Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2021, 09:02 AM

7,259 posts, read 5,131,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post

Stuff a towel below your armpits on the top of the crutches (or maybe they sell something nowadays). Your armpits are going to get sore.

That's a common misconception about using crutches... The pads don't go in your armpits. They are to be braced against the ribs at a comfortable (?) spot 4-6 inches below the pits....Bearing your weight on the pads in the armpit can injure the nerves that cross thru there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2021, 01:39 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
That's a common misconception about using crutches... The pads don't go in your armpits. They are to be braced against the ribs at a comfortable (?) spot 4-6 inches below the pits....Bearing your weight on the pads in the armpit can injure the nerves that cross thru there.
TA. You can spot a poorly-informed user with improperly sized crutches immediately because their crutches reach as high as their armpits. They'll be miserable in short order.

Last edited by Parnassia; 12-25-2021 at 01:50 PM..

Old 12-26-2021, 04:19 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriella Geramia View Post
I'm having hip surgery next month and anticipate being on crutches for the next 3 months. I'm trying to plan ahead and wondering if anybody who has been on crutches before have any tips?

I'm not living with anybody who can help me but I could ask my mom to come over every other week and help me do laundry. I thought about hiring someone but I wasn't sure if there would be enough hours to make it worthwhile for anyone.

I'm wondering more about what I would do about food. I might have to use a local meal delivery service or get a bunch of frozen prepared foods delivered from the grocery store.

My doctor recommended a high toilet seat and someone from my PT gave me tips about using a plastic chair in the shower. I'll also be looking to order a lap table in case I need to stay in bed.

Is there anything else I should be aware of?

Did the doctor say you'll be on crutches? I thought that these days they want you up and walking with a walker before you leave the hospital. I had my back fused twice, even 20 years ago they had me walking using the walker before discharge.

You will be given the crutches or walker on discharge. If there's anything else you think you'll want like the shower seat, have your doctor write a script for it so insurance covers it.

For food, I cooked a few days before surgery so that I had prepared meals to eat. You can freeze them in small containers. I also went food shopping before surgery to make sure I had things I wanted to eat and drink. You can also pick up some TV dinners to have on hand just in case then treat yourself every now and then. Ordering out every day can get expensive.

Hopefully you won't be down 3 months. I believe it took me about a week before I could go back to cooking a meal from scratch. I still have back issues, I don't stand to prepare and cook all in one shot. I'll get ingredients and the pot I'm using out then go rest. The next time I stand I will start prepping the food I'm going to cook such as slicing the onion, melting butter, cracking open the eggs, then sit again. That's how I do the "house chores" like cleaning and doing laundry. If you do some of it at a time, it will eventually get done instead of not doing it, then it turns into a bigger job once you are back on your feet.

What kind of house do you live in? Is it one floor? With laundry, I was back to doing it the first week, my house was one floor. If you're going to be using a walker, find some type of bag that will attach to it so you can carry things like laundry. You should be able to pick up some "S" hooks that will fit on the walker that you can hang a plastic shopping bag or whatever you have like a back pack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
Spouse used a walker after knee replacement. PT told him he could take it right into the shower to stabilize himself while he washed. That made him happy.

I had a foot surgery that was non-weight bearing & used crutches, which was a disaster because the dog was terrified of the crutches & kept knocking me off them. I took a lot of falls. When I had the same surgery on the other foot, I said no crutches & had a boot instead...much safer.

Regarding food, both spouse & myself were alone in house when the other was at work. He is no cook, so for him I planned ahead & made meals like chili, etc. in crockpot & froze. For myself I also had a lot of freezer-to-microwave frozen meals, the brand was Steamers, they had more veg. I also kept a small ice chest where I sat with yogurt, fruit, bottled water, Gatorade. Hydration after surgery is important. Spouse acted disoriented one day b/c he became dehydrated from only drinking diet coke.

You can ask your Dr. what you might need but we pretty much had to figure it out ourselves. There may be a charitable organization that you can borrow durable medical equipment from. Spouse had yet another surgery on both feet & was non-weight bearing for over 3 months. We borrowed a wheelchair, walker, cane, shower stool, bedside commode, all for free...of course I scrubbed/sanitized everything.

Best wishes for a successful surgery!

Borrowing is a great idea if the hospital doesn't provide a walker or crutches. I hope the OP can find a place that still lends medical equipment out. Some places stopped lending because of lawsuits. I've always donated whatever I was done with to the local rescue squad, they stopped taking it.

The cooler is a great idea, I did the same after my back fusion.

I also picked up those tray tables that fold to use in the living room.

Old 12-27-2021, 10:04 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,459,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
TA. You can spot a poorly-informed user with improperly sized crutches immediately because their crutches reach as high as their armpits. They'll be miserable in short order.
U guys are going to "diss" me for using crutches wrong? That is why I preferred the walker. I was a poorly trained, uninformed crutch user. My arm pits would get sore for sure. Since I used my crutches wrong, it is a good thing I stuffed them with cloth under the armpits.

I think a walker or chair is a better option than crutches for navigating around the house even if you are an expert with crutches.

Old 12-28-2021, 03:13 PM

4,039 posts, read 3,773,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Did the doctor say you'll be on crutches? I thought that these days they want you up and walking with a walker before you leave the hospital. I had my back fused twice, even 20 years ago they had me walking using the walker before discharge.

You will be given the crutches or walker on discharge. If there's anything else you think you'll want like the shower seat, have your doctor write a script for it so insurance covers it.

For food, I cooked a few days before surgery so that I had prepared meals to eat. You can freeze them in small containers. I also went food shopping before surgery to make sure I had things I wanted to eat and drink. You can also pick up some TV dinners to have on hand just in case then treat yourself every now and then. Ordering out every day can get expensive.

Hopefully you won't be down 3 months. I believe it took me about a week before I could go back to cooking a meal from scratch. I still have back issues, I don't stand to prepare and cook all in one shot. I'll get ingredients and the pot I'm using out then go rest. The next time I stand I will start prepping the food I'm going to cook such as slicing the onion, melting butter, cracking open the eggs, then sit again. That's how I do the "house chores" like cleaning and doing laundry. If you do some of it at a time, it will eventually get done instead of not doing it, then it turns into a bigger job once you are back on your feet.

What kind of house do you live in? Is it one floor? With laundry, I was back to doing it the first week, my house was one floor. If you're going to be using a walker, find some type of bag that will attach to it so you can carry things like laundry. You should be able to pick up some "S" hooks that will fit on the walker that you can hang a plastic shopping bag or whatever you have like a back pack.

Borrowing is a great idea if the hospital doesn't provide a walker or crutches. I hope the OP can find a place that still lends medical equipment out. Some places stopped lending because of lawsuits. I've always donated whatever I was done with to the local rescue squad, they stopped taking it.

The cooler is a great idea, I did the same after my back fusion.

I also picked up those tray tables that fold to use in the living room.
The doctor did mention crutches but said a walker would be okay too. She said I'm young so that's why she mentioned crutches but she said I can try crutches and a walker out at the hospital to see which works better for me.

My washer/dryer is in the basement so I will have to ask my mom to help me do laundry. I usually go two weeks before doing laundry so hopefully, it won't be too much.

I did get a roller bedside desk so I can work from my bed if I need to. Also got a grabber, high toilet seat (tested it out too and it works), nightlight, anti-slip bath mat, and shower stool and slip-on sneakers. I still need to stock up on Gatorade and protein bars but we're snowed in at the moment. I also realized I would need a bottle for water since I won't be able to bring back a glass of water to my room. I have some stools at home and they're tall enough for me to sit and do the dishes. Not sure about cooking.

Last edited by Gabriella Geramia; 12-28-2021 at 03:33 PM..

Old 12-28-2021, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
I hope you're in a single story house, OP.

What are you going to do about transportation to store/doc visits/rehab? Gotta folding wheel chair?

Talk to your doc about these things, before you go under the knife.

Lastly...DO YOUR PT!!!!!!

YES, WE KNOW IT HURTS. Do it anyway.
My bf can take me to the store/doc visits. I also have family and my friend who would take me if needed.

Someone mentioned an imbalance with crutches. That's a good point. I would solely be using my left leg, which is already stronger now than my right leg. I may look into getting a small wheelchair like some of you have mentioned. I have an HSA card that I think I can use for these things or my insurance could probably reimburse me. I have been going to PT to strengthen my core but haven't done too much for my upper body. I shoveled a lot of snow these past few days and my arms are sore so I hope that counts I'll start doing push-ups these next few days. My upper body tends to get stiff and I've been using a lacrosse ball to loosen it up everyday. I won't be able to use that after my surgery but I have a neck massager and massage gun so I hope that can help.

I really appreciate all the advice from everybody btw!

Last edited by Gabriella Geramia; 12-28-2021 at 03:34 PM..

Old 12-28-2021, 03:54 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriella Geramia View Post
The doctor did mention crutches but said a walker would be okay too. She said I'm young so that's why she mentioned crutches but she said I can try crutches and a walker out at the hospital to see which works better for me.

My washer/dryer is in the basement so I will have to ask my mom to help me do laundry. I usually go two weeks before doing laundry so hopefully, it won't be too much.

I did get a roller bedside desk so I can work from my bed if I need to. Also got a grabber, high toilet seat (tested it out too and it works), nightlight, anti-slip bath mat, and shower stool and slip-on sneakers. I still need to stock up on Gatorade and protein bars but we're snowed in at the moment. I also realized I would need a bottle for water since I won't be able to bring back a glass of water to my room. I have some stools at home and they're tall enough for me to sit and do the dishes. Not sure about cooking.
A tip about the water bottle...get a sports type with a cap that either has a tether, an incorporated hang loop or a belt clip...you won't need to hang on to the bottle itself while crutching around.

Old 12-28-2021, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
A tip about the water bottle...get a sports type with a cap that either has a tether, an incorporated hang loop or a belt clip...you won't need to hang on to the bottle itself while crutching around.
Thanks! Yeah, I have a shaker bottle with a loop that I can hang onto or clip to something if needed.

Old 12-29-2021, 04:44 PM

3,437 posts, read 2,407,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
When you're standing still, and have only one leg and a pair of crutches available to hold your weight, and you have to dig into your purse, or check your cell phone, or stand in line for any length of time, you WILL eventually relax your posture and use the top part of the crutch to support you. That's why they're padded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness