Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2022, 01:47 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times

Advertisements

Not the most appetizing of topics, I know. But about three months ago, I started coughing a dozen or so times a day because nasal discharge was going down into my lungs. I also have a chronic runny nose and a deviated septum. (No, I do not have COVID.)

I don't know what to do about this. It'll be at least another month before I can get an appt with my allergist. Worse, there are no antihistamines on the market that work for me, I've tried them all. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2022, 06:04 AM

3,121 posts, read 2,063,897 times
I would try a natural decongestant and antihistamine (hot, not cold), such as

Ginger root tea
Peppermint tea
Nettle tea, or
Thyme tea

(The additional fluid helps too)

If needed, I would add warm salt water gargle to clear phlegm from the back of the throat.

Some people would do nasal irrigation also but I wouldn't (don't like it).

Old 01-18-2022, 06:23 AM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Not the most appetizing of topics, I know. But about three months ago, I started coughing a dozen or so times a day because nasal discharge was going down into my lungs. I also have a chronic runny nose and a deviated septum. (No, I do not have COVID.)

I don't know what to do about this. It'll be at least another month before I can get an appt with my allergist. Worse, there are no antihistamines on the market that work for me, I've tried them all. Any ideas?
Coricidin HBP at least once a day. It works wonders for me. I have the exact same thing and it can cause me to cough so hard that I can't catch my thread, so it has literally been a life-saver several times.

Old 01-18-2022, 06:56 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
I use sinus rinse, which helps a bit. I know some people don’t like it. I find that the xlear mix is a bit more helpful than the saline mix, but I alternate the two. This should help flush out any allergens that contribute to post-nasal drip. Otherwise, I use the xlear nasal sprays as well. There is a plain type and a severe congestion type.

Unfortunately, I am allergic to dust, so there is not a whole lot I can do in the winter. I do keep a humidifier in the bedroom, which is helpful, but there are nights where I wake up coughing. I also cough in certain environments if it is dusty.

Old 01-18-2022, 06:59 AM

7,234 posts, read 4,542,662 times
Humid air seems to cure it for me. I vote humidifier or a long shower.

Old 01-18-2022, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
I would try a natural decongestant and antihistamine (hot, not cold), such as

Ginger root tea
Peppermint tea
Nettle tea, or
Thyme tea

(The additional fluid helps too)

If needed, I would add warm salt water gargle to clear phlegm from the back of the throat.

Some people would do nasal irrigation also but I wouldn't (don't like it).
I do nasal irrigation but the results are temporary.

I like your natural decongestant list. I'm going to try those. What could it hurt? Thanks!

Old 01-18-2022, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Coricidin HBP at least once a day. It works wonders for me. I have the exact same thing and it can cause me to cough so hard that I can't catch my thread, so it has literally been a life-saver several times.
Ooh, I like that idea. Just ordered some from Amazon.

The coughing seems to have started around the first of October. Something about fall & winter, I guess.

Old 01-18-2022, 06:54 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,661,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post

Have you tried Flonase? I was surprised to find that it really works. But don't use for more than a couple of weeks at a time.

Old 01-18-2022, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Have you tried Flonase? I was surprised to find that it really works. But don't use for more than a couple of weeks at a time.
I have Flonase. It takes about a week before it starts working.

I had not heard that about limiting one's use of Flonase. The makers of Flonase say it can be used every day.

Old 01-19-2022, 03:05 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,182,686 times
Post Nasal Drip can make the throat very irritated which can cause severe coughing.
It would be a very unusual situation to aspirate into your lungs.
Products like guaifenesin (such as Musinex) helps thin mucus which helps alleviate the irritation as well as any mucus in the lungs, making coughing easier.
Lozenges can help with soothing the throat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness