Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2021, 01:23 PM

108 posts, read 66,796 times

Advertisements

Evil big food companies don’t dictate what people eat. People form their own attitudes toward health and decide what they eat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2021, 05:20 PM

10,302 posts, read 10,550,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
as i said in another thread, first the govt mandates a vaccine, now they want to control potato chips. Think about it! just saying!
Yep, thought about it and your post doesn't make sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
This. People still really listen to the FDA?????
Of course, who else would I listen to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
Bingo. Most of us under age 60 who are into health and fitness know that salt isn't a problem for most people--it's the Food Pyramid scheme MyPlate of metabolic syndrome brought to you by the USDA.

They'd be more helpful if they started calling grains livestock fatteners.
What the evidence is now showing is more people are sensitive to sodium and it raises blood pressure. Tens of millions of people in this country have high blood pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Read the Salt Fix book. We need more adequate salt levels not less salt. Without taking a measurement of how much salt intake and how much salt we lose a day the FDA is still setting people for failure.

FDA Food pyramid is a complete JOKE.

Yes, listen to the FDA and have 6-11 servings of bread, pastas, and rice and see what that does for your body. So each day you are supposed to eat 3 bagles, or 6 slices of bread, or 6 cups of pastas, atleast.
I doubt there are many people in this country who are not getting enough sodium in their diet. It is difficult to avoid unless you only eat fresh fruits and vegetables.

Old 11-03-2021, 05:40 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,877,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
So overconsuming calories is not an issue? We can eat a surplus of calories, gain weight and be perfectly healthy? In what world is this?

All calories are the same as it is simply a measure of energy content. All SOURCES of calories aren’t the same on energy expenditure.

Lustig is a believer in the carbohydrate-insulin model of obesity. A model that has been THOROUGHLY rebuked in dozens of studies. That's the last person I'd listen to for any advice. Also, Lustig's studies on sugar have been shown to have flaws.

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...in_and_obesity
How many obese people do you know gained 100+ pounds overeating fish, spinach, salad, and drinking water?

Old 06-18-2022, 09:28 AM

7,084 posts, read 12,595,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Yes, this is so important to our health. We eat way, way too much salt--and it's added to so many processed foods--canned and meats and cheeses and sauces and condiments.

The result for too many of us? High blood pressure, cardiac disease, stroke...

I started reading labels and it's eye-opening for sure. Salt is everywhere and in high amounts..

Since I started cutting back on salt, my blood pressure is lowering and I'm losing weight.

If anyone has high blood pressure or heart issues, do some investigating on sodium restriction and how it can really help you. There are lots of good articles out there in medical journals and popular publications.

I just ordered two low-sodium cookbook for more recipes to try...

(my doctor's treatment of my rising blood pressure with age has been to prescribe more medications without counseling me on life style modifications such as salt restriction, exercise and changing my diet...in fact, she told me the only way to control high blood pressure is with medications. It's quite frustrating. Guess we have to be our own doctors??)

Old 06-18-2022, 01:27 PM

761 posts, read 438,724 times
I agree with the many posts that say processed foods are bad.

But how about processed meat like steak. The processing starts while the animal is still alive and they feed it lots of corn and grain while it is confined to a small enclosure. It fattens the animal, changing the nutritional character of the meat and makes it high in omega 6.

Old 06-18-2022, 01:43 PM

15,124 posts, read 27,620,793 times
Curious as to anyone that has lower blood sodium (and I have for as long as I know of) - but also a little high BP. Maybe the blood sodium levels supposed to be "in range" aren't across the board for everyone?

Old 06-18-2022, 02:20 PM

7,084 posts, read 12,595,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Curious as to anyone that has lower blood sodium (and I have for as long as I know of) - but also a little high BP. Maybe the blood sodium levels supposed to be "in range" aren't across the board for everyone?
I think your blood pressure, whether high or normal, depends on how efficient your kidneys are at excreting sodium in your urine--and (possibly) if the linings of your blood vessels are healthy or damaged.

From what I read, blood pressure that rises with age can be related to damaged blood vessel linings--or be the cause of the damage...but I may have interpreted that wrong--not a doctor, just a reader...

Old 06-18-2022, 04:19 PM

15,124 posts, read 27,620,793 times
Interesting - the tests that I have paperwork for dated back into my 20's (and I weighed maybe 90 something pounds) - I just don't think the "range" is accurate for all - for instance: my late husband was 6'4 - I'm almost 5' - "ranges" aren't accurate IMO (but, I'm not a med. professional)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness