Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2021, 11:06 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,147,063 times

Advertisements

Difficult social problem. One man's opinion, keeping in mind I'm something of a mole: no, given the supposed communicability of Omicron variant, I wouldn't knowingly go into a social event indoors with non-vaxxed persons. There's a fine line between living in fear and sensible precautions. That line varies person to person.

I'm getting my booster 12/28. No virtue signaling, a statement more of "covering my ____" at age 54. Two Pfizer doses in May. I've had one head cold this year, first in several years and almost certainly caught from my personal trainer. I found it annoying and a bit amusing end of the day, he's mostly the only one who turns up at my house couple times/week. Otherwise I simply keep clear of crowds where-feasible. It isn't always. If Omicron is as communicable as "some" suggest, we all may end up exposed at some point hell or high water.

There is substantial social cost to uninviting non-vaxxed people. I have 1 or 2 pals like that, with views I consider irrational. I simply elude the problem by mostly keeping to myself past 1.5 year...but once again that's me. Single and wouldn't have it any other way.

FB friend of mine had a father pass away from Delta past few months @ 65. About as awful as one might imagine, following the saga on social media as it went down w/daily updates from his daughter. I'm virtually certain from his prior posts he was a rah-rah anti-vaxxer and I personally found his views unfortunate. Couple co-morbidities too. He probably died due to that attitude. Frankly I want no part of that, it's tragic all around.

Old 12-23-2021, 12:41 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
TBH, I wouldn't be as worried about the party's attendees as the people all those attendees might come in contact with afterwards. That's out of your control and none of your business. Still, given the choice, I would opt not to have close-quarters indoor holiday gatherings again this year. Sort of eliminates the trouble over inviting or DIS inviting anyone because of a vaccination. If I must get together with friends, I'd probably do it one on one in a more outdoor setting.

Old 12-23-2021, 01:35 PM

5,052 posts, read 3,955,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandi9 View Post
I am truly in the belief that everyone should get vaccinated or not get vaccinated if they chose for covid.

I am vaccinated. All my friends are vaccinated.

Except my one best friend and her husband won't get it.

My friend kept using the excuse that she wanted to see how safe it was. I got that. Then wait for it to be FDA cleared. It's much better now. But they still won't get the vaccine.

I invited a small group of friends over for New Years. She's my best friend and I would never leave her out.

I invited her and her husband.

But now I am extremely nervous about them bringing covid. Anyone could bring it, I get that. But my friend works at a community center with teens and adults. And she isn't vaccinated.

My parents work in Healthcare and they are getting calls left and right about patients having Omicron. So it is spreading.

What do I do about my friend and her husband not being vaccinated?

Again, I'd never want to not invite them due to vaccination status. I just wish they'd get it, then our whole group would be vaccinated and I'd feel better.
A know a few folks who tell their friends they are vaccinated but really aren’t. Maybe you should get vaccinated so you don’t have to worry regarding your friends.

Old 12-23-2021, 01:42 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
A know a few folks who tell their friends they are vaccinated but really aren’t. Maybe you should get vaccinated so you don’t have to worry regarding your friends.
Right up front in the post you yourself quoted, the OP states that she IS vaccinated!! For reasons the thread has already discussed, being vaccinated lowers the level of worry but doesn't eliminate it.

Old 12-23-2021, 02:02 PM

2,136 posts, read 1,207,283 times
"Friends who aren't vaccinated from covid " ... are no friends of mine, at least until this virus gets under control. You have to consider their underlying level of intelligence ( aside from medical vax issues like imuno compromised and such)

peeps make judgements all the time about other peeps and about level of friendship is one of those times.

No problem with having friends and acquaintances - even relatives, who you may deem to be not quite up to snuff. The thing is to make informed choices about things ... like lend them your car? let them care for your kids? loan $? What information to trust them with.

If they won't do the obvious easy smart thing to protect themselves, you, and society - for the greater good if nothing else, then you are perfectly within your rights to pass judgement and act appropriately.

I don't care who's feeeeeewwwwwings get hurt. Safety comes first and evolution relentlessly marches on.

Old 12-23-2021, 02:30 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
If anyone has serious concerns about Covid at this point, they should not be attending or hosting gatherings of any kind. I believe Covid is extremely widespread right now. (I also believe the virus has mutated past the point of being serious for most people.) Unless a person hides away in complete isolation, they will likely be exposed anywhere they go.

Anecdotal: husband tested positive, including a repeat test in case of false positive (mandatory workplace testing) in summer 2020, no symptoms. Was double vaxxed in 2021. This week he is mildly sick (cold-like), got tested yesterday, and is positive again. I've never tested positive, never had symptoms, never vaxxed.

Everyone has to decide the level of risk they are comfortable with. Exposure at your New Years Eve party is one of hundreds of exposures your guests will face.
I agree, especially with Omicron spreading like wildfire. For context, my command (military here) went from having weeks with 1-5 close contacts but no positive cases to having 10 positive cases (probably all Omicron but I can't prove it) in the last couple of days.

If you're really concerned about catching Covid, stay home. The vaccines are more meant to protect you than others. Thus, from where I stand, if I did what I can to protect myself by getting the vaccine, etc., I am not going to get bent out of shape concerning those who are not vaccinated. But that's me!

Old 12-23-2021, 02:57 PM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
It's difficult because vaccinated people can carry it also. Your friends are really the ones in danger. If they get it they could get very sick whereas someone who is vaccinated likely wont get as sick.

I guess it makes me wonder why the people who are unvaccinated have no fear of being out and about in a group?

Old 12-23-2021, 02:59 PM

1,250 posts, read 678,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManApplet View Post
"Friends who aren't vaccinated from covid " ... are no friends of mine, at least until this virus gets under control. You have to consider their underlying level of intelligence ( aside from medical vax issues like imuno compromised and such)

peeps make judgements all the time about other peeps and about level of friendship is one of those times.

No problem with having friends and acquaintances - even relatives, who you may deem to be not quite up to snuff. The thing is to make informed choices about things ... like lend them your car? let them care for your kids? loan $? What information to trust them with.

If they won't do the obvious easy smart thing to protect themselves, you, and society - for the greater good if nothing else, then you are perfectly within your rights to pass judgement and act appropriately.

I don't care who's feeeeeewwwwwings get hurt. Safety comes first and evolution relentlessly marches on.
Curious about the "greater good" statement.

The vaccine ONLY affects the person taking it (and apparently, not that well).

What "greater good" are you referring to?

Old 12-23-2021, 03:22 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
as you said yourself, anyone can bring the disease. My DIL is fully vaccinated and has covid, probably Omincron, so is her boyfriend. the disease is prevalent. That said I wouldnt expected your friend to change her belief system about the vaccine just to go to your party and you arent going to change yours. Meet her for lunch somewhere with good ventilation or better take a walk outside and pick up coffee. you arent getting this virus walking outside. Everyone should have masks on indoors. good luck but if she is your best friend I wouldnt sacrifice my friendship on this virus. Friendships are very scarce in this society and getting scarcer.
good answer...the masks are useless against a virus though.

Old 12-23-2021, 03:39 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,385,615 times
Two friends have COVID around Boston. Vaxxed and boosted and mask wearing. Men of 40 and 50. Say it's like a bad cold but now they can't see their families with elders over the holiday.

Worse than a bad cold if not vaxxed/boosted. Otherwise, why would the hospitals be full and overwhelmed? Unvaxxed. Also Delta is still around, that's for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness