Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2022, 08:36 AM

401 posts, read 528,365 times

Advertisements

I badly injured my shoulder and for a while assumed I had torn a rotator cuff tendon but the more I think about it, deal with the pain and loss of range of motion and total inability to get any sleep - the more I am starting to think it is a separated / pulled-off labrum or torn labrum that is keeping the shoulder slightly out of place. Ever since the injury, I have sworn it looks like it is further out and forward than the normal shoulder but I figured it had to be my imagination.

Anyway, was wondering if anyone here has had rotator cuff surgery or even more if anyone here has had surgery to repair a labrum tear or separation. If so - what was it like, what was the recovery like and how did it all turn out for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2022, 09:08 AM

1,304 posts, read 855,586 times
Well, you could check with our QB, Baker Mayfield, who just had surgery for a torn labrum!

I'm actually also responding, as I managed to injure a similar part of my shoulder shoveling snow. Life here in Ohio is just never-ending fun! I haven't been to a doctor either to get an actual diagnosis, but sounds similar to what you have, so hope someone with some actual knowledge responds! I don't think it's rotator cuff, as what I could find out online said if so, it would hurt to raise your arm up over your head...and that is no problem...more an inner movement, like across the chest. Anyhow, hope someone chimes in with some info for you/us!

Old 02-13-2022, 09:23 AM

401 posts, read 528,365 times
I have been an continue to be in a situation that has prevented me from being able to get to a doctor. But I have spent countess hours, days and weeks reading everything I could find on shoulder anatomy, injuries, symptoms, etc.....so short of having imaging equipment and a medical degree, I think I have done all I can do. Everything I have tried has not done even a tiny bit of good - waiting, resting, stretching, icing, pain meds (tried 1200mg of ibuprofen every day for a week - and it was like sugar pills. That stuff is worthless as far as I am concerned). I have lost about 50% of my normal range of motion with both internal and external rotation (cannot reach behind back nor can I reach across chest) But the biggest disaster has been I haven't had more than 5 minutes of uninterrupted sleep because any movement at all while I am laying in bed is so painful - it wakes me up. So I'm exhausted all the time. If I ever do have to have surgery, it will be a major problem for a lot of reasons - not the least of which is that I am totally alone with nobody to help even a little bit with anything.

Old 02-13-2022, 02:20 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,166,868 times
I had rotator cuff surgery 20 years ago. It went so well I wished I had had it done sooner as it was an old injury that had nagged me for about 15 years. What finally made me go ahead with the surgery was I reached the point where I could not reach around and pull up my pants on once side, and I could no longer move my arm up on the steering wheel when turning the car. I had laparoscopic surgery and it was very easy, done outpatient. It really didn't hurt afterward and I think I was back at work and driving in a few days. I did physical therapy afterward to get my range of motion back that I had lost due to lack of use all those years. Definitely at least go see a doctor so you know what is going on.

Old 02-13-2022, 05:42 PM

4,958 posts, read 2,237,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanJ44 View Post
I badly injured my shoulder and for a while assumed I had torn a rotator cuff tendon but the more I think about it, deal with the pain and loss of range of motion and total inability to get any sleep - the more I am starting to think it is a separated / pulled-off labrum or torn labrum that is keeping the shoulder slightly out of place. Ever since the injury, I have sworn it looks like it is further out and forward than the normal shoulder but I figured it had to be my imagination.

Anyway, was wondering if anyone here has had rotator cuff surgery or even more if anyone here has had surgery to repair a labrum tear or separation. If so - what was it like, what was the recovery like and how did it all turn out for you?
I've had a slight tear in my rotator cuff that was surprisingly repaired with an arthroscope. I say "surprisingly" because when I went under to repair a number of shoulder issues, I expected to be out of work 12 or more weeks, not just a few days. It worked out well as I was a small business owner at the time.

My wife had surgery to repair a torn labrum. Her shoulder froze and had to have a manipulation under anesthesia several weeks later. That was a year ago and she still has limited range and motion and still receives physical therapy.

I was a best-case scenario and my wife was a near worst-case scenario.

Old 02-14-2022, 12:51 AM

44,628 posts, read 61,620,191 times
I 've had torn rotator cuff on both shoulders. The right one ended my bowling career. The surgery was a mess. The doctor screwed up and it took 10 years of residual pain and rehab for full recovery. The left one I refused surgery due to the other experience and let it do it's own natural thing and it returned back to normal in about a year. The right shoulder has a 8 inch scar, the left has no scars.

Old 02-14-2022, 07:00 AM

674 posts, read 608,449 times
OP - you should at least get a consultation with a physical therapist (I am one). UNC Chapel Hill has a free PT clinic staffed by PT students and faculty members; Duke probably has something similar, along with most universities that have a PT school (ECU, WSSU, Campbell, Elon). There are some PT tests that can narrow down your condition without having to do scans or other expensive imaging techniques.

Old 02-14-2022, 08:32 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
If you haven't been to the doctor yet, you may fond it to be somewhat less severe. For me the symptoms sound just like yours, last spring. After the orthopedic surgeon examined the X-rays it turned out to be Rotator Cuff Impingement. He gave me a referral to physical therapy, and I went 2 times a week for what I came to call "torture hour for 6 weeks plus about 20 minutes/day of "homework". As hard as it was doing the work and getting painful manipulation, it worked, so was worth it and I was back to normal. With my medical insurance it ended up costing me about $30/session.

https://aidmyrotatorcuff.com/shoulde...SACEgLSmPD_BwE

Old 02-14-2022, 09:05 AM

4,948 posts, read 3,053,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanJ44 View Post
So I'm exhausted all the time. If I ever do have to have surgery, it will be a major problem for a lot of reasons

It's rare for surgery to be required, and generally is reserved for re-attachments and such.
In your current condition, even the best PT(and there are quite a few!)on Youtube will advise you to go see one. These things simply cannot be diagnosed online.
If your ROM is limited, you have at minimum an impingement.
How did you injure the joint?, is it popping, clicking, or crunching?.

Old 02-14-2022, 09:06 AM

4,948 posts, read 3,053,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
If you haven't been to the doctor yet, you may fond it to be somewhat less severe. For me the symptoms sound just like yours, last spring. After the orthopedic surgeon examined the X-rays it turned out to be Rotator Cuff Impingement. He gave me a referral to physical therapy, and I went 2 times a week for what I came to call "torture hour for 6 weeks plus about 20 minutes/day of "homework".
Face pulls!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness