Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2021, 12:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,231 times

Advertisements

I had to go to er. I am vaccinated but very freaked out about the covid. At the er they took my temp orally. If i was thinking clearly, i would have refused. I cant say for sure what type of thermometer was used or how it was sanitized. Maybe there was plastic over it. Now i am experiencing anxiety.

How likely is it i catch the covid from this unpleasant possibilty?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2021, 12:14 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,286,775 times
I would say that chances are low. They do sanitize those things.

Old 09-22-2021, 12:24 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willis Arnold View Post
I had to go to er. I am vaccinated but very freaked out about the covid. At the er they took my temp orally. If i was thinking clearly, i would have refused. I cant say for sure what type of thermometer was used or how it was sanitized. Maybe there was plastic over it. Now i am experiencing anxiety.

I assume the nurse was gloved, gowned, masked right? Any time over the past 20 years a health provider/nurse has taken my oral temperature they used a thermometer with a sterile disposable sleeve over the probe. The sleeve was ejected without being touched and tossed into the hazardous waste container immediately afterward.

Taking a sick person's temperature has got to fall under "potentially contagious patient exam procedure 101". You should find a way to manage your anxiety OP.

Old 09-22-2021, 02:55 PM

17,574 posts, read 13,355,792 times
[quote=Willis Arnold;61967328]I had to go to er. I am vaccinated but very freaked out about the covid. At the er they took my temp orally. If i was thinking clearly, i would have refused. I cant say for sure what type of thermometer was used or how it was sanitized. Maybe there was plastic over it. Now i am experiencing anxiety.

For God sake, take the temp!

Old 09-22-2021, 05:06 PM

5,713 posts, read 4,289,046 times
Quote:

You are vaccinated and the thermometer was sterile. You are more likely to get struck by lightning 3 days in a row than get ill from it.

Old 09-22-2021, 06:01 PM

19,713 posts, read 20,244,680 times
I would think catching covid from all the other sick people in the ER would be more likely than from a thermometer, but maybe that's just the way my mind works...

Old 09-25-2021, 10:06 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Over the past year we've learned how COVID spreads--by particles in their, not from surfaces. You can't get sick from ingesting the virus.

Old 09-25-2021, 10:36 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,581,461 times
Quote:

I’m a RN & most hospitals have their techs use no contact thermometers for easier, faster, safer & more accurate readings. AND…covid is a respiratory virus so it spreads mostly person to person by breathing in or swallowing respiratory “droplets” from sneezing, coughing or talking. I assume the tech or aid that took your vitals was masked & vaccinated. So…nothing to worry. BUT..if you continue to experience anxiety, you might want to talk to your doctor about that.

Old 09-25-2021, 12:56 PM

110 posts, read 83,660 times
Quote:

You don't think they would sanitize it between uses? You sound pretty paranoid. I would not worry about it

Old 09-25-2021, 01:14 PM

5,679 posts, read 2,610,110 times
OP created a profile just to post this. If they come back I would suggest looking in to ways to calm yourself. Learning to deal with nerves and anxiety is very important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness