Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2021, 08:00 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,871,384 times

Advertisements

Local stores out of stock, appointments are several days booked up.

Turns out - they're expensive, too. I had no idea. I've never been tested. Tried today.
My guess is - many thousands of people just go to work sick each day, get on planes each day, mix with crowds each day - because getting a test is quite difficult, and lots of folks can't afford it. Not more than once, anyway, and certainly not with large families.

Don't say "instant at home test." Totally sold out here.

So if ya have a covid symptom - but you cannot get a test - what are you doing?

Obviously, people still get colds, allergies and so on - if I skipped work two weeks every time I had the sniffles, I'd be fired by now, and so would anybody else.

What the heck are people doing?

Seriously - the testing situation actually causes folks to pretend they do not have symptoms.

It's making it worse - not better. I had no idea it was like this. Why is this not something some media folks are snarling about? It's got to be a huge factor in the scheme of things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2021, 04:06 AM

23,859 posts, read 33,518,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
Local stores out of stock, appointments are several days booked up.

Turns out - they're expensive, too. I had no idea. I've never been tested. Tried today.
My guess is - many thousands of people just go to work sick each day, get on planes each day, mix with crowds each day - because getting a test is quite difficult, and lots of folks can't afford it. Not more than once, anyway, and certainly not with large families.

Don't say "instant at home test." Totally sold out here.

So if ya have a covid symptom - but you cannot get a test - what are you doing?

Obviously, people still get colds, allergies and so on - if I skipped work two weeks every time I had the sniffles, I'd be fired by now, and so would anybody else.

What the heck are people doing?

Seriously - the testing situation actually causes folks to pretend they do not have symptoms.

It's making it worse - not better. I had no idea it was like this. Why is this not something some media folks are snarling about? It's got to be a huge factor in the scheme of things.

Where are you looking to test, at pharmacies like CVS?

See if your GP tests for COVID. My daughter usually goes to urgent care when she and my grandson need to test because it's been the same times as everyone else going to our pharmacies to test. She's had pretty good luck with urgent care.

Have you tried seeing if you can pick up a few testing kits online to keep around?

Old 12-06-2021, 07:40 AM

I will definitely get some to keep at home - but in the (very) short term, it's problematic.

Our urgent care does do testing (we have several locally). ALL OF THEM are booked up for the next several days (more on that in a sec...)

YES - our GP will do it. Tomorrow. But not today.

I asked WHY these schedules are full. The answer was surprising. It was not because lots of people are sick (though they may be). One place was on a first name basis with the tested folks...since they come twice a week.

That's right. As per their occupation, since they will not get vaccinated, that have to get tested - twice a week. And so - those folks have filled up every appointment weeks and months out, for miles around.

I'll bet no one considered that "unintended consequence."

In an effort to meet local policies...they have actually increased the spread by preventing symptomatic people from getting a test. I consider myself "well educated" in the facts of COVID - but this is an area I had not yet explored. I'm absolutely baffled.

Old 12-06-2021, 07:54 AM

9,846 posts, read 7,709,490 times
Doesn't your state health department offer testing? We have free test sites here in SC open every day. I get tested regularly.

Old 12-06-2021, 09:30 AM

Doesn't your state health department offer testing?

Not sure about "state" - our county definitely does.

M-F only, make an appt., "we have an opening three days from now."

Our urgent cares do it too...but not during weekends, and not after 4pm.

Now - don't get me wrong - I didn't check every single flipping place everywhere. My overall point remains - I am fairly normal (i.e., not too stupid) person - I have a phone, a car, PTO, and cash - and I was unable, in several hours, to find a place to get tested. It means - that folks lazier than me (if there are any) - will not do even THAT much effort. Nope. They'll call the first place - hear what I heard - and that's that - they're going to work, getting a test is a PITA.

It should not be a "hurdle" to get a test. It should be as easy as ordering a pizza. Any harder than that, and you can be sure some sick people somewhere are skipping it. I had no idea this was "The Way It Is."

Old 12-06-2021, 12:20 PM

Ok - this small update. You can get them for free at our county libraries. I just called there.

We have 17 libraries. All 17 are out of test kits, with no new date.

Stopped on a whim...they were out yesterday...but...Local major chain store had some!!! Was ready to grab two - one for me, and one for my spouse - and was told: "One per customer."

A roadblock. Crazy times. Now my (potentially) contagious other-half will ALSO go to the drugstore...seems silly.

There is no political side to this. It's supply chain, supply and demand, cost and profit, and all the rest...it's a giant system with a ton of moving parts...but the net result is sad, and the conclusion, inarguable.

Without sufficient testing, you cannot hope to stop the spread until everyone that's gonna get it...gets it.

Old 12-06-2021, 05:18 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,987,564 times
Why do you need a test? Are you ill? This virus is NEVER, EVER going away. We CANNOT "stop the spread"...it's like the common cold....it will be here forever. Get used to it....it's getting less and less virulent. Live with it.

Old 12-06-2021, 05:47 PM

8,494 posts, read 3,334,242 times
Walmart.com has the Binax tests available right now. They go in and out of stock. I found some online at Walgreens when I couldn't get them thru Walmart before T'giving.

https://www.walmart.com/browse/healt...542089_3092061

Part of living with covid will be getting used to not going out and about spreading it willy nilly. Not when hospitals are stressed. Not when it can make many seriously ill.

Have symptoms. Pull out a test. If negative then go on about your business. If positive then STAY HOME.

Caveat - Repeating the home tests a few hours later may highly advisable. I believe that's why they are sold in packs of two.

Old 12-06-2021, 06:06 PM

8,494 posts, read 3,334,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
I will definitely get some to keep at home - but in the (very) short term, it's problematic.

Our urgent care does do testing (we have several locally). ALL OF THEM are booked up for the next several days (more on that in a sec...)

YES - our GP will do it. Tomorrow. But not today.

I asked WHY these schedules are full. The answer was surprising. It was not because lots of people are sick (though they may be). One place was on a first name basis with the tested folks...since they come twice a week.

That's right. As per their occupation, since they will not get vaccinated, that have to get tested - twice a week. And so - those folks have filled up every appointment weeks and months out, for miles around.

I'll bet no one considered that "unintended consequence."

In an effort to meet local policies...they have actually increased the spread by preventing symptomatic people from getting a test. I consider myself "well educated" in the facts of COVID - but this is an area I had not yet explored. I'm absolutely baffled.
Interesting. DD is in a high-risk occupation. She's vaccinated but everyone at her facility - vaccinated or not - is required to test weekly. The county sends out a nurse. Testing can also be hard to come by around here right now. Away for Thanksgiving she missed the weekly on-site testing. Instead had to make an appointment on her own. The first available was FIVE DAYS out. A home rapid antigen test wasn't acceptable. Fortunately she planned ahead and had an appointment locked in. Not allowed to return to work until she had the results.

Old 12-06-2021, 07:31 PM

35,051 posts, read 31,251,460 times
I live in a small town in Tennessee. It's not exactly a capital of medical expertise.

A couple CVSs I went to had plenty. The nearby Target and Walmart have plenty. I ended up sick a few weeks ago, and just to be safe, bought an at-home testing kit. 2 for $25.

The big issue is cost, not availability, at least here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness