Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2021, 03:25 PM

61,428 posts, read 86,506,480 times

Advertisements

Research has found that the coronavirus infects fat cells and immune cells within body fat, causing an immune response that scientists say may contribute to severe disease.Credit...
The research may help explain why people who are overweight and obese have been at higher risk of severe illness and death from Covid.
The research has not yet been peer-reviewed or published in a scientific journal, but it was posted online in October. If the findings hold up, they may shed light not just on why patients with excess pounds are vulnerable to the virus, but also on why certain younger adults with no other risks become so ill.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/08/h...t-obesity.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2021, 08:37 AM

185 posts, read 312,444 times
If it finally turns out to be true, we have already one more reason to include it in our goal or wish list for the new year. "This year, yes. In 2022 I'll drop some pounds"

Old 12-12-2021, 08:54 AM

9,349 posts, read 8,268,322 times
I think this is one of those things we sort of already knew about COVID as it has seemed to affect overweight folks much more since the get-go. I remember when this first started and feeling mildly panicked about it, then saw a news story where an ER doctor was asked if there was any commonality amongst the people who were hit hardest and on ventilators, she stated very clearly it was obese/overweight individuals almost entirely with few exceptions such as elderly. Calmed me down quite a bit as I'm not overweight, but also kept me vigilant about keeping the weight off.

I'm thankful there is now a study to prove this, however, as our leaders seem unable/unwilling to talk about how being overweight puts folks at a much greater risk. Now they have something to point to rather than anecdotal evidence.

Old 12-12-2021, 11:52 AM

1,250 posts, read 671,908 times
This is hilarious for a couple of reasons:

1) Duh

2) Why isn't the government pushing health, as much as they are pushing the jab? No recommendations to lose weight, eat healthy, exercise, take supplements (especially B12 and D), etc.

Old 12-12-2021, 01:50 PM

761 posts, read 441,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingandwondering View Post

1) Duh

2) Why isn't the government pushing health, as much as they are pushing the jab? No recommendations to lose weight, eat healthy, exercise, take supplements (especially B12 and D), etc.
The answer: The food industry donates money left and right to government.

Old 12-12-2021, 02:28 PM

17,189 posts, read 16,333,812 times
Quote:

1) Duh

The government's actions have been to the detriment of society. By closing schools, work places, rec centers, gyms, salons, putting people on stay at home orders, pushing restaurants to serve drive thru/curbside, shutting down sporting events, concerts, dance venues.....

No wonder people have put on Covid weight. And now the government is going to start berating Americans for being "too fat" and blaming them for getting sick.

It is time to stop listening to idiot politicians like Joe Biden and Fauci. People need to be free to go to work, school, participate in fun activities without foolish government interventions that are making people more prone to gain weight and get sick.

Old 12-12-2021, 02:31 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,041,229 times
Quote:

1) Duh

You can recommend healthy actions, but you cannot get people to do them. I’ve been observing people for a long time. Even type 2 diabetics who know the dangers of complications down the road, often do not change their eating habits. I know first hand how hard it is as I grow ever older, to get a decent amount of exercise.

People have trouble with change.

Old 12-12-2021, 02:42 PM

1,250 posts, read 671,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
You can recommend healthy actions, but you cannot get people to do them. I’ve been observing people for a long time. Even type 2 diabetics who know the dangers of complications down the road, often do not change their eating habits. I know first hand how hard it is as I grow ever older, to get a decent amount of exercise.

People have trouble with change.
I'm just talking about the narrative the government is pushing: It's totally one-sided.

If they chose a "health" narrative, some would adopt it. Some wouldn't, but at least it would be more honest.

Old 12-12-2021, 04:12 PM

17,189 posts, read 16,333,812 times
Quote:
I'm just talking about the narrative the government is pushing: It's totally one-sided.

If they chose a "health" narrative, some would adopt it. Some wouldn't, but at least it would be more honest.
It the government had it's way we would all be masked on stay at home orders and they would do a periodic BEEEP alarm through our cell phones telling us to GET UP NOW and RUN on our hamster wheels. They would monitor our progress via our cellphone GPS data and anyone caught not doing "their part" would be fined.

Because that's the kind of crazies we have running the show now. Unfortunately.

Old 12-12-2021, 06:35 PM

10,489 posts, read 7,621,430 times
Funny that people blame the leaders they wouldn't listen to, regardless of what they said, for not emphasizing this issue enough.

There are several risk factors. For a younger adult, the number 1 may be obesity because they're unlikely to have developed any others so far.

Of course, we had heard early on in the Pandemic that 80% of hospitalized were overweight. Not a bad reason to trim down, right?

Fortunately not an issue for me. There's very little flesh of any kind on my skeleton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness