Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2021, 06:44 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,243,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Na I think of million reasons go to the ER one is Chest pain most people who have clogged up arteries in their heart don't have classic heart attack they might have mild chest pain. Friend of mine he had mild chest pain for a entire day before he went only because his wife made him go. Turned out he was 99% blocked up said he probably was only a day from a cardiac arrest.

I do agree that colds an flu should go to a urgent care for that but even thing some people wait too long. Right now covid patients wait until they can't breath.
Obviously a heart attack is an emergency. Obviously.

Ive had numerous heart attacks starting at 36. Pretty much falls under the category of emergency…esp when breathing starts to be a problem as I included in my OP.

Then again there are people who are convinced they’re having one weekly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2021, 08:11 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Since we have been in FL it has been like that every time. Unfortunately my daughter is accident prone.
I'm sorry to hear that. No matter how short your wait might be you don't want to have to spend any more time in the ER than absolutely needed.

Old 12-26-2021, 12:37 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Absolutely. To me the ER should be for life and death situations, or broken bones, that kind of thing. Some people seem to use it for every day medical visits.

That's one of my peeves, people using the ER like a family doctor.

Thankfully, some insurance companies are cracking down on it by refusing to cover the visit unless it falls under certain categories.

In the last few years, there have been a lot of urgent care places opening in my town, yet the local hospital is still packed no matter what time you go.

Quote:
Since we have been in FL it has been like that every time. Unfortunately my daughter is accident prone.

My daughter used to be "accident prone". Before she was 3, she was climbing on her father's Harley when he was working on it. It fell over, breaking her leg in 3 spots. We got home from the ER, I turned my head for a minute, caught her over by the desk, caught her before the computer monitor fell on her.

When she got a little older, she had one year where she would wake up complaining her wrist was broken, sure enough, it was fractured. It happened a few times before I figured out she was hitting the headboard while she slept.

She could fall going up or down steps. Was coming downstairs from the 2nd floor when I heard her head hit the wall. She fell down the last 4 steps. She also fell going up the basement steps.

She used to complain her eyesight was bad, took her to an eye doctor who swore she didn't need glasses.

In 2011, I accidentally found out there was a reason these things happened. We have a connective tissue disorder, she also has various spine/brain issues that contribute to it. No joke, she's like a "bobble head" doll. Her head is not sitting on her spinal cord right. She also has other issues where at times, I believe that spinal fluid pressure affects her eyesight so unless an eye doctor is looking for this specific issue, her vision will not show the loss.

Old 12-26-2021, 02:13 AM

705 posts, read 504,502 times
My little hospital is full, they are no longer taking patients. All Covid old people that can’t breath. So now is the time to not get sick, or here in ND, you are driving a couple hours and “maybe” they will admit you.

Old 12-26-2021, 06:30 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
it's amazing to me that we have gotten to the place where accessing health care is as common as going to the grocery store.

Growing up no one ever went to a doctor, let alone an emergency room, unless they were really, REALLY sick. You just stayed home, took care of yourself and got better.

Today, sniffle and toe stub and people are running to the doctor. People are also the sickest they have ever been in the history of the world. Most adults are taking what, 2-3 prescription drugs daily??? For sicknesses that can be fixed by eating healthy and walking around the block every day? How/why are people so sick all the time???

How did we get here?

Old 12-26-2021, 07:22 AM

9,114 posts, read 6,155,520 times
The hospitals in central west Florida let you schedule your visit to the ER. It is now 9:20 am and they have appointments for 10 am and onward. Doesn't seem overcrowded or overwhelmed to me.

Unless you are bleeding or having a heart attack (for which you are seen immediately), ER seems ok for general non-life threatening problems.

Old 12-26-2021, 09:33 AM

3,262 posts, read 4,997,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
The hospitals in central west Florida let you schedule your visit to the ER. It is now 9:20 am and they have appointments for 10 am and onward. Doesn't seem overcrowded or overwhelmed to me.

Unless you are bleeding or having a heart attack (for which you are seen immediately), ER seems ok for general non-life threatening problems.
I think that is when you get triaged, not necessarily when you get treated.

Old 12-26-2021, 10:03 AM

13,238 posts, read 7,286,273 times
Would be nice if you could see wait times of ER rooms online.

Old 12-26-2021, 10:28 AM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Would be nice if you could see wait times of ER rooms online.
Often you can, but sad experience has shown us those times often don't mean much.

Partly because no one can ever tell what's about to come in those ER doors.

Old 12-26-2021, 11:46 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,243,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
One of the Plush Care doctors told me the secret to getting seen right away in the ER: Go between 2 and 5 am. I did this at the Mayo Clinic ER and he was right. I was the only patient there.
You DONT need an ER if you can schedule it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness