Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2021, 11:24 AM

16,394 posts, read 8,187,139 times

Advertisements

This is still not ok right? Over the past few weeks I’ve had a few hockey events with my son. Two weeks ago we attended an nhl game and I noticed another mother who is pregnant (due in March) drinking what appeared to be a beer. I wasn’t sure and I didn’t ask. She was kind of acting tipsy. This weekend we’re at a tournament and we were hanging out at the pool last night while the kids swam. I looked over at the same mom and she was drinking a high noon which is a vodka seltzer drink. I was like wow. I have heard that it’s ok to drink in the 3rd trimester and that some people in Europe drink all throughout the pregnancy. But is just seems so uncertain and studies have proven it can cause harm. Why not just give it up for the 9 months ? This will be this mother’s 5th child and she is a nurse.

What got me to was that it wasn’t like she was just with her husband she was with a group of parents both times who don’t know know her all that well so she didn’t give a care what anyone else thought I guess.

Anyone else drink during their pregnancy? I kind of feel like there’s room to be judgey on situations like this. It’s not my business and I’m not getting involved but wonder what people are thinking. I guess she needs to drink that badly.

Old 11-28-2021, 02:39 PM

17,573 posts, read 13,350,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Anyone else drink during their pregnancy? I kind of feel like there’s room to be judgey on situations like this. It’s not my business and I’m not getting involved but wonder what people are thinking. I guess she needs to drink that badly.

Just keep it that way. Her body-her choice

Old 11-28-2021, 03:05 PM

8,757 posts, read 5,053,126 times
I agree with Mike. It may not be right......but no ones business, but her own.

Old 11-28-2021, 03:15 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
This is still not ok right? Over the past few weeks I’ve had a few hockey events with my son. Two weeks ago we attended an nhl game and I noticed another mother who is pregnant (due in March) drinking what appeared to be a beer. I wasn’t sure and I didn’t ask. She was kind of acting tipsy. This weekend we’re at a tournament and we were hanging out at the pool last night while the kids swam. I looked over at the same mom and she was drinking a high noon which is a vodka seltzer drink. I was like wow. I have heard that it’s ok to drink in the 3rd trimester and that some people in Europe drink all throughout the pregnancy. But is just seems so uncertain and studies have proven it can cause harm. Why not just give it up for the 9 months ? This will be this mother’s 5th child and she is a nurse.

What got me to was that it wasn’t like she was just with her husband she was with a group of parents both times who don’t know know her all that well so she didn’t give a care what anyone else thought I guess.

You've observed this woman in a few social situations. You have no idea how much alcohol she drinks or whether she drinks at all the rest of the time. You say its not your business but you still keep tabs on the type of alcohol she happens to have in her hand? Then you jump to the conclusion she gets tipsy and needs to drink despite being a nurse and having 5 kids? Someone needs to find a better way to pass the time than speculating about/judging other people.

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-28-2021 at 03:28 PM..

Old 11-28-2021, 03:21 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,598,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
You've observed this woman in a few social situations. You have no idea how much alcohol she drinks or whether she drinks at all the rest of the time. You say its not your business but you still keep tabs on the type of alcohol she happens to have in her hand? Then you jump to the conclusion she needs to drink? Someone needs to find a different hobby.
The OP also doesn’t know for sure what the woman was drinking. For all the OP know it could have been apple cider and a virgin drink. My advice MYOB-mind your own business.

Old 11-28-2021, 04:14 PM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Not drinking during pregnancy is a fairly recent development. My niece is 43. When my sister was pregnant for her, her doc told her not to drink more than 3 alcoholic drinks per day. She didn't drink that much to begin with, so she laughed about it.

The no-drinking-during-pregnancy bit came along in the 1980s around the same time as MADD and the strict drunk-driving laws. It was not just a matter of being judgey. Studies had shown that alcohol could adversely affect fetal development, and Fetal Alcohol Syndrome became named as a condition. A "safe" amount of alcohol during pregnancy could not be determined, so doctors advised that it would be best to abstain altogether.

For the most part, moderate drinking during pregnancy would probably be OK. After all, jillions of pregnant women for centuries before the 1980s drank some wine or beer or cocktails during pregnancy and the majority of resulting children were not affected. The chances are far greater that the kid would be OK than there would be a problem. However, the thinking remains that when a woman is pregnant, it is best to make the healthiest choices to ensure the healthiest babies.

I drank quite a bit in the first month of my pregnancy because it was the Christmas season, there were a lot of work-related parties, and I had no idea I was pregnant. I'd been not using contraceptives for more than a year and had begun to think I just couldn't conceive. I quit when I found out I was pregnant in early January, but by July, I started having an occasional beer. Just before my due date, I attended a friend's wedding shower. Her Cuban-born mother urged me to have a couple of beers (I didn't because I was refraining in case I went into labor at that point) because it would be good for my milk.

Old 11-28-2021, 06:46 PM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:

Personally I think one drink, for a special event perhaps, is fine. I don't see any reason to be "judgey" either. I did have one that I can remember for sure. It was a celebration, everyone knew I was pregnant; it was not an issue. I really don't see it as a problem.

Old 11-28-2021, 09:20 PM

16,394 posts, read 8,187,139 times
Interesting. I also said I saw her drinking out of a high noon can so yeah I’d say that’s a good sign she was drinking alcohol.

I’ve always heard that drinking alcohol during pregnancy is a big no no. I’m surprised by the responses on this here. It’s been scientifically proven that alcohol use during pregnancy can cause damage to the baby. It seems like people get more upset these days about giving a kid screen vs drinking alcohol while pregnant.

I didn’t drink for either of my pregnancies at all and that’s how my friends and family members were as well. Seems like the least a mother can do to give her kid the best start possible. There’s plenty of other things that will be out of our control.

Old 11-28-2021, 09:56 PM

7,103 posts, read 4,531,425 times
I had my first son in 1973 and everyone knew back then not to drink while pregnant. However, it’s not your business.

Old 11-28-2021, 10:30 PM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Interesting. I also said I saw her drinking out of a high noon can so yeah I’d say that’s a good sign she was drinking alcohol.

I’ve always heard that drinking alcohol during pregnancy is a big no no. I’m surprised by the responses on this here. It’s been scientifically proven that alcohol use during pregnancy can cause damage to the baby. It seems like people get more upset these days about giving a kid screen vs drinking alcohol while pregnant.

I didn’t drink for either of my pregnancies at all and that’s how my friends and family members were as well. Seems like the least a mother can do to give her kid the best start possible. There’s plenty of other things that will be out of our control.
It does sound as if the woman you describe was definitely drinking alcohol regularly.

What most people are saying is that it IS best not to drink at all, but someone who had an occasional single drink during pregnancy is not going to damage the fetus. I was far more concerned when I found out I was pregnant about the fact that I was painting the dining room and deeply breathing in the wonderful smell of paint just before I found out I was pregnant.

We all know people who used cocaine or other drugs during pregnancy with no ill effects and squeaky clean people who had children with birth defects. It's a matter of risk and statistics and it's obviously smarter to lower the risks however possible, but there are no guarantees either way.

Now my S.O.'s adult sons both have issues from their mother drinking during pregnancy, but that was straight vodka to the point of intoxication on a regular basis, also known as alcoholism.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 11-28-2021 at 10:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness