Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2021, 09:13 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,174,665 times

Advertisements

Parents judge each other for many things. Like how a 3 year old should be places in a car seat in the car. I see parents bragging that their kid is still facing backwards at like 6 and I could care less. But I guess it’s ok to drink during pregnancy.

Old 11-29-2021, 09:29 AM

I also didn’t say anything to her. I’m merely asking about it here. And based on the responses here I am overreacting to what I saw.

Old 11-29-2021, 09:51 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Not drinking during pregnancy is a fairly recent development. My niece is 43. When my sister was pregnant for her, her doc told her not to drink more than 3 alcoholic drinks per day. She didn't drink that much to begin with, so she laughed about it.

The no-drinking-during-pregnancy bit came along in the 1980s around the same time as MADD and the strict drunk-driving laws. It was not just a matter of being judgey. Studies had shown that alcohol could adversely affect fetal development, and Fetal Alcohol Syndrome became named as a condition. A "safe" amount of alcohol during pregnancy could not be determined, so doctors advised that it would be best to abstain altogether.

For the most part, moderate drinking during pregnancy would probably be OK. After all, jillions of pregnant women for centuries before the 1980s drank some wine or beer or cocktails during pregnancy and the majority of resulting children were not affected. The chances are far greater that the kid would be OK than there would be a problem. However, the thinking remains that when a woman is pregnant, it is best to make the healthiest choices to ensure the healthiest babies.

I drank quite a bit in the first month of my pregnancy because it was the Christmas season, there were a lot of work-related parties, and I had no idea I was pregnant
. I'd been not using contraceptives for more than a year and had begun to think I just couldn't conceive. I quit when I found out I was pregnant in early January, but by July, I started having an occasional beer. Just before my due date, I attended a friend's wedding shower. Her Cuban-born mother urged me to have a couple of beers (I didn't because I was refraining in case I went into labor at that point) because it would be good for my milk.

I got pregnant new years eve. I knew I was pregnant really fast due to morning sickness. I stopped drinking.

It is risky doing anything while pregnant these days because they test the pee of the baby when they're born. I'm not sure how extensive the testing is. I know a few people that were taking doctor approved medications, the baby peed dirty, had to stay longer in the hospital.

Back when I was pregnant with my son in 85, I was pretty much told to stop everything. I suffered with nausea really bad with one of my kids, and something else where I was told to just deal with it.

I pumped gas during both of my pregnancies. I also was around chemicals, one that causes cancer. I've already tested positive for exposure. Hopefully neither of my kids were exposed too. I did run their DNA at promethease when I ran mine, it didn't show for them like it did for me, but who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Interesting. I also said I saw her drinking out of a high noon can so yeah I’d say that’s a good sign she was drinking alcohol.

I’ve always heard that drinking alcohol during pregnancy is a big no no. I’m surprised by the responses on this here. It’s been scientifically proven that alcohol use during pregnancy can cause damage to the baby. It seems like people get more upset these days about giving a kid screen vs drinking alcohol while pregnant.

I didn’t drink for either of my pregnancies at all and that’s how my friends and family members were as well. Seems like the least a mother can do to give her kid the best start possible. There’s plenty of other things that will be out of our control.

I didn't drink during mine either. It was rare for me to even take a Tylenol.

This woman is a nurse who has been pregnant 5 times. She knows better then to drink enough where she's looking like she's buzzed.

I have to wonder what else she's putting in her body.

I'm not surprised by the replies you got for asking a question. You were asking if the rules changed, is alcohol allowed now? You're trying to learn about it.

I don't doubt that a lot of people who did see her are talking about her, how shocked they are to see her tipsy while pregnant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPRFmama View Post
Sounds like she might have a problem, especially being a nurse.

That's the thing, she is a nurse. She knows better.

Old 11-29-2021, 12:09 PM

20,932 posts, read 28,414,875 times
My mom smoked 1 pack a day when she was pregnant with me. I was born in 1971. Was it right probably not. I was only 5 pounds 14 OZ and maybe her smoking caused that

Old 11-29-2021, 12:31 PM

17,568 posts, read 13,344,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
My mother had three children in the 1950s. She smoked and drank two cocktails every day throughout each pregnancy, as she did her entire adult life. All 3 of us turned out okay.

Today, drinking while pregnant is frowned on, but also are busybodies getting into other people’s business.

Same with our parents in the mid 40s and us in the 70s. Everyone OK

And, no buttinskies! Too many Karens out there today

Old 11-29-2021, 12:40 PM

A Karen is someone who calls the police when someone's having a party at 8pm.

I didn't think someone would be a Karen for having concern about someone drinking alcohol while carrying a growing baby in their body. And again I said nothing to her...but how am i a Karen for asking about it here?

Is it also no big deal for high schoolers to drink alcohol? We could sit here and say oh that's no big deal and who came up with this drinking age of 21 and yes high schoolers should be able to drink alcohol if they want as long as they're responsible.

I guess everyone has different morals on what's ok. I was more or less asking is it ok to drink alcohol while pregnant. Apparently some people think it is and it's an eh, it's probably fine type thing.

Old 11-29-2021, 01:12 PM

810 posts, read 870,883 times
Quote:
I also didn’t say anything to her. I’m merely asking about it here. And based on the responses here I am overreacting to what I saw.
I don't think you're overreacting. I had the same thought when I read your post. A developing baby shouldn't be sitting in amniotic fluid laced with alcohol. The woman's drinking is out of control if she puts it ahead of her baby. It's not like the baby can move to another room to get away from it; it's captive and forced to ingest alcohol. It's only nine months and she should lay off it.

Old 11-29-2021, 01:12 PM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
I know people who didn't drink caffeine or alcohol through pregnancy and throughout their time breastfeeding.

No one is saying a few drinks will cause damage but why do it? If you can't give up drinking for 9 months for your own flesh and blood who you could put at risk then that is just sad. If you can drink while pregnant what else will you allow to happen?
OMG. Because ONE DRINK will certainly not cause a problem or hurt the baby, that is why. Any OB will confirm that.
Obviously if the person is an alcoholic, THEN you could be concerned. No one is advocating having several drinks, or regular drinking. The fact that one is actually aware, and exercising good sense and curtailing or severely limiting their intake is all the evidence that you need to understand that the possibility of someone "allowing things to happen" is actually none of your business. Not at all.

Old 11-29-2021, 01:31 PM

Glad the majority think this is no big deal and funny.

Happy to see there are a few people who think what i did.

Old 11-29-2021, 02:45 PM

7,090 posts, read 4,526,537 times
Ramen addict, no it’s not okay to be drinking while pregnant. People that don’t quit for pregnancies are alcoholics. Fetal alcohol syndrome is a awful disability that is totally preventable and ruins lives. No one that isn’t addicted would take the chance of that happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness