Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2022, 07:06 AM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times

Advertisements

I thought it was 4 free per person, but it is per household. Great if your single, not so great if you are a couple with 3 kids.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2022, 09:06 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I thought it was 4 free per person, but it is per household. Great if your single, not so great if you are a couple with 3 kids.
Or if you have several people living in the household. I guess they can't sign up separately.

I just tried to order some more for my granddaughter, who is over 18 but who lives with me and got a message saying that tests had already been ordered for this address.

Old 01-19-2022, 11:19 AM

5,581 posts, read 2,308,300 times
Quote:
People with private health insurance can purchase the kits and submit the receipt for reimbursement from their health insurance carrier. Up to 8 tests per month/per person on the health insurance plan. Kits that come with 2 tests within the box count as 2 tests. A couple with 3 kids on their plan can get up to 40 free tests per month. Eventually they'll be able to get the kits free at specific retailers which the health insurance indicates to use. Else buy them and submit receipt for reimbursement.

I ordered some of these kits online and already submitted the claim to my insurance. Must be purchased starting 1/15 and later.

Old 01-19-2022, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
People with private health insurance can purchase the kits and submit the receipt for reimbursement from their health insurance carrier. Up to 8 tests per month/per person on the health insurance plan. Kits that come with 2 tests within the box count as 2 tests. A couple with 3 kids on their plan can get up to 40 free tests per month. Eventually they'll be able to get the kits free at specific retailers which the health insurance indicates to use. Else buy them and submit receipt for reimbursement.

I ordered some of these kits online and already submitted the claim to my insurance. Must be purchased starting 1/15 and later.
Do you know if this varies by health insurance plan? I am asking because my health insurance has a very high deductible.

Old 01-19-2022, 04:25 PM

9,457 posts, read 5,221,264 times
I ordered some (one pack/4 tests is the limit) from the US gov't site. We'll see how long it takes to get them.

Old 01-19-2022, 04:31 PM

2,045 posts, read 1,661,124 times
I've heard these tests can be ruined if they are allowed to freeze. Although we're in Alaska, we're certainly not the only people in the country with a job and an outside mailbox in below freezing weather. Seems like if this is true, a lot of test kits that are mailed will be no good before they get a chance to be used.

Old 01-19-2022, 06:22 PM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Do you know if this varies by health insurance plan? I am asking because my health insurance has a very high deductible.

Up to 8 are completely covered by insurance, no copays or deductibles.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-20-2022, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Up to 8 are completely covered by insurance, no copays or deductibles.
I just googled this and yes, it's part of an act by the Biden administration, which took effect January 15. Thank you!

This is a lot of free tests. Interesting times we live in. And of course, many of these free tests really aren't free, because tax dollars or medical insurance dollars are paying for them. There's no free lunch, is there? I've never heard of an insurance company actually taking a loss across the board.

Quote:
Beginning January 15, 2022, individuals with private health insurance coverage or covered by a group health plan who purchase an over-the-counter COVID-19 diagnostic test authorized, cleared, or approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) will be able to have those test costs covered by their plan or insurance. Insurance companies and health plans are required to cover 8 free over-the-counter at-home tests per covered individual per month.
Quote:
This effort is in addition to a number of actions the Biden Administration is taking to expand access to testing for all Americans. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) is providing up to 50 million free, at-home tests to community health centers and Medicare-certified health clinics for distribution at no cost to patients and community members. The program is intended to ensure COVID-19 tests are made available to populations and settings in need of testing. HHS also has established more than 10,000 free community-based pharmacy testing sites around the country. To respond to the Omicron surge, HHS and FEMA are creating surge testing sites in states across the nation.
https://www.hhs.gov/about/news/2022/...ree-tests.html

Old 01-20-2022, 07:09 AM

So in addition to the free tests sent to any valid address (four per household), there are free testing sites set up around the country, 50 MILLION free, at home tests sent to community health centers and medicare-certified health clinics, and also up to 8 free tests per person per month via health insurance plans. Wow - lots and lots and lots of free tests out there, people.

Old 01-20-2022, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
I ordered some (one pack/4 tests is the limit) from the US gov't site. We'll see how long it takes to get them.
This should be interesting.

I just got a letter from the IRS stating that it will take them two additional months to process my return. This is after MONTHS of waiting already.

Strange times we live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness