Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2021, 05:41 AM

230 posts, read 216,013 times

Advertisements

My doctor ordered me to get an X-Ray of my cervical spine due to chronic neck tension/strain I've been having for the past year. I got the procedure done last week on Monday. I have yet to hear back from my doctor. After I got the procedure done, the tech told me that the Radiologist has to review the images and he'll send the information to my GP. I asked the tech if my results would be mailed to me. She stated that my doctor would get in contact with me. Give it a few days. By then, if I had no information call them.

I called my doctor's office to see if they got my results. The receptionist told me that they can't give me this information over the phone and that I'll have to come back in and discuss the results with him.

I really want to know my results and see if there were any abnormalities found. However, if they don't call does that mean I'm good?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2021, 05:47 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
I always operated under the assumption of no call, no problem. Then my doctor told me that wasn't good because things can still fall through the cracks.

I'd do as suggested and make an appointment and go in.

Old 09-22-2021, 06:01 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,185,322 times
Often a doctor's office will say they'll only contact you if results are abnormal, but like the poster above, I don't like to rely on that so I always call the office. It's possible the Radiologist has not yet read them or the Radiologist has read them and sent the report to your doctor who hasn't contacted you yet.

Your PCP wanting to discuss them with you does not necessarily mean there are abnormalities, but to explain them to you to ensure you understand them. A Diagnostic Radiologist's customer is other physicians, not patients, and as such, Rads reports are not written directed to the layperson. They also have the tendency to report any and everything that could possibly be abnormal to do CYA.

As the patient, you can, and should, get a copy of the radiology report. With my doctors, once the ordering physician has reviewed them and signed off, the report itself is usually available to me on the patient portal. I've never had to go in and discuss with them directly, but I have had to discuss over the phone.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 09-22-2021 at 06:31 AM..

Old 09-22-2021, 10:12 AM

9,131 posts, read 6,180,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCT2019 View Post
My doctor ordered me to get an X-Ray of my cervical spine due to chronic neck tension/strain I've been having for the past year. I got the procedure done last week on Monday. I have yet to hear back from my doctor. After I got the procedure done, the tech told me that the Radiologist has to review the images and he'll send the information to my GP. I asked the tech if my results would be mailed to me. She stated that my doctor would get in contact with me. Give it a few days. By then, if I had no information call them.

I called my doctor's office to see if they got my results. The receptionist told me that they can't give me this information over the phone and that I'll have to come back in and discuss the results with him.

I really want to know my results and see if there were any abnormalities found. However, if they don't call does that mean I'm good?
Not sure about the test results, but definitely bad doctor. He or someone from his office should always call the patient with test results or a request for patient to visit office.

Old 09-22-2021, 10:27 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,550,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCT2019 View Post

I would call back and ask to speak with the doctor's assistant, rather than rely on the receptionist, who is not qualified to speak to you about your records.

You certainly do have the right to know if the results have been received. If the doctor wants to see you, you have the right to know why before scheduling an appointment.

Old 09-22-2021, 10:46 AM

5,713 posts, read 4,286,950 times
No you can't assume anything, and its only been 7 business days (really 6 full business days...Tues-W-Th-F-M-T). My doctor sends results by snail mail, so a week or two before I get a response is expected. They only recently started doing this online.

Old 09-22-2021, 10:59 AM

1,147 posts, read 862,798 times
You have had the problem for a year and so both you and he consider it a chronic problem or at least an acute exacerbation of a chronic problem. A diagnosis was rendered early on. If the laboratory findings were to reveal an inappropriate diagnosis and thus inappropriate treatment plan then they would get a hold of you immediately after the doctor reads the report and told to come in or to stop the treatment you are doing now. If the report is consistent with his diagnosis and treatment plan then there isn't any urgency in doing anything. I presume you have regular appointments with him.

Normally a followup appointment is scheduled during your office visit when they told you to go get labs and it is to go over the labs and render a final disposition of the case.

People always forget to plan ahead during the office visit. One should always ask the doctor what to do post office visit and that is what do I do if I get worse or better and when should I see you again or do I need to see you again. That is when he will give further instructions. He should say I will call you with results or you need to schedule another appointment to go over everything. or if you don't hear from me then everything is fine. At that time you can give your concerns like I want to know what the results are. Don't leave the office not knowing what future instructions or agreements are. It gets messy if you do that later.

Finally some patients have access to patient portals where they have access to medical information. This allows for review of laboratory data. Some people don't have that but if it is an option then I would definitely go with it.

Things can fall through the cracks and so I do recommend that you make sure that the information is consistent with your situation. There can be medical errors with wrong information or no follow up of serious medical issues for whatever reason.

Old 09-22-2021, 06:15 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,271,596 times
Years ago I had a diagnostic study done (nothing serious, but a situation worth monitoring). The office never called. When I changed providers I got a copy of my chart and discovered the results of that study were positive.

If I don't hear anything, I call. No news may be good news, but maybe not.

I also make sure I am talking to the right person; I've received inaccurate information due to somebody who was in a tearing hurry to end the call.

These days I do get follow-up calls and I check patient portals as well.

Old 09-22-2021, 09:03 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
You should not have to pay for an appointment in order to get your results. The results may show a reason why you need to be seen but you are entitled the information without paying to get it via an in office visit.

I'd call back and request to speak with someone who is authorized to discuss the results with you on the phone, even if they might not be available at that moment and have to call you back.

Old 09-23-2021, 01:44 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
You should not have to pay for an appointment in order to get your results. The results may show a reason why you need to be seen but you are entitled the information without paying to get it via an in office visit.

I'd call back and request to speak with someone who is authorized to discuss the results with you on the phone, even if they might not be available at that moment and have to call you back.
I concur.

If YOU as the patient are Having to call them, the least someone in that office can do, is direct you to the staff member that conveys the results. Goodness gravy, how unprofessional .

My results can be rendered thru the online portal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness