Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 11:41 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times

Advertisements

I really loved Black Licorice and now not so sure.

While indulging our sweet-tooth may be a time-honored Halloween tradition, there’s one tasty morsel that could turn out to be more of a trick than a treat for some of us, the Food and Drug Administration warns.

Black licorice can lead to heart arrhythmias and other health problems when consumed by adults in large quantities, the FDA noted in its pre-holiday alert.

Vitals - Scary treat? Black licorice can harm heart, warns the FDA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 11:43 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,551,597 times
My FIL used to love that stuff and then cut it out of his diet. It makes you puff up like a blowfish, too.

Old 10-29-2011, 01:07 AM

2,071 posts, read 6,696,287 times
wow! Like black twizzlers? I had an easy 6 today-lol. Helps me with nasea for some reason. I better cut back.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:58 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,388,499 times
My doctor has my taking licorice every day for my ulcer.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:41 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,797,076 times
I took this quote from the article:
Quote:
It’s long been known in some cultures that licorice was more than just a sweet indulgence. In certain parts of the world, the chewy stuff is prescribed to treat everything from heartburn to bronchitis to viral infections. So far, though, there hasn’t been a study proving that licorice can cure anything, the FDA alert noted.
Apparently, Sloan-Kettering would beg to differ, as they have listed 42 studies about licorice. Sloan-Kettering - Licorice

Quote:
In vitro and animal data show that licorice has antibacterial (2) (27), anticancer (3) (4) (28) (29), anti-inflammatory (30) effects, and estrogenic activity (7) (8) (10). Studies also that suggest licorice can reduce cardiotoxicity associated with doxorubicin (31) and may improve efficiency of chemotherapy (32). However, these effects have not been confirmed in humans.
Licorice demonstrated effectiveness in reducing dyspepsia (1) and hyperlipidemia (33) in clinical studies.
When I went to Australia, I tried their black licorice and went pretty much nuts over the stuff--I know there were several days in a row when I consumed over 2 oz. of it and never had any problems. I know I'm susceptible though as after I got back and I ate too many sweets over the holidays, my heart got seriously off rhythm. Can't blame the licorice as that was months before. Man that stuff was good. However, I think it's good to keep in mind that licorice is a medicine, not a food group. Though maybe my body craved it as I felt especially healthy during that time.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:57 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,687,536 times
When I was studying herbalism treatments, it was emphasized that the herb licorice, while helpful in some treatments of the bowel, particularly in controlling spasms, in high quantities it can affect muscle tissue (including the heart, which is also a muscle) by affecting the cellular potassium content/interchange, and also can be dangerous to the liver. Of course, in candies it is heavily diluted and changed with the addition of sugar and other additives.

Fortunately I loathe it.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:32 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Because there is an ingredient in licorice that may be harmful, the licorice I am taking has been "De-Glycyrrhizinated".

Though I have also chewed licorice root, it is okay.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:15 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,394,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Because there is an ingredient in licorice that may be harmful, the licorice I am taking has been "De-Glycyrrhizinated".

Though I have also chewed licorice root, it is okay.
I was advised to stay away for licorice while I was pregnant as it (or rather the harmful ingrediant) can cause miscarriage and premature birth...

I'm a black licorice lover..... but I do notice if I have too much or certain kinds , my heart feels a bit skippy (I already have a tiny bit of a murmur)

Old 10-31-2011, 05:03 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,806,615 times
I bet doctors would also tell you that caffeine, nicotine, and various other over the counter drugs like cocaine, would be bad for your heart. What a bunch of crap. Worrying about something causing heart damage is probably in and of itself worse for your heart than the vast majority of stuff you can put into your body. Also doctors are notorious for having no sense of humor and being buzz kills. Some way to enjoy life that is.

Old 10-31-2011, 05:59 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
News about licorice being a potential health threat date back to -at least- 1979, before the internet. Anyone taking digitalis (a heart medication, also the primary medical component of the common Foxglove plant) would have been warned by their doctors never to ingest licorice, because the combination is potentially fatal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness