Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2022, 11:33 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,973,821 times

Advertisements

Why some can eat so much and never get fat?

There are people that eat lots of carbs and just dont get fat. With all those carbs, their insulin should be high, and they should get fat.

I know this old chinese couple who does work for my company some times. They are elderly but I guess like to stay active doing renovations, and painting work. For lunch they eat a big container of chinese food which comes with a lot of rice. For dinner they likely eat rice again. But they are both super skinny. And they are old. Their metabolism should be shot.

Michael Phelps in his prime diet consisted of a lot of pancakes and waffles. Of course he trained a lot. So is constant exercise the key?

A lot of Italians are very thin while eating a lot of pasta and pizza. Now I have seen fat Italians too. But many are thin and slender. Carbs are a staple part of their diets. Much like rice is to East asians.

Do some percentage of population have genetically high insulin tolerance? I think I used to be one of those people. As a kid, I ate lots of carbs, and never got fat. As a young adult, I can eat carbs, and just exercise to stay thin. As I got older, became harder and harder to just exercise and stay in shape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2022, 10:52 AM

2,235 posts, read 2,409,031 times
Calories in, calories out. Carbs don't make you fat....eating too many calories does.

Old 01-09-2022, 11:23 AM

3,450 posts, read 2,429,981 times
Your metabolism changes as you age. Your physical fitness also changes, so does your exercise capability. Generally, little kids can easily burn off calories just by doing things little kids do - running around, riding their bikes, chasing each other, playing sports, doing actual exercises like jumping jacks, in other words - tons of high-impact cardio exercise. The typical 50-year-old will not be doing all of that. They'll need less fuel to keep their bodies healthy because they're not burning the high rate of fuel that they did when they were 15.

Food is fuel and nourishment. It's both of these things. Carbs are the rocket-fuel of our fuel intake. If you don't need as much fuel, then eat things that are more nourishing (super-unleaded gasoline) and less rocket fuel (carbs).

Old 01-09-2022, 01:10 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,134,864 times
This Chinese couple is eating rice, but it’s plain, no butter, cheese or sauces that rice and pasta usually have. This kind of rice is a good carb. Exercise is the thing that burns calories, to eat more of them, you must increase exercise to burn them off. Otherwise, they stick around.

There are so many complicated diets and ideas out there. It’s not complicated at all.

Old 01-09-2022, 04:16 PM

88,642 posts, read 84,911,862 times
I used to be one of those people, then it all changed. Skinny, ate Burger King and pizza and bags of candy all the time.

Then close to 30, on a whim I got on the doctor-type scale outside my work cafeteria and laughed because the scale was obviously broken, except that I came to realize that it wasn't.

Old 01-10-2022, 08:05 AM

2,120 posts, read 1,464,086 times
Genetics. We have a girl at work who is now in her 50's. Smoked for over 30 years (recently quit), eats fried food and junk, whatever she wants and lays out in the summer time. You can't tell the difference between her and her daughters on her face book page. She has beautiful clear, wrinkle free skin, thick hair, gorgeous and the body of an athlete (just took up running so that helps). She is petite and fabulous. We all notice.

Some people are born into rich families, some into fame and fortune. And some have great genes.

Old 01-10-2022, 08:53 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,931,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I used to be one of those people, then it all changed. Skinny, ate Burger King and pizza and bags of candy all the time.

Then close to 30, on a whim I got on the doctor-type scale outside my work cafeteria and laughed because the scale was obviously broken, except that I came to realize that it wasn't.
Same here. My metabolism changed when I was in my mid-30s. Still remember when I was teen eating a half-bag of Reese's peanut-butter cups (or was it a full bag?)... Ah, those were the days...

But it has to do with metabolism and what you eat. Some people have super-high metabolisms that don't change when they age. Some people are just lucky that way. Most generally do change, usually in their 20s/30s or so.

Old 01-10-2022, 10:06 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,633,056 times
Has nothing to do with genetics. Carbs have been around forever. In this country the food has been poisoned and processed beyond human comprehension. There are all kinds of disgusting chemicals being sprayed and cooked into our foods that contribute to the health defects of Americans around the country. The FDA won't do anything about it because they vested financial interest in maintaining GMO's. They are one of the most corrupt organizations in the entire world. The one kudos I will give Europe any credit for is the fact that they prioritize their own people and health over profits.

Outside of the poisoned food supply, we have terrible diets and bad dietary practices that other nations just don't do. We consume excess sugar and processed foods, then wash it all down with cold, sugary, soft drinks filled with corn-syrup. That on top of a complete lack of daily and weekly exercise. There is so much bad to unpack, it is too long to count! Educate yourself out of the matrix and start by reading Sugar Blues by William Dufty.

Old 01-10-2022, 10:19 AM

12,787 posts, read 15,010,201 times
I watch this Youtuber (happens to be Chinese too as you said about the couple, OP). My best guess is he's in his early to mid-30s. He'll literally go to 3-5 restaurants & order 2-3 FULL meals & eats them & he's in good shape on the outside...don't know how his insides look! He eats TONS of noodles & wontons/potstickers 97% of the time & not really any vegetables. He's the only person I've seen who eats that much & doesn't gain a pound.

All I can think of is that he must take some kind of ancient Chinese herbs or something that regular people don't know about that maybe has been passed down generations in his family. He works out a pretty good amount I'm sure, it seems though too. I sure wish I knew what it was he did!

Last edited by Forever Blue; 01-10-2022 at 10:42 AM.. Reason: Fixed a couple of words.

Old 01-10-2022, 10:27 AM

310 posts, read 324,339 times
I believe fast food joints are the reason the majority of people are obese. They are everywhere, they are cheap, and convenient. The food is complete and utter garbage and it is over the top caloric. It is also designed to taste really good so you will keep coming back. It may not be the only reason of course, but it certainly owns quite a bit of the blame.
In the 50' and 60's fast food joints where pretty much non existent. Now they are everywhere.
If you watch any of the obesity reality shows fast food is the food of choice, and lots of it.

I do also believe that genetics play a role in people who are skinny and stay skinny for the majority of their lives. They may be eating all the fast food crap and not gain an ounce. I hate these people!

Portion size is another, 'new' thing that came about in the late 70's. Restaurants where piling plates sky high with wayyyyyyy too much food.

Add in a sedentary lifestyle and that is a recipe for obesity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness