatonin in the past with mixed results. I find the harder I try to get good sleep, the more it backfires. Anyone else on shift work with good tips?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2021, 09:05 AM

1,381 posts, read 725,411 times
I worked hospital shift work for 45 years and my sleep was always crappy. I got on straight evenings and that help a bit but then was switched to days which was worse as I am more of an evening person. I never had a sleep routine and all my co-workers had similar problems with sleep. I think everyone was always living in a state of sleep depravation. Personally, I tried a boat load of herbs and meds but none of it worked very well. I understand needing to wind down after an evening shift. I literally would get home at 12mn and be up until 3-4am.

I am retired now and my sleep is still crappy but went to a sleep doc and he said the foundation for good sleep is to have a sleep routine. So, I am trying to be on one and I think it is helping. The sleep Dr put me on 150mg of Trazodone and 10mg of Melatonin and now I can get 7-8 hrs of solid sleep.

Is it possible to get on one shift, even for awhile? I get it, it is very difficult.

Old 09-18-2021, 09:28 AM

110 posts, read 83,684 times
I would prefer just one shift, but unfortunately I can't. What I've thought of trying is trying go to sleep at roughly the same time, no matter what...so sometime between 11 and 12. This would work for morning shifts because 6 hours is usually my sweet spot for sleep...and then maybe just lieing in a dark room and relaxing after an evening shift. I often watch TV and look at screens late at night which probably is not helping at all

Old 09-18-2021, 10:26 AM

1,381 posts, read 725,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froscow View Post
I would prefer just one shift, but unfortunately I can't. What I've thought of trying is trying go to sleep at roughly the same time, no matter what...so sometime between 11 and 12. This would work for morning shifts because 6 hours is usually my sweet spot for sleep...and then maybe just lieing in a dark room and relaxing after an evening shift. I often watch TV and look at screens late at night which probably is not helping at all
Well, one of the primary things the sleep doc told me was to not read, watch TV or use any electronics while in bed. All of it is too stimulating, takes our energy to concentrate etc. This was a killer for me as I read in bed a lot. But I have lessoned it, not totally given it up and I am getting decent sleep.

It will take you some time to adjust but I think you should try your plan. If you take anything, like Melatonin, take it an hour before you go to bed. At least, that is what the doc told me to do with what I take.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness