Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2021, 12:22 PM

7,975 posts, read 7,350,826 times

Advertisements

I've suffered from hyperthyroidism for the past 15 years. I was told then that I had a goiter in my right lobe, nothing serious. I've kept my T readings under control with the use of methimazole medication. Then, the end of May, my voice went very hoarse. I thought it was a summer cold, allergies, etc. I've also become very short of breath. I run daily, but my runs became more difficult due to shortness of breath. Same with the swimming I like to do during the summer. When it didn't go away, I saw my doctor, who sent me for an ultrasound (it took weeks to get that scheduled). I had the ultrasound last week that stated that I now have three nodules in my left lobe and a "massive nodule occupying the entire right lobe". It is calcified. I've read (and been told by a relative who worked for an oncologist) that the calcification is a red light for thyroid cancer. I see the endocrinologist my GP scheduled me with next week.

I'm 61 by the way, and have otherwise been in perfect health. I've suffered from high blood pressure for years, which my doctors could never explain considering my being an optimal weight and in shape and eating a healthy diet and following a healthy life style.

Has this happened to anyone else? What can I expect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2021, 06:01 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
I'm guessing they'll try to take biopsies to determine what type of growth it is - nearly all thyroid cancers are pretty much benign and somewhat slow growing though there are exceptions. I had a thyroidectomy in my 20's and it's not fun but wasn't terrible - took a few days of recovery and it's likely an outpatient procedure these days. At that point they'll be able to definitely tell what the growth is and may advise some radiation afterwards. You'll need to be on thyroid hormones after (like Synthroid or a generic) but you're already used to daily medication.

Good luck - and try not to worry too much until you get the actual diagnosis!

Old 09-28-2021, 09:15 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,350,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I'm guessing they'll try to take biopsies to determine what type of growth it is - nearly all thyroid cancers are pretty much benign and somewhat slow growing though there are exceptions. I had a thyroidectomy in my 20's and it's not fun but wasn't terrible - took a few days of recovery and it's likely an outpatient procedure these days. At that point they'll be able to definitely tell what the growth is and may advise some radiation afterwards. You'll need to be on thyroid hormones after (like Synthroid or a generic) but you're already used to daily medication.

Good luck - and try not to worry too much until you get the actual diagnosis!
Thanks for your supportive post. I've had the needle biopsies in the past (when I still only had one small nodule), but it was benign. I've shared the ultrasound report with my supervisor at work, and gave her the warning that I may be going in for surgery and if so, be out awhile. She's talked to her daughter about it, an RN, who's knowledgeable about thyroidectomy/possible thyroid cancer and what to expect. My supervisor is also a very good friend (she was a very good friend long before she got promoted to being my supervisor), so that helps. She's more concerned about my getting well than filling the (hopefully temporary) employment gap I'm going to leave. I've developed this awful chokey/spasmy cough that freaks everybody out, but I have no control over it.

I'm a school cafeteria cook, and my job is very physical. It's not like I can go back to a light duty "desk job" after my surgery. In my average 6/7 hour shift, I don't sit down, except for my 15 minute break. And it involves a LOT of pretty heavy lifting, bending, carrying, etc. How long do you think it will be that I'll be off work? I'm hoping no longer than a couple of weeks. I'm 61, though, so expecting it may take longer.

Old 09-28-2021, 05:49 PM

7,259 posts, read 5,131,727 times
The nerve that goes to your vocal cords runs down around the thyroid, then back up to the voice box (even God has some bad ideas every once in awhile). The enlarged thyroid is no doubt irritating that nerve, accounting for the hoarseness & cough...That nerve is often injured in thyroid surgery, causing hoarseness. I'm not sure it can be corrected in your case. Ask your surgeon what he thinks.

Because the enlarged thyroid itself is causing problems, at least a partial thyroidectomy is called for, so I don't see any advantage to doing a needle biopsy first....More than half of calcified thyroid nodules are cancer, so you have to get in there to see what it is.

I had a parathyroid tumor removed at age 48. I was admitted early AM, had 4 hrs of surgery and was discharged the next AM, doing my patient rounds before going home....Mine turned out to be cancer (very rare) so I went back for another 4 hr surgery (complete thyroidectomy & neck dissection) four days later. I was wiped out for several days by so much anesthesia, but was back at work after one week. No pain; just tired...Your job involves a little more physical activity, so maybe a couple weeks for recovery.

Some thyroid cancers are good ones to have, if you gotta have cancer. Other are more trouble. Let's hope for the best for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness