Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2022, 01:32 PM

3,124 posts, read 2,068,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
If smokers are charged more for health insurance then perhaps daily drinkers or people who drink heavily throughout the week should be as well. They tend to end up having health issues.

The problem is that many people don't divulge many of the negative things they do to their dr.
If you are discovered lying about it to an insurance company, you can be charged with insurance fraud, dropped from the plan, and pay back what you should have been paying. You could also serve jail time.

Obesity is linked to very high rates of chronic illnesses --- higher than living in poverty, and much higher than smoking or drinking.

Charging smokers higher premiums was an incentive to decrease smoking and it's working. Obesity and overweight related illnesses are costing us much more than smoking and drinking related illnesses.
  • The total cost of chronic illnesses due to American obesity and overweight was $1.72 trillion --- equivalent to 9.3 percent of the U.S. gross domestic product (GDP)
  • Obesity as a risk factor is by far the greatest contributor to the burden of chronic diseases in the U.S., accounting for 47.1 percent of the total cost of chronic diseases nationwide.
https://milkeninstitute.org/report/a...-excess-weight

Monetary incentives such as higher premiums have been shown to be more effective than wellness incentives. I support a combination of wellness incentives and more monetary incentives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2022, 01:38 PM

16,394 posts, read 8,187,139 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
No. lol
How about just something comfortable to relax in?

Old 03-10-2022, 01:40 PM

16,394 posts, read 8,187,139 times
Oh i didn't realize being obese is worse than smoking? wow

Maybe we should give people a harder time for people fat. I think most people are getting the message though. If you go to any educated area most people aren't fat.

I feel like it used to be common to see people from high school /college get fat once they get into their 40's and 50's. Doenst seem to happen anymore. People make an effort to stay thin. I really dont even see woman fat after having a baby.

Old 03-10-2022, 01:48 PM

48,521 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
How about just something comfortable to relax in?
If you consider cardio comfortable and relaxing.

Or not eating.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-10-2022, 01:58 PM

3,124 posts, read 2,068,179 times
Quote:
Yes, and it's the message that should receive more publicity, IMO.

Quote:
Maybe we should give people a harder time for people fat. I think most people are getting the message though. If you go to any educated area most people aren't fat.

I feel like it used to be common to see people from high school /college get fat once they get into their 40's and 50's. Doenst seem to happen anymore. People make an effort to stay thin. I really dont even see woman fat after having a baby.
I have seen some pockets of improvement compared to 10 years ago. Unfortunately, the fact is that obesity and overweight are still rising nationwide. I think it will be a long, slow process before the majority of the population has made a successful transformation of diet and lifestyle. Perhaps 20-30 years or more.

Old 03-10-2022, 02:20 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
Quote:

Of course the two can be intertwined. Many people used smoking as a weight loss technique until fairly recently. I think it’s still not uncommon for runway models and traditionally thin models to rely on smoking to keep their weight down. Once people quit, they may gain a lot of weight. I know people who weren’t fairly large to start with (probably 140 pounds) who gained 30 pounds when they quit smoking, which is pretty significant. A lot of times people stop smoking because of some health issue like high blood pressure, and blood pressure meds can also decrease metabolism and contribute to weight gain.

I wouldn’t necessarily say that being educated has to do with being fat, but more the environment where you find educated people. If you are in a larger city with lots of universities, it’s likely to be more walkable and commuter friendly. People are naturally burning more calories when they are taking public transport, walking, or biking to work.

Old 03-11-2022, 03:54 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,584,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but last time I checked, weight and body fat control has been part of cancer prevention since forever. Obviously, in large part that's up to the patient, not the advising MD. Are you suggesting that the renewed war on cancer needs to include formulated weight control/loss aids?
It should not be so difficult to find prepared, healthy food at a decent price without insane amounts of added sugar. The current model is simply not sustainable for many people, especially working class, that have to work more than one job just to make ends meet. It is easy for upper middle class, health conscious folks in suburban areas to make it work. Think about it from the perspective of a family near poverty level in rural areas. And if you have not done so, take a road trip through the middle of nowhere, and pay attention to what is on their convenience store shelves. Imagine that is what is available to you.

Old 03-11-2022, 05:35 AM

3,144 posts, read 1,600,475 times
Here's the message: Just Say NO to snacks!

The NPD Group. In its annual “Eating Patterns in America” study, the market research firm found that over the past five years, U.S. consumers added 25 between-meal snacking occasions per capita, from 505 in 2015 to 530 in 2020, and that consumption of snack foods at meals grew from 21% of eating occasions in 2010 to 26% in 2020.
https://progressivegrocer.com/us-con...king-more-ever

Old 03-11-2022, 08:01 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,580,593 times
So, since the demographic group with the highest rates of obesity is black women, please make them the target of your fat-shaming campaign and let us know how that works out.....

Old 03-11-2022, 08:51 AM

3,206 posts, read 1,668,265 times
America's solution to any illness is to take this $$$ pill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness