Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2021, 10:26 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
Invisible calories? Does such a thing exist or did you just make that up? These foods are highly palatable because they also contain high amounts of processed fats and carbs and with the combination of sugar makes them less satiating. If it's the sugar that people crave why aren't people over consuming sugar packets?
I made up the phrase ont he spur of the moment, though I doubt I'm the first person who ever said that because it seems intuitive. People expect certain foods to contain lots of calories from sugar, it's no surprise, but they don't expect that of, say, bread and soup. Even people who look at the label to see how much sugar is in their yogurt might not check the sugar content of their bread or soup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2021, 10:47 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,402,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Sugar, especially high fructose corn syrup, is most definitely the problem!

AS well as high sodium and cheap fats and highly processed white flour.

But 130 lbs. of sugar per year per person is causing -- or greatly contributing--to the obesity epidemic. Among other diseases. Science agrees.
Typically at over 100g per day, yes sugar is a problem.

Old 10-14-2021, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I made up the phrase ont he spur of the moment, though I doubt I'm the first person who ever said that because it seems intuitive. People expect certain foods to contain lots of calories from sugar, it's no surprise, but they don't expect that of, say, bread and soup. Even people who look at the label to see how much sugar is in their yogurt might not check the sugar content of their bread or soup.
Except that when you actually do your due diligence and look at the package you will see the majority of those calories comes from highly processed carbs and fats. These are mainly what make these foods irresistible. ie: Pizza, fries, hamburgers, chips

Highly processed foods with added amounts of fat and/or refined carbs were most likely associated with addictive like eating behaviors, NOT sugar.

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/ar...l.pone.0117959

Old 10-14-2021, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJB2024 View Post
No. It's not.
So overconsuming calories is not an issue? We can eat a surplus of calories, gain weight and be perfectly healthy? In what world is this?

Quote:
A calorie is not a calorie because different substances follow different metabolic pathways in the human body. 1000 calories of broccoli and 1000 calories of table sugar will not produce the same insulin response in your body and will not have the same effect on metabolic health and creation of fat within the body.
All calories are the same as it is simply a measure of energy content. All SOURCES of calories aren’t the same on energy expenditure.

Quote:
You seriously have no idea what the hell you're talking about and need to educate yourself and it's not just me saying that. Robert Lustig, pediatric endocrinologist at the University of California San Fransisco, who has researched sugar and how it affects the body for two decades, would disagree with the ignorant garbage you're spewing.
Lustig is a believer in the carbohydrate-insulin model of obesity. A model that has been THOROUGHLY rebuked in dozens of studies. That's the last person I'd listen to for any advice. Also, Lustig's studies on sugar have been shown to have flaws.

Quote:
Therefore, the mechanisms underlying the effects of insulin on adiposity are more complex than proposed by the CIM. Failure of the CIM should not be taken to mean that low-carbohydrate, high-fat diets cannot be beneficial for weight loss. However, direct modulation of the carbohydrate-insulin axis in adipose tissue is unlikely to be the primary mechanism underpinning body fat loss in individuals successfully engaged in such diets. A new model of the role of insulin in obesity is required that is commensurate with data re-futing key aspects of the CIM
https://www.researchgate.net/publica...in_and_obesity

Old 10-14-2021, 01:01 PM

4,537 posts, read 6,795,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Ketchup, salad dressing, mayonnaise, canned soup, spaghetti sauce...none of these things needs sugar, and it wouldn't be any more difficult to reduce the sugar than to reduce the sodium (either way, some people may complain that it "tastes funny," but they would get used to it.)
Not true. Read the book Salt, Sugar, Fat. Spaghetti sauce is made from tomatoes that you couldn't even eat since there are specifically developed for mechanized picking and need to be supplemented with high levels of salt, sugar, and fat to make the "sauce" taste good. The food producers do numerous taste tests to find the "bliss level," the ideal level of sugar, that creates an addiction-type relationship with the product by the user.

Most processed foods are made from ingredients that would be considered inedible in their raw state. Only through the addition of a substantial levels of salt, sugar, and fat do they become desirable by the consumer.

Cut the salt, sugar, and fat in processed foods and many people choose not to eat many items. However, the move to fresh fruits and vegetables is a hard sell to those used to processed foods. In schools as fresh vegetables replaced french fries, grilled chicken replaced nuggets, and strawberry and chocolate milk were scaled back or eliminated sales went down. As sales of full paying students dropped school budgets often had to to cover the losses. This led many schools find ways to move to 100% free/reduced lunch programs paid by the government.

Healthy school initiatives require students to take a complete meal. Unfortunately, the vast majority of the fresh fruits and vegetables are often thrown out uneaten just so the student could get the one or two items the student wants such as a piece of pizza. Since many kid's diets were largely built on processed/fast foods they would often complain that they were hungry because they threw out over half their meal because they didn't like the taste of the healthier alternatives.

Most habits are developed at a young age. Getting an adult used to a diet heavy on processed foods to make the switch to healthier alternatives (especially if more expensive) is a hard sell.

Old 10-14-2021, 01:36 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
Most processed foods are made from ingredients that would be considered inedible in their raw state. Only through the addition of a substantial levels of salt, sugar, and fat do they become desirable by the consumer.
Hmmm. The only thing I don't make on the list I mentioned is ketchup. I make my own salad dressing (oil, vinegar, salt, herbs); mayonnaise (oil, vinegar, egg, mustard); spaghetti sauce (tomatoes, onions, garlic, herbs); soup (meat, vegetables, broth, seasonings). I don't put sugar in any of those things and they all taste great.

Salt, yeah, they need salt. And varying amounts of fat or oil. But I'm just not buying that no one would eat those foods if the sugar was left out. My family would beg to differ.

Old 10-14-2021, 07:50 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,374,083 times
I'd advocate sending every American to Europe for six months and learn how to shop and buy REAL food properly.
Friend went to Amsterdam and said the milk was just like off the farm.

Corn dogs??? We showed cattle two weekends, one Fair in Canada had NO corn dog stands, and the one in Marysvile Wa. with the same attendance had TWICE the fired food kiosks, including several corn dog stands. Enough said. Welcome to cattle country. The heifer show was HUGE.

Old 10-14-2021, 08:12 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
The government can mind their own business about what I eat.

Old 10-14-2021, 08:32 PM

21,836 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
I agree. I'm sick of seeing sugar in everything. Sugar in spaghetti sauce? No thank you.
Amen, completely ruins it. There's some things where I'm definitely on board with sodium. Canned tuna without salt? It's just wrong and I add salt. But I can add salt, can't take out the sugar from spaghetti sauce and it completely ruins the flavor of pastas. Fortunately it's not that difficult to just make your own as it's getting nearly impossible to find spaghetti sauce without sugar in it.

Last edited by Malloric; 10-14-2021 at 08:40 PM..

Old 10-15-2021, 12:23 AM

2,140 posts, read 361,502 times
Fine - reduce sodium content. It’s really hard to find low sodium stuff. People bring it home and add their own salt. I think salt is a truly, provably addictive substance. it is ***miserable*** getting off salt. I’ve done it completely. Mixing in a little salt substitute, then more.

I do not like sweet things. Except for Angel food cake and a rare occasion when I need chocolate, and if I can’t get it I’ll start breaking down walls it’s weird. I have chocolate in the freezer and it almost makes me nauseous unless I’m in that zone. Hormonal probably. I have to force myself to eat ice cream because supposed to be a treat.

I’m all about savory. And by the way, dear article:

Don’t you dare touch my cheese.

I can’t live without cheese. It’s a food group, you know. I don’t eat a lot, I’m careful and I have different ones going 4-5 and they last so long. I don’t need much, but when I need cheese get out of the way. Heck I’m getting upset just thinking about it. My cheeks are getting red just thinking about not having cheese. Well its warm in here. An 8 oz wedge can last me a month. I know how to balance my diet. I love kale. I grew up eating it all the time. What I don’t like is messing with it. So I get chopped frozen kale - it can be put in everything. It’s mild.

Anyway,

They’d better not mess with my cheese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness