Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2022, 10:18 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,580,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrychen View Post
It's weakness, not a 'disease.'

It may be a weakness at 1st….& a bad decision to try to escape problems with alcohol or drugs. BUT it develops into a disease when it’s a compulsive behavior that can’t be stopped (edit: just by being strong) AND a physical & psychological dependence. It involves insight into why & learning about dependency plus the high rate of comorbidity. It’s super common for bipolar ppl to be addicts.

Last edited by TashaPosh; 01-23-2022 at 10:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2022, 11:20 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
So diabetes II, heart disease, arthritis, spinal injuries in obese people that were caused by being obese - those aren't diseases either - they're just people who need help changing their ways. Right?
I certainly wouldn't say so for the spine injuries. But definitely for diabetes II & heart disease. Most cases of heart disease and diabetes are preventable and reversible. People who eat a whole foods, plant based diet free of processed foods and minimal red meat are much less likely to get diabetes or heart disease. And people who permanently change their eating habits can often reverse those diseases.

The medical industry isn't interested in people changing how they eat. There's no $$ in it. Doctors get very little or no education on nutrition in medical school.

https://www.livescience.com/5627-key...-revealed.html

Scientists this week are reporting a breakthrough therapy to lower the risk of developing the most common and deadly chronic diseases — diabetes, cardiovascular disease and cancer — by about 80 percent.

In some ways, this might sound like old news. The therapy is called taking care of yourself: not smoking, exercising regularly, eating a healthy diet and maintaining a healthy weight.......

....Cancer is difficult to cure simply with lifestyle changes. Lung cancer would go away, but the four aforementioned health factors contributed to "only" a 36-percent reduced risk of all cancers on average.

Diabetes, on the other hand, doesn't need to exist. And it hardly did exist until the 20th century. The researchers found that four health factors contributed to a 93-percent reduced risk in developing diabetes among the people in the study.

Heart disease, too, is largely preventable. Here the risk of a heart attack was lowered by 81 percent. In fact an unrelated study, also published this week, in PLoS ONE, suggests that heart attacks and strokes may have been rare for the vast majority of human history.

Old 01-23-2022, 07:37 PM

13,722 posts, read 7,992,868 times
I had trouble with alcohol from the beginning and come have a family history of problem drinkers. However, I stopped drinking almost 29. So...do I have a disease or allergy? Am I weak-will or just plain f-ed up. It doesn't matter. I'll cop to them all. All that matters is I don't pick up that first drink.

But if I had to vote I'd go with genetics. I suspect genetics plays a role in my inability to drink in moderation.

Old 01-23-2022, 09:35 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
I don't know whether alcoholism is a disease or not. But is someone is addicted to a substance, ruins their life abusing that substance, then stops using it, that's good. But I don't think that person should expect congratulations from normal people for being sober. That validation should come from within.

Old 01-24-2022, 02:01 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,101,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrychen View Post
It's weakness, not a 'disease.'
Totally agree. And I should not, as a tax payer, pay for anyone's weakness. Life is all about choices.

Old 01-24-2022, 09:46 AM

761 posts, read 447,145 times
I read a book written by a research scientist, written from the perspective of gerontology research into aging. The goal is to find out the causes of aging to help people age without so many degenerative diseases. And they have already made a very big discovery: They now know how senescent cells can be eliminated which has the effect of reducing or perhaps even eliminating inflammation.

But advances in research have been painfully slow and here's why: Aging is not considered to be a disease, so it's almost impossible to get any significant amount of funding.

So, instead of finding out how to prevent degenerative diseases in the first place, old people need to get a degenerative disease and then seek standard treatment.

Last edited by LongevitySeeker; 01-24-2022 at 10:00 AM..

Old 01-24-2022, 10:18 AM

761 posts, read 447,145 times
Those who talked about obesity being a weakness or behavioral problem might have forgotten about those who became obese as children through no fault of their own.

When I was in high school my best friend was obese and he told me his mother thought the chubbier he got the cuter he was, and he showed me some pictures of himself in grammar school. He was indeed very overweight. He didn't realize how bad it was to be overweight until he got to high school and by then he was obese.

He told me he tried every diet he could think of and couldn't lose the weight. You know, once you have all that body fat, those fat cells want to be fed like any other cells in your body. And if you don't feed them you're going to feel hungry all the time.
Anyway, I was just the opposite, very lean, and he told me never to gain any weight because he said, "once you gain weight it's very difficult to lose it."

Old 01-24-2022, 10:24 AM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
I had trouble with alcohol from the beginning and come have a family history of problem drinkers. However, I stopped drinking almost 29. So...do I have a disease or allergy? Am I weak-will or just plain f-ed up. It doesn't matter. I'll cop to them all. All that matters is I don't pick up that first drink.

But if I had to vote I'd go with genetics. I suspect genetics plays a role in my inability to drink in moderation.
I believe so. I can drink or not drink, but my ex couldn't not drink once he started and neither can our daughter. She would agree with the bolded. It's her responsibility to not take that first one. She never met her grandfather because he was dead at 49 from drinking, and her great-grandmother abandoned her children because she didn't want to come home from the bar. I believe it's definitely genetic.

Old 01-24-2022, 10:32 AM

13,722 posts, read 7,992,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I believe so. I can drink or not drink, but my ex couldn't not drink once he started and neither can our daughter. She would agree with the bolded. It's her responsibility to not take that first one. She never met her grandfather because he was dead at 49 from drinking, and her great-grandmother abandoned her children because she didn't want to come home from the bar. I believe it's definitely genetic.
That's the way I see it. It's a hard lesson to learn for some (including myself.) However, you either learn it or the issues associated with problem drinking often continue.

Old 01-24-2022, 10:42 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingandwondering View Post
Yes. Alcoholism was classified as a "disease" to enrich rehab facilities and doctors. And it worked well for them, but not so much for the addict/alcoholic.
That's because the patient doesn't use the facilities' and doctors' advice. There's where the personal responsibility comes in. It starts with not taking the next drink. That's where they make their first mistake, post-treatment.

Isn't that a bizarre thought? If patients followed the advice they got in treatment all treatment centers would have a hundred percent success rate! We should have such good fortune with cancer.

It's so simple that no one should even need it. That's what's hideous about the condition - the solution is simple. Maintaining it is difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness