Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2021, 03:31 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
If it is so "ho hum" why aren't we doing anything about it?

I mean why are vaccinations mandatory but losing weight isn't when it is PROVEN to increase your risk of hospitalization and death, vaccines or no?
Tell me when you get your fat neighbor to lose 25 pounds and run back and tell me how long it took you...then come back 6 months after that and tell me (IF they succeeded initially) whether they kept it off. In the meantime, how many have died of COVID, TRYING to lose weight. Vaccine is fast and easy and effective.

Doctors advise patients to lose weight all the time...it is not simple or easy, regardless of what currently skinny people say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2021, 03:32 PM

7,237 posts, read 4,546,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
But that's not the same thing as what they are doing with the vax. If you are unvaxed you still get welfare and social security.
I said "but add"

Study after study comes in placing this as a major contributor to illness with covid and no one wants to talk about it.

Old 10-15-2021, 04:01 PM

7,253 posts, read 5,126,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
I would guess "yes" to both since obesity impairs immune response.
Proven only by torturing the numbers so much they finally cave in and confess. Trivial explanation-- sweet body fluids are good culture media. Diabetics are more prone to some bacterial infections, but only marginally more difficult to treat in actual practice. In vitro studies have shown some obscure differences in WBC function-- difficult to extrapolate to practical concerns.

Here's an extensive review-- In several places they mention that viral illness is more common in diabetics--without even one reference study to back up the claim. (How does this crap get past the peer reviewers?) Plenty of references to quantitate the increased problems in bacterial diseases. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8050380/

Old 10-15-2021, 08:10 PM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times
Not getting the vaccine leaves you a breeding ground for developing new strains of covid, and puts others at risk.

Not losing weight only puts you at risk.

Old 10-15-2021, 08:19 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
I said "but add"

Study after study comes in placing this as a major contributor to illness with covid and no one wants to talk about it.
People talk about it all the time. A person who is obese is going to take a long time to safely lose the weight. For people I know who did it successfully, it was at least a year, sometimes three. COVID is killing people today. It’s not helpful to tell someone who is 300 pounds and should ideally be 150 that they would be less at risk for COIVD if they were at 150. They know that. We need to have solutions now, not in 2024.

Old 10-15-2021, 08:51 PM

5,710 posts, read 4,284,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Not getting the vaccine leaves you a breeding ground for developing new strains of covid, and puts others at risk.

Ding! We have a winner of the "why aren't the obese treated the same as the unvaccinated" contest.

Old 10-15-2021, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Ding! We have a winner of the "why aren't the obese treated the same as the unvaccinated" contest.
Wrong. In fact, the vaccinated are more likely to be "breeding grounds" for new mutants--Species only evolve when there is selection pressure-- a changing environment.

In the unvaccinated, a new infection is under no pressure to change. In the vaccinated, the old variant has trouble surviving, but a new variant is the only one with a chance...It's a subtle difference.

And once again, not being obese doesn't make you less likely to get sick. It's just that, once sick, the obese can have longer illness with an increased risk of death.

Keep things in perspective--That study showed that the obese had increased risk of 1.29 (roughly 29% more likely to die https://scitechdaily.com/covid-patie...risk-of-death/, but among risk factors, age >80 increased risk 800% https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33439939/ ...To the DietNazis-- does that mean we should insist no one gets old?

Old 10-16-2021, 08:47 AM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
The more the virus can reproduce, the more variants. End of story. That's why we have all these VOCs, they are all pre vaccine. Most, I'm sure there are some "post".
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-16-2021, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
The more the virus can reproduce, the more variants. End of story. ".
First sentence right. Second sentence wrong.

Playing the card game War-- the guy holding 50 cards is surely going to win. With two cards, highly improbable you'll turn that into a winner.

A new mutant is the guy with only two cards- low numbers in the population, surely to be squeezed out by the variant in highest numbers-- UNLESS the environment changes, giving the new mutation a survival advantage. A vaccine that suppresses the preproduction of the old, but not the new, provides that advantage.

Old 10-16-2021, 09:17 AM

7,237 posts, read 4,546,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
People talk about it all the time. A person who is obese is going to take a long time to safely lose the weight. For people I know who did it successfully, it was at least a year, sometimes three. COVID is killing people today. It’s not helpful to tell someone who is 300 pounds and should ideally be 150 that they would be less at risk for COIVD if they were at 150. They know that. We need to have solutions now, not in 2024.
Too bad. It has been 20 months. I feel they should get the same treatment as unvaccinated people. Which is absolutely no slack.

Quote:
The more the virus can reproduce, the more variants. End of story.
Absolutely. And as we apparently know, fat is a breeding ground for viral replication. Why? fat cells have Ace2 receptors and this is the virus' way to get into the cells. A fat person will have double the viral load of someone who isn't fat.

So, fatties make the virus have variants and they also spread it.

Yet, the authorities do nothing about this.

Shocking really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness