Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2022, 10:19 AM

9,126 posts, read 6,180,105 times

Advertisements

There are also companies like Good Rx and SingleCare.

https://www.goodrx.com/
https://www.singlecare.com/prescription-discount-card

Generic drugs are not always the same as the brand name drug. Whilst they must have the same active ingredient, the other additives may be different, or the drugs are not stored or handled the same way. IMHO.

OK, flame on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2022, 04:14 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
I don’t see any of the myriad drugs advertised on TV.
I don’t take any drugs, but I have a list of 68 drugs advertised on TV that I am supposed to “talk to my doctor…”.
I don’t even know what these drugs do as I mute every TV commercial.

I don't think you're missing anything. Those "ask your doctor if it's right for you" are the newer ones, so very expensive, even with insurance.

I can't imagine taking the name of of a medicine I saw advertised on TV to my doctor, and asking, "is this right for me?", let alone trying to pressure the doc into prescribing it for me. I'm told people do this, though, so I guess Big Pharma finds it profitable enough to advertise the way they do.

Old 02-01-2022, 04:29 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Generics are equivalent to brand name and other generics unless manufacturer is really bad and FDA misses it. (Very rare)

Sorry, I don't agree with you. My body knows the difference because I have allergies to certain generics. I've elaborated in the past how I didn't know I had a generic of my main medication when I started getting sick from it. It didn't occur to me until I took a few because I didn't know the generic was being made again because it was taken off the market when it first came out in 2005.

I have allergies to fillers

Old 02-01-2022, 05:19 AM

50,370 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I have used blinkhealth.com, geniusrx.com, Goodrx.com and globalpharmacyplus.com (Canada). There may be others.

They all have deals on some drugs...depending. For example, a drug I take would have been $174. through my insurance, was $11. through blinkhealth.

The drug my husband gets through Canada, is not available in generic in the US, but is in other countries. $300+ for 30 days through insurance, he pays $70. for 90 days.

Old 02-01-2022, 08:43 AM

9,858 posts, read 7,729,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I don't think you're missing anything. Those "ask your doctor if it's right for you" are the newer ones, so very expensive, even with insurance.

I can't imagine taking the name of of a medicine I saw advertised on TV to my doctor, and asking, "is this right for me?", let alone trying to pressure the doc into prescribing it for me. I'm told people do this, though, so I guess Big Pharma finds it profitable enough to advertise the way they do.
My husband just stopped our doctor at church on Sunday and asked that very thing, everyone had a big laugh over it.

Old 02-01-2022, 09:00 AM

50,370 posts, read 63,964,084 times
We often talk about those ads and wonder how expensive they must be. They must be paying off. Actually, if your doctor prescribes one, he probably gets a kickback from the drug company. It’s no wonder drugs are so expensive.

My husbands doctor told him he gets $35. every time he demonstrates a Spiriva inhaler to a patient. That is the drug we get through Canada generic, at a huge savings.

Old 02-10-2023, 08:19 PM

2,147 posts, read 3,590,722 times
I just posted praising Mark Cuban and then I saw this thread. Instead of spending about $800/month I spend under $75/month on two meds that are doing wonders to control my ulcerative colitis. I can not come remotely close to Mark Cuban's Cost+ with insurance, with GoodRX or any other discount program, nor buying from a so-called "Canadian pharmacy." I say "so-called" because while some are legitimate many are not.

Since this thread was started Mark Cuban has been expanding the scope of his business to include affordable insulin, working on non-generics, and even has his own pharmaceutical manufacturing plant coming on line, and he is adding more generics daily.

Old 02-10-2023, 11:53 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,902,551 times
We saved 80% on our dog's medication by using GoodRx.

I don't know what the loophole is but the patient doesn't have to be human. We have used it at several pharmacies.

One time the person at the counter asked me for the patient's DOB. I said, I don't know, she came from a shelter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness