U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 01:35 PM

3,490 posts, read 7,844,262 times

Advertisements

Obviously full sugar soda is terrible because of the sugar content, but what is so bad about diet soda?

0 calories, 0 fat. I guess it has to be the sodium? But are the sodium levels really that bad? It says 1% of daily allowance. Is that really so bad?

How about replacing diet soda with those little packets of Crystal lite flavor you can pour into water? Are those better?

We've been trying to drink less diet soda, but it's tough to stay motivated when I don't really understand what is so wrong with it.

If anyone knows I would be very interested to hear why we should stop drinking diet soda.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 01:46 PM

7,573 posts, read 10,175,210 times
here is an article that helps explain it more...

Diet Coke is a Joke - Healthy Diet Plan

Old 05-18-2008, 07:04 PM

22,516 posts, read 32,432,356 times
My dentist said the carbonation even in diet is bad for your teeth, if you drink a lot.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:13 PM

8,189 posts, read 29,920,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannie216 View Post
here is an article that helps explain it more...

Diet Coke is a Joke - Healthy Diet Plan
Good article. I was expecting someone to post one of those things about how scary aspartame is.

Old 05-18-2008, 08:45 PM

12,975 posts, read 32,038,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
We've been trying to drink less diet soda, but it's tough to stay motivated when I don't really understand what is so wrong with it.
Just dont buy diet soda (or any soda) when you go to the market. It also helps to not buy any food at a fast food restaurant that has soda as part of the "meal deal".

Old 05-18-2008, 09:04 PM

6,764 posts, read 11,077,257 times
The way I look at it, diet soda has only one good thing about it, and that is it contains water. But even the water is carbonated, so it no longer is really a good thing, although maybe not terrible.

If you want to feel good, look good, etc, you need to put things in your body that it needs. Soda is full of artificial ingredients that the body must work to process. Anytime you give your body unnecessary things to process, you keep it from functioning at an optimal level. Diet soda gives you artificial colorings, flavorings, and sweeteners to deal with. None of them have ANY nutritional or health benefits whatsoever, they are merely a nuisance for your body to rid itself of.

I quit drinking diet soda, and have to say I feel much better. Not only that, but the rare occasion that I decide to take a swig, I usually feel like coughing it up because it tastes so acidic that its gross. Now that my diet soda addiction is gone, its so easy to ignore, and now I crave water the way I used to crave sodas. And I don't have to wonder if water is bad for me.

Old 05-18-2008, 09:20 PM

3,852 posts, read 12,293,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
Good article. I was expecting someone to post one of those things about how scary aspartame is.
yea that is true. If you do the research you will find a lot of evidence that aspartame is a toxin and not just any type of toxin. It is a neurotoxin, which means it affects the nervous system such as the brain. There are several studies which try to say that there is a DIRECT link from aspartame consumption and the increasing rate of people getting diagnosed with brain related illnesses. However, I believe the link is related to a net overall increase in the toxicities of our food and the surrounding enviornment. I highly recommend you doing your own research and drawing your own conclusions. For me, since I have discovered what aspartame was I have entirely gotten rid of aspartame from my diet. I check all food labels and if aspartame is one of the ingredients I don't buy it. Then again I have greatly changed my diet after discovering all the research on the internet. I hardly ever eat fast food and instead rely on non-processed fruits, vegetables, and grains. I also hardly ever eat meat for the same reasons (not good for you). The good thing is that all these non-processed foods are very cheap so I am saving a bundle!

Sweet Misery - A Poisoned World.avi

Old 05-18-2008, 09:22 PM

3,776 posts, read 6,543,711 times
Tastes like sh*t... lol

Old 05-18-2008, 10:10 PM

756 posts, read 2,468,232 times
I was at work one day and had a Doctor tell a collegue of mine this:

diet soda has a high level of phosorphus in it which is not good for our muscles...
makes you feel tired and such. I believe she drank a 6-pack+ a day.

she backed off and did tell of feeling 'better'. she noticed a difference.

Nay RN

Old 05-19-2008, 12:12 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,542,517 times
I rarely drink diet soda, I really just drink water and a little swig of OJ in the morning. With diabetes I don't have alot of choices. So the water is fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness