Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2021, 10:38 AM

15,425 posts, read 7,482,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rom623 View Post
Maybe they should take a closer look at the studies for Remdesivir.. save some people their kidneys

But either way, nothing is ever given off label in the hospital?
Not if the hospital forbids it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2021, 11:00 AM

1,147 posts, read 861,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Just read the article on Medpage. The doctor was doing research which I doubt was approved because obviously if the research involved Ivermectin then it would have been either approved or denied before his use.

He published a study with incorrect mortality figures from the hospital. The hospital became aware of the off label use rather than labeled as research. The paper with withdrawn by the publisher because of this error.

"Sentara generates treatment guidelines by engaging multi-disciplinary groups of clinicians to review literature, care standards and provide expert advice," the statement continued. "In most situations, physicians are able to deviate from guidelines to individualize care for patients. However, in some scenarios, treatments that may potentially harm patients or that are widely considered to be outside the standard of care may be limited."

Vs the plaintiffs point

"This case is about whether a hospital administration can legally prohibit critically ill COVID patients from receiving information -- and treatment, if they so decide it is medically appropriate for them -- about safe, FDA-approved, and potentially life-saving medicines as determined by their attending physician," Taylor said.

They mention the FDA and I quoted the FDA position on Ivermectin with regards to COVID. Just because it is approved as a dewormer does not mean it is approved for other uses. Other uses is not the standard of care.

Old 11-18-2021, 11:05 AM

1,974 posts, read 1,102,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
This is the interesting part, some courts have ruled in favor of the DR and given a court order for the medicine while others have not.

Old 11-18-2021, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medical Lab Guy View Post
They mention the FDA and I quoted the FDA position on Ivermectin with regards to COVID. Just because it is approved as a dewormer does not mean it is approved for other uses. Other uses is not the standard of care.
So you dont think anything is ever prescribed off label?

Old 11-18-2021, 11:40 AM

19,778 posts, read 18,073,660 times
Quote:
Doctors write off label scripts often. That's beside the point.

1. Marik has limited privileges per his hospital.
2. Marik was recently reprimanded by The VA State Medical Board.......controlled substances scripts to people who were not Marik's patients.
3. Marik's claim to fame is a vitamin C + sugar + water IV treatment for sepsis. It appears likely his claims/work/study per this treatment were either rigged or otherwise amiss. The work has been directly contradicted by a newer study in fact.

_______

I bring up all this because Marik has been touted on the web as, "The World's Leading IM doctor" and similar. He's not the best IM doctor at his own hospital.

______

My DIL is a resident in one of the worlds best IM departments - 3 Nobel Prize winners, a Breakthrough Prize winner, a slew of (like around 100) National Academy of Science, National Academy of Medicine, Hughes Medical Investigators etc.............these people have decided that Ivermectin does not meet minimum standard of care metrics as such it may be, and is, prescribed for covid patients who have worms but not as a treatment for covid. Further, when a patient is admitted with covid who has been treated with Ivermectin that patient's records are noted.

Old 11-18-2021, 11:43 AM

1,147 posts, read 861,964 times
Quote:
Usually between a patient and their doctor as outpatient. Once you get the hospital involved then it's between the patient the doctor and the hospital. In the first instance if the patient dies as a result of it then it's between the doctor and the state medical board. If you die in a hospital then rest assured that the hospital will be sued because that's where the money is. In his case it was him doing studies at the hospital and brining attention to that fact. It's a green light of come here and I will treat you with Ivermectin. I don't know of any hospital who wouldn't do what they did. If he had simply not drawn attention to themselves they might have gotten away with it.

I have used of label my own medicines without my doctors knowledge. I can't sue myself can I?

They can't complain about the attention brought upon themselves and the consequences it generated. Their legal arguments are a joke. He should go the proper research route of getting approval. I doubt he will get that approval now because he screwed up the mortality rate calculation. It appears that he feels he has a right to use the drug anyway he wants to. We will see in court how that turns out.

Old 11-18-2021, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medical Lab Guy View Post
If you die in a hospital then rest assured that the hospital will be sued because that's where the money is.
This is a good point, given there is corruption with our FDA(Remdesivir was no longer recommended Nov 2020 by the WHO), there should be a notification by the hospital that you are being treated off label and hospital will not be held responsible if you wish to continue.

Quote:
It appears that he feels he has a right to use the drug anyway he wants to. We will see in court how that turns out.
He has brought in corroborating doctors like Varon to confirm the effectiveness of his treatment, he isnt on an island.

Even if he can show his protocol is better, not sure it will matter though.

Old 11-18-2021, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I bring up all this because Marik has been touted on the web as, "The World's Leading IM doctor" and similar. He's not the best IM doctor at his own hospital.
Im more interested in his mortality rate using "this" treatment. I would also be concerned if he was going off script with something no one else was doing.
In general, I am far more comfortable being treated with IVM than Remdesivir, whether it was Marik or anyone else.

If any DR wanted to treat me with Remdesivir, that tells me all I need to know about that person. Straight up money grab with INTENTIONAL harm directed at the patient. You have to look after your own health, b/c the FDA has stopped doing it.

Old 11-18-2021, 01:00 PM

11,085 posts, read 7,149,943 times
Anyone can post basically anything on YouTube. Not sure why that or anything posted on the Internet is instantly consider 'fact' and "gospel". It's scary how so many are basically checking their brain at the door. Here, watch this video. Watch that video. I'm unable to speak or formulate words, but check that out! Maybe we'll someday have people using technology to clothe them, feed them, wipe their...

Old 11-18-2021, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Anyone can post basically anything on YouTube. Not sure why that or anything posted on the Internet is instantly consider 'fact' and "gospel". It's scary how so many are basically checking their brain at the door. Here, watch this video. Watch that video. I'm unable to speak or formulate words, but check that out! Maybe we'll someday have people using technology to clothe them, feed them, wipe their...
The video with Dr Varon shows he was interviewed by all media outlets, maybe none of them vetted him?

He has also been written about in many newspapers, again I guess its possible none of them vetted him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness