Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2021, 02:32 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,877,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Probably because getting a vaccination requires twenty minutes, one or two times; controlling obesity is a 24/7/365 proposition. Now we need to ask what's the purpose of asking such a question when the answer is glaringly obvious? Just another politically oriented comment where it doesn't belong? Viruses are contagious, being fat is not.
But but but we had months, and years to lose weight and change our Lifestyles. I know some people who did on here, great. That said for others of us it has been a stressful year due to work or not having the ability to have the support to lose weight. I mean Weight Watchers which I have used to lose about 15 pounds in the past month (can't say it is pandemic weight) along with walking and easing back into the gym, the studios for WW were closed.

Many places had issues with gyms. Some states closed them for months on end since many people elected to go maskless for working out. Others that were opened made it next to impossible to workout since you couldn't do an even upper body or lower body day since machines were next to each other. For instance, one had a leg curl machine open but not the complimary leg extender machine. Same with Lat pull downs and Chest presses...

A lot of people also got laid off and couldn't choose what they got from the food pantry or perhaps food stamps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2021, 02:40 PM

7,234 posts, read 4,541,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
A lot of people also got laid off and couldn't choose what they got from the food pantry or perhaps food stamps.
You don't need anything... just stop eating.

It is called fasting.. does wonders.

Old 10-17-2021, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post

Each, no. Tell that to WebMD.
Quote:
It's true that fasting -- that is, eating little to no food -- will result in weight loss, at least in the short term. But the risks far outweigh any benefits, and ultimately, fasting can cause more harm than good.
Follow the science Arya.
Quote:
Dangers of Fasting for Weight Loss

When you dramatically reduce your calorie intake, you will lose*weight. But it can also cause all kinds of health problems, including muscle loss. Further, when you start fasting, your body goes into conservation mode, burning calories more slowly.

Keep in mind that the initial weight lost on a fast is primarily fluid or "water weight," not fat. And when you go back to eating, any lost weight usually gets a return ticket back. Not only do most people regain weight lost on a fast, they tend to add a few extra pounds because a slower*metabolism*makes it easier to gain weight. Worse, the weight that is regained is likely to be all fat -- lost muscle has to be added back at the gym.

Side effects of fasting include*dizziness,*headaches,*low blood sugar, muscle aches,*weakness, and*fatigue. Prolonged fasting can lead to*anemia, a weakened immune system,*liver*and*kidney*problems, and*irregular heartbeat. Fasting can also result in vitamin and mineral deficiencies, muscle breakdown, and*diarrhea. When you drink laxative concoctions during a fast, there is an increased risk of fluid imbalance and*dehydration.

The risks get more complicated and severe the longer you stay on a fast, or if you repeatedly go on fasts.

Old 10-17-2021, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Each, no. Tell that to WebMD.

Follow the science Arya.
There is tons of science that says just the opposite. Of course Web MD is going to say that think of the thousands... that would be lost.

I did fasting lost 50 lbs.. still here!!!

Moderator cut: just don't want to lose weight.

Last edited by in_newengland; 10-17-2021 at 03:26 PM..

Old 10-17-2021, 02:56 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,349,532 times
Quote:

Oh..."FASTING" If you mean true fasting all that does is put the body in starvation mode and it clings to all the fat it can. You're free to start qualifying your statement with something that might realistically be helpful.

But...that losing weight is a LONG-TERM solution - it does nothing to help people right NOW...maybe it helps in a few months. IF they can actually lose appreciable weight and a bigger IF that they have to keep it off.

It's clear you have no understanding or empathy...next we'll hear something along the lines of "let them eat cake!".

Old 10-17-2021, 03:46 PM

Quote:
There is tons of science that says just the opposite. Of course Web MD is going to say that think of the thousands... that would be lost.

I did fasting lost 50 lbs.. still here!!!

Moderator cut: just don't want to lose weight.
I'm glad it worked for you. I'm glad you're here. Losing 50 pounds is tough, keeping said 50 pounds off is tougher. That is because you have to be careful how you work out and how much you do. I don't think even intermittent fasting (otherwise known as IF) is sustainable. It might work for dropping weight for 2, 3 months like bikini season or fitting in a wedding dress. That said, I think k the more sustainable way is diet, portion control and finding an exercise program. The only downside to exercise is you can gain weight through muscle building.

That said, one downside to IF is many people do not get noticeable results, even if done mostly right. It is not uncommon for people to only lose about two pounds a month in their first month as the body adjusts. It is a shock to the system. I have not ate sometimes and my body doesn't like it.

I say this as someone who has lost 50 pounds, gained it back, lost 50 pounds and gained it back again. I know I cycle but it happens overtime and not over one single holiday season or a single 16 month period during the pandemic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Oh..."FASTING" If you mean true fasting all that does is put the body in starvation mode and it clings to all the fat it can. You're free to start qualifying your statement with something that might realistically be helpful.

But...that losing weight is a LONG-TERM solution - it does nothing to help people right NOW...maybe it helps in a few months. IF they can actually lose appreciable weight and a bigger IF that they have to keep it off.

It's clear you have no understanding or empathy...next we'll hear something along the lines of "let them eat cake!".
I am 90% sure Arya was talking IF. IF is not a long-term solution to weight loss. Changing your diet whether it is Keto, Paleo, calorie counting, etc with an exercise program can work. The issue is staying on it and sticking to it, knowing that you will fluctuate during the process and not to just give up.

Old 10-17-2021, 03:53 PM

Quote:
I'm glad it worked for you. I'm glad you're here. Losing 50 pounds is tough, keeping said 50 pounds off is tougher.
All I hear in this thread is excuses. This is an area where people have to be forced or they won't do it. This thread is a testament to that...

Old 10-17-2021, 06:12 PM

Quote:
All I hear in this thread is excuses. This is an area where people have to be forced or they won't do it. This thread is a testament to that...
Not an excuse, just a cold hard fact.

Old 10-17-2021, 07:07 PM

7,473 posts, read 3,215,853 times
Quote:
If it is so "ho hum" why aren't we doing anything about it?

I mean why are vaccinations mandatory but losing weight isn't when it is PROVEN to increase your risk of hospitalization and death, vaccines or no?

Don't forget smokers, alcoholics and drug addicts. Okay, now you have 100% of the population.

Old 10-20-2021, 02:20 PM

5,703 posts, read 4,274,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post

Mutations occur at a constant rate, characteristic of the species-- one base pair substitution every X replications. The new variants didn't "start" in any particular place, they were merely first noted there.

The two are not mutually exclusive. They could start in many places or they could start in one.

Quote:

They didn't "spread" from an initial spot. They occurred coincidently in many places.
Maybe, maybe not. It could happen either way, are there studies showing it happened your way?

Quote:
They did not need "pressure" to mutate. It's the pressure that allowed the frequency of new mutants in the population to increase (or decrease).
Ahhhh...but that's not what you said. Glad you figured it out now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness