Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2022, 11:30 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,955,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongevitySeeker View Post
I'm well aware of how it works: A person can be kept alive for a long time with one horrific operation after another along with harsh cut and burn treatments. My aunt was one of them. But this thread is not about that.

Let's learn how not to get cancer in the first place by making better lifestyle choices.
Good luck with that. What you described is true for some cancers and some people but not all. I've had 12 weekly infusions of chemo for lymphoma, 8 six years ago and 4 three years ago, and the worst of it was constipation which was solved with Senokot. Everyone's cancer experiences, outcomes, body conditions are different. I'm pretty confident in saying there's no way to prevent cancer. If you are going to get it you will. If not, you won't. Diets, lifestyles, exercise are all wishful thinking.

I'm 75 and have lived with lymphoma and leukemia and congestive heart failure for 6 years, and kidney disease for a year. I still am troubled more by constipation than any of those conditions. My diet is heavy on sweets and fats to maintain my weight. I get about 1-1/2 hours of mild exercise a week. I'm 6'1" and weigh 180 pounds. My cholesterol, due to the leukemia, dropped 90 points and is now 117. I never smoked, I was very fit and walked several miles a day my whole adult life. To me it's all inexplicable, so I don't try to figure it out.

Last edited by bobspez; 03-06-2022 at 11:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2022, 11:35 AM

7,234 posts, read 4,542,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
I'm pretty confident in saying there's no way to prevent cancer. If you are going to get it you will. If not, you won't. Diets, lifestyles, exercise are all wishful thinking.
This is why we can't get this done. People like you who want to believe "there was nothing I could have done".

If we could get people to lose the weight and the cancer rate dropped well...

And there is ample evidence to believe it would... but instead we just tell people... it is just bad luck.

Thank god I don't believe that.

Old 03-06-2022, 11:47 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,955,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
That's a very big if.

Old 03-06-2022, 12:03 PM

761 posts, read 445,570 times
Quote:
This is why we can't get this done. People like you who want to believe "there was nothing I could have done".

And there is ample evidence to believe it would... but instead we just tell people... it is just bad luck.

Thank god I don't believe that.
I had a neighbor-friend who was obese (BMI 32) and she said, "Your days are numbered from the day you're born, so you will live the same number of years regardless of whether you live a healthy lifestyle or not."

That's what she said after giving up trying to improve her health status. She had multiple health issues and finally died of a massive stroke.

I hope to never be pessimistic. At age 80 I'm enjoying life and doing my best to stay healthy and optimistic.

Old 03-06-2022, 01:59 PM

9,114 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Mortality is 100% no matter how much you fight disease. That's a fact.

Science has prolonged life, but for many people, they are not living although not yet dead.

Old 03-06-2022, 02:01 PM

Quote:
https://www.cdc.gov/cancer/obesity/index.htm

The above article by the CDC says being over weight or obese are linked with a higher risk of getting 13 types of cancer. That's not my opinion.

You said, "The facts speak for themselves": But where are those facts? And do you have a reputable source for those facts?

Well, if the CDC said it, it must be true. Who would ever doubt such a venerable institution?

Old 03-06-2022, 02:13 PM

7,234 posts, read 4,542,662 times
Quote:
I hope to never be pessimistic. At age 80 I'm enjoying life and doing my best to stay healthy and optimistic.
Good for you.

Something else that is stunning is that losing weight just doesn't help with cancer, but also heart disease and most everything under the sun, including covid.

If the US just put 10% of their health care budget into making sure people lost weight they would save TONS of money and lives.

For those who are like, good luck getting people to lose weight... we are saying the gov't / medical care should like really try instead of half heartedly going.. did you try eating less and moving more?

Old 03-06-2022, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Good for you.

Something else that is stunning is that losing weight just doesn't help with cancer, but also heart disease and most everything under the sun, including covid.

If the US just put 10% of their health care budget into making sure people lost weight they would save TONS of money and lives.

For those who are like, good luck getting people to lose weight... we are saying the gov't / medical care should like really try instead of half heartedly going.. did you try eating less and moving more?

Like, I'm not sure what you are proposing. Are you saying, like, people should get paid for losing weight? Is that, like, your plan? Would you like have exemptions for some medical conditions or like would you insist on strict diets like as a condition of employment? What about people who really really really try to lose weight but don't. Do they get special fines?

I can like picture the underground economy with people trading names where you can buy M&Ms.

Old 03-06-2022, 02:27 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,482,156 times
Quote:
Good for you.

What should the government/health care providers/insurance companies do? Offer weight loss drugs? Weight loss surgery? My doctor tells me everytime I'm there that I should lose a few pounds. My insurance company gives me a free Y membership, I go 5 days a week. What else can they/I do?

Old 03-06-2022, 02:30 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,650,631 times
So begs the question, can fat cats also be skinflints?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness