Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2021, 08:32 PM

61,704 posts, read 87,101,195 times

Advertisements

VUITY™ (pilocarpine HCI ophthalmic solution) 1.25%, the first and only FDA-Approved eye drop to treat age-related blurry near vision (Presbyopia), is now available.
VUITY uses the eye's own ability to reduce pupil size, improving near and intermediate vision while maintaining distance vision.
It cost $80 a month and is not covered by insurance.

However, I am concerned about side effects:
eye pain.
headache.
itching.
signs of eye infection - swelling, redness, severe discomfort, crusting or drainage.
visual impairment (dim, dark, or “jumping” vision)
hives.
swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
excessive sweating.
muscle tremors.
wheezing.
trouble breathing.
nausea.
vomiting.
diarrhea.

And a warning:
Seek immediate medical care if you experience any sudden vision loss.

https://www.cnet.com/health/medical/...blurry-vision/

Well, I think, I would rather stick with eye glasses or contacts...

What about you??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2021, 09:52 PM

2,222 posts, read 1,326,475 times
If the side-effects include "sudden loss of vision", then I won't bother paying 80 bucks a month and risk going blind. LOL
Read about Vuity last week. Didn't feel comfortable trying it.

Old 12-13-2021, 10:16 PM

7,103 posts, read 4,531,425 times
I prefer my reading glasses.

Old 12-14-2021, 04:42 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
VUITY™ (pilocarpine HCI ophthalmic solution) 1.25%, the first and only FDA-Approved eye drop to treat age-related blurry near vision (Presbyopia), is now available.
VUITY uses the eye's own ability to reduce pupil size, improving near and intermediate vision while maintaining distance vision.
It cost $80 a month and is not covered by insurance.

However, I am concerned about side effects:
eye pain.
headache.
itching.
signs of eye infection - swelling, redness, severe discomfort, crusting or drainage.
visual impairment (dim, dark, or “jumping” vision)
hives.
swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
excessive sweating.
muscle tremors.
wheezing.
trouble breathing.
nausea.
vomiting.
diarrhea.

And a warning:
Seek immediate medical care if you experience any sudden vision loss.

https://www.cnet.com/health/medical/...blurry-vision/

Well, I think, I would rather stick with eye glasses or contacts...

What about you??
Sounds intriguing, but with those warnings, think I will stick with the glasses.

Old 12-14-2021, 10:46 AM

9,394 posts, read 8,360,377 times
I realize they probably list all *possible* side effects in their warning label. But with only two eyes and one of them already nearly blind, I couldn't risk something like this. Have to stick with squinting for now.....reading glasses still a year or so away.

Old 12-14-2021, 10:47 AM

15,143 posts, read 27,781,251 times
I don't need glasses for reading fortunately since I'm a huge reader but if I did, I don't think it would be such a hassle and I wouldn't risk all those side effects (let alone a new "drug" that hasn't stood the test of time).

Old 12-14-2021, 12:19 PM

2,893 posts, read 2,142,714 times
pilocarpine drops have been around a long time for glaucoma b/4 the newer glaucoma drugs came out. an old drug in search of a new use and market? maybe

this seems to be a new concentration and a new indication. nothing earth shattering here.

Old 12-14-2021, 07:35 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,125,760 times
Have had glasses since 5 years old; contacts since 13 years old. No big deal; I've handled contacts well. Now in my late 40s, i need some readers when wearing contacts. (When wearing glasses, I just need to move them down on my nose to be reader "effective"). While the new reader glasses are annoying (I have a thousand pairs now, why can't I ever find one??), especially because I am wearing contacts BECAUSE I don't want to wear glasses, there is NO WAY I would risk most of those side effects, just to not have the readers.

I will continue to spend 30 minutes to find a pair of readers to then find them on the top of my head.

Old 12-15-2021, 01:56 AM

7,709 posts, read 5,454,906 times
Oral pilocarpine was found to be useful in treating severe dry eye unresponsive to conventional conservative treatment in patients with Sjögren syndrome from the standpoint of efficacy and safety, per this abstract on PubMed:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26065354/

Old 12-15-2021, 09:39 AM

9,858 posts, read 7,729,352 times
Not for me. I had chronic hives for 20 years. They finally went away and I try to stay away from anything that could trigger them again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness