Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2021, 03:09 PM

11,015 posts, read 6,865,758 times

Advertisements

Oh yes, you did mention that. That's sweet she thought she was on TV. Gotta love these older folks who are passing away. Now Betty White.

Old 12-31-2021, 04:08 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,939,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
There is no way on God's green earth that I would allow someone that age to be near non vaccinated people

My nephew refused to get vaxed. His mother told him that if he wants to see my 98 YO mother-in-law, he had to be vaccinated.

He was vaccinated and also received his booster
You realize one of the mods on CD was vaccinated and boosted ... and has had COVID twice. Once after the initial vaccine and then again after the booster. She posted about it.

Vaccination status is no guarantee of anything.

Vaccinated persons can get COVID, can spread COVID and can die of COVID.

Facts. Stop hiding behind the vaccine .. it doesn't work.

Old 12-31-2021, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
You realize one of the mods on CD was vaccinated and boosted ... and has had COVID twice. Once after the initial vaccine and then again after the booster. She posted about it.

Vaccination status is no guarantee of anything.

Vaccinated persons can get COVID, can spread COVID and can die of COVID.

Facts. Stop hiding behind the vaccine .. it doesn't work.
Yes, some of the relatives have been fully vaccinated and gotten Covid. The unvaccinated have all not gotten Covid (so far). It doesn't help that there were already tensions between some of the vaxxers and anti-vaxxers. Covid has not helped that situation at all.

Old 12-31-2021, 05:42 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,939,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Yes, some of the relatives have been fully vaccinated and gotten Covid. The unvaccinated have all not gotten Covid (so far). It doesn't help that there were already tensions between some of the vaxxers and anti-vaxxers. Covid has not helped that situation at all.
It would be nice if people could just back off. Sigh.

Old 01-01-2022, 09:16 AM

1,400 posts, read 765,282 times
Hi Pathrunner, I was just thinking does a hundred-year-old person really WANT a huge party? It's possible that they might like something smaller with those he or she loves the most.

Old 01-01-2022, 10:36 AM

Yes he actually does! But that won't happen this time. His 95th had about 40 people.

This year it will probably only be 10 people at each party. Both places have a nice outdoor area and it's Southern California so really.... the weather will likely cooperate.

Old 01-01-2022, 01:20 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,209,295 times
If you're letting fear of interacting with unvaccinated persons (and ignoring for the moment that you don't really truly know someone's vaccination status under these circumstances) modify your behavior so much, you're probably better off living in your own box.

From what I gather, both vaccinated and unvaccinated persons can pass COVID, but being unvaccinated makes it more likely that you develop COVID symptoms and thus more likely that you'll transmit COVID to others. In this case, checking temperatures, requiring negative COVID tests, etc., are among a host of things that should be an option for the vaxxers in this situation.

For the record, I am vaccinated and encourage others to get vaccinated, but I do frown down on those events that require people to be vaccinated; event organizers' rights, I guess, which I respect, but I tend to avoid those events or organizations as is my right. One thing I was looking forward to greatly when I move back to Honolulu later this year was joining this rugby group. But I then saw that they "require proof of vaccination" before you can participate and said the group is not for me.

Old 01-01-2022, 06:05 PM

Thank you. Tell that first paragraph to a couple of relatives of mine.

Old 01-02-2022, 07:12 AM

14,944 posts, read 12,136,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Thank you. Tell that first paragraph to a couple of relatives of mine.
Yeah, it sounds as though, from what you've written in your posts here, that you are just trying to facilitate the celebration of your dad's 100th birthday, a party and get together of loved ones he wants very much, but you're stuck in the middle of the "vaxxed vs unvaxxed" standoff. That's a scenario who in their right minds could ever have conceived, but here we are.
Methinks you could use the wisdom of Solomon here.

It's a tough situation to be in, and hopefully it all works out to be a ( or maybe two) memorable celebration(s) that will mean more than anyone can say, not just to your dad but to everyone who attends these events.

Old 01-02-2022, 07:53 AM

Yes, I think it will turn out fine. My family is loaded with alpha types so I'm staying out of it. I'm not going to either party. I'll take my dad on a nice outing that we both enjoy and spend true some quality time. Botanic Garden, Bolsa Chica Wetlands (bird watching), I'll ask him which he prefers. Probably both, if I stick around SoCal long enough.

I told my dad "you better not die on us 18 days before your 100th like Betty!" He laughed. "I'm planning on the Big C." Prob is, we never know...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness