Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2022, 01:11 PM

5,213 posts, read 3,012,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I wouldn't until the strain on our health care industry is reduced.
Generally OBGYNs arent doing much for COVID. Besides, when wont our health care system not be strained due to COVID?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2022, 01:17 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,577,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Okay, fair points, but I still think if you look at the number of people who die worldwide of all forms of communicable disease, it is lower proportionally now than other times. 2021 and 2020 may be hiccups in First World countries, but I'm speaking worldwide. In fairness, though, maybe worldwide doesn't really matter in your case. And while the health care system is currently overworked in some places (but not all), there have been advances in prenatal care, healthcare technology and patient knowledge and access to information, that offset these challenges. That's all I'm saying.

I’m not talking about world advances in prenatal care or technology tho AND the health care system is overworked just about everywhere….with less staff. Think of the volume of administering vaccines or covid testing before you count anything else! AND…is there an end in sight or a new variant that will be worse? So…ofc it’s something I think about when we have talked about a pregnancy or if we change our minds.

edit: My husband & I are both vaccinated & healthy…but getting covid could add a lot of health risk for me if I was pregnant AND possibly a totally different L&D experience for us, when & if that time comes.

Last edited by TashaPosh; 01-16-2022 at 01:45 PM..

Old 01-16-2022, 01:17 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Generally OBGYNs arent doing much for COVID. Besides, when wont our health care system not be strained due to COVID?
It's a general strain, and I just wouldn't. People from one discipline are going out to help in other disciplines that are under strain, supply chain issues, etc.

I'm not telling her not to, she asked an opinion, and that was mine.

I'm hoping that after omicron has it's way with us, it will become.... a less dominant force in our day-to-day activities.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-16-2022, 01:26 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,595,322 times
We had our first just before Covid (hes just shy of 3 now) and my wife is pregnant with #2 now.

My biggest concern w/ #1 was development with less contact to kids and adults. This (thankfully) hasn't been the case, and he is very well adjusted, talking, etc. Masks are a hard adjustment and one that I hope are short lived. We interact with a lot of families who kids at this same age are well behind IMO. Too attached to mom/dad, can't interact w/ other kids. We didn't really slow down for covid and kept (safely) interacting w/ friends and family, traveling, etc.

So far so good w/ #2. Wife's doc recommended booster which she got. I'm able to attend Dr. appts (as the husband) and will be able to be present for the delivery (as of now).

Old 01-16-2022, 01:53 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,183,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
I’m not talking about world advances in prenatal care or technology tho AND the health care system is overworked just about everywhere….with less staff. Think of the volume of administering vaccines or covid testing if you don’t count anything else! AND…is there an end in sight or a new variant that will be worse? So…ofc it’s something I think about when we have talked about a pregnancy or if we change our minds.
To play devil's advocate. what if the bolded never ends or just gets progressively worse? The pandemic has led to a huge exodus of staff from the health care sector. Early retirement of physicians, nurses leaving the bedside and many people (primarily lower level staff) leaving the field altogether. How will those realities factor into your decision making? Should those factor into decision making at all?

There's never a perfect time to be pregnant. But since I was the one who brought up healthcare advancements and technology, isn't it amazing that we have the ability to make informed decisions about when, how and if to get pregnant that weren't even options for women a few decades ago?

I guess if I were in your shoes, depending on my age, I could see put it on the back burner for a while, but no more than a year or two. I had both my kids at almost 37 and 40 and had very easy pregnancies, but I was well aware that my advanced maternal age status could be an issue.

Old 01-16-2022, 02:12 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,577,093 times
Quote:
To play devil's advocate. what if the bolded never ends or just gets progressively worse? The pandemic has led to a huge exodus of staff from the health care sector. Early retirement of physicians, nurses leaving the bedside and many people (primarily lower level staff) leaving the field altogether. How will those realities factor into your decision making? Should those factor into decision making at all?

It factors in IMO because of covid risk in pregnancy AND quality of care. Ofc it’s unpredictable where we will be 9 months or a year from now AND what our experience in L&D would be then. Just like it was unpredictable in 2020 when we had to postpone & totally change our wedding.

Quote:
I guess if I were in your shoes, depending on my age, I could see put it on the back burner for a while, but no more than a year or two. I had both my kids at almost 37 and 40 and had very easy pregnancies, but I was well aware that my advanced maternal age status could be an issue.

Like I explained in my O.P…the issue for us is my husband’s age. He’s older than me AND we originally decided not to have a baby because of that & our lifestyle but we have not made a decision about doing anything permanently yet. But since my pregnancy scare, we’ve started talking about it again…tho getting covid if I was pregnant is a part of that conversation now. It’s a risk for severe illness & hospitalization.

edit: IMO…how could any couple that is talking about a pregnancy not at least about it?

Last edited by TashaPosh; 01-16-2022 at 02:21 PM..

Old 01-16-2022, 03:15 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,057,058 times
Whether nuclear war in the 80s, Obama's subprime mortgage meltdown in 2008, or Coronavirus in 2020, every reasonable mother+father asks "is now a good time to have a baby?" But Life carries on, regardless.

My nextdoor neighbors changed during the worst of the pandemic, and a new couple moved in and had a newborn in the past few months. I see them take baby out for a stroll every now and then, and wave from afar.

I must admit, I've never APPROACHED and seen their baby up close, so I dont know if its a boy or a girl. Walking up and coo'ing at the new baby does seem like something that belongs to the pre-pandemic world.

I have another distant-family relation who had their first at 20, that was in 2021.

It will be curious to see the birth rate stats in a few years, and see if they've gone up or down in the US.

Old 01-16-2022, 07:03 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,099,317 times
If you wait for the right time, it'll never be the right time.

I have 3 pandemic grandbabies, all mom's unvaccinated & they are now active toddlers developing well ahead of schedule. Nobody had a hard time obtaining care.

But to answer you're question "would I"? The answer is: Yes I would.

Old 01-17-2022, 12:57 AM

10,113 posts, read 10,965,703 times
I had my first beautiful great grandson born May 2020 when our country was shutdown. Last Tuesday January 11, 2022 I had a perfect great niece born. Her mother had Covid in November 2021 during the pregnancy. Both babies born in our local hospital, in one day out the next.

Old 01-17-2022, 09:32 AM

14,302 posts, read 11,692,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
It will be curious to see the birth rate stats in a few years, and see if they've gone up or down in the US.
You don't need to wait to find out. Birth rates dipped a lot during the first wave of Covid.

Here's an article. https://www.brookings.edu/research/e...-19-baby-bust/

I think the most interesting statement in it is this:

Quote:
Birth rate reductions were largest among highly educated women, women in their late 30s and early 40s, and those who already had at least one child. These are not the groups most affected by job or income losses, which suggests that pandemic-related factors beyond economic challenges were important drivers of the observed reduction in births.
It wasn't financial reasons that caused the birth rate to drop among older and more educated women, so what was it? Probably worry and anxiety. A tendency to overthink everything: "What if this, what if that?"

As others have said, if you wait for the perfect time for everything, life will pass you by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness