Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2022, 03:46 PM

3,886 posts, read 4,537,512 times

Advertisements

Hi folks!

I developed adult onset asthma in my early 30's and it's generally mild. Excessive dust or pollen may having me use my inhaler every once in a while, but very rarely. Like count on one hand rare.
I get into trouble though when I've had any type of virus, even a mild cold. Then my bronchial tubes tighten up and I'm on the nebulizer 3 times a day. I'm in the middle of it right now, doing the neb, and started on Advair last Friday. Went to Urgent care the other day and they wanted to put me on Prednisone. I hate that stuff! Can't sleep, have hyperventilated on it, hungry all the time and the last time I was on it about 12 years ago was the first time I had pneumonia. Learned it can crash your immune system!

Anyone have any tips or can share any medications that helped accelerate healing that doesn't involve prednisone?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2022, 04:11 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,127,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Hi folks!

I developed adult onset asthma in my early 30's and it's generally mild. Excessive dust or pollen may having me use my inhaler every once in a while, but very rarely. Like count on one hand rare.
I get into trouble though when I've had any type of virus, even a mild cold. Then my bronchial tubes tighten up and I'm on the nebulizer 3 times a day. I'm in the middle of it right now, doing the neb, and started on Advair last Friday. Went to Urgent care the other day and they wanted to put me on Prednisone. I hate that stuff! Can't sleep, have hyperventilated on it, hungry all the time and the last time I was on it about 12 years ago was the first time I had pneumonia. Learned it can crash your immune system!

Anyone have any tips or can share any medications that helped accelerate healing that doesn't involve prednisone?

Thanks!
Whenever I get sick, my breathing clears up a lot due to coughing, and it keeps my lungs clear. It’s like my body is fighting off other things and can’t deal with asthma. When I feel better, breathing gets worse again.

You might want to try Musinex, it can help. Try lots of hot tea or coffee, add a good glug of honey to the tea, it soothes your throat. I tried a nebulizer but it didn’t do much. The thing that helped the most was a move out of dry, dusty Phoenix. The new climate was the best thing possible. I still have asthma but the inhaler use is way down.

If you’re open to vitamins and herbs that help breathing, the web has a ton of information. Check your magnesium levels, asthma patients are often low on this mineral.

Old 03-11-2022, 04:27 PM

3,886 posts, read 4,537,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
Whenever I get sick, my breathing clears up a lot due to coughing, and it keeps my lungs clear. It’s like my body is fighting off other things and can’t deal with asthma. When I feel better, breathing gets worse again.

You might want to try Musinex, it can help. Try lots of hot tea or coffee, add a good glug of honey to the tea, it soothes your throat. I tried a nebulizer but it didn’t do much. The thing that helped the most was a move out of dry, dusty Phoenix. The new climate was the best thing possible. I still have asthma but the inhaler use is way down.

If you’re open to vitamins and herbs that help breathing, the web has a ton of information. Check your magnesium levels, asthma patients are often low on this mineral.
Well howdy neighbor! I'm in the Vancouver, Wa. area!
Yup, doing Mucinex (amazing stuff!) and also NeilMed sinus rinses. Also great stuff! Literally saved me from a second sinus surgery 10 years ago when a new doctor told me to use it several times a day!

I love anything natural so I'll look up vitamins and herbs good for the lungs.
Thanks for reminding me about the magnesium! I've got some Epsom salts and I'm going to go soak in a bath of them right now!!

Old 03-11-2022, 07:30 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,127,268 times
[quote=Podo944;63064997]Well howdy neighbor! I'm in the Vancouver, Wa. area!
Yup, doing Mucinex (amazing stuff!) and also NeilMed sinus rinses. Also great stuff! Literally saved me from a second sinus surgery 10 years ago when a new doctor told me to use it several times a day!

I love anything natural so I'll look up vitamins and herbs good for the lungs.
Thanks for reminding me about the magnesium! I've got some Epsom salts and I'm going to go soak in a bath of them right now!!

Hi neighbor! Glad to help and hope your asthma and allergies clear up. This is a bad time of year in this area, yard work has me sneezing and being stuffy is a day and night thing.

I always take magnesium before bed, it helps with breathing and relaxing. Glad to hear you avoided a surgery, sounds like your Dr gave you the right advise. Feel better!

Old 03-11-2022, 11:09 PM

2,893 posts, read 2,139,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Hi folks!

Thanks!
Advair has a steroid in it.

Old 03-12-2022, 03:28 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,897,043 times
I was on Advair for years. I had a mold or mildew allergy that would trigger asthma. Eventually I moved to a different part of the world that doesn't have those triggers and I was able to quit using it.

I developed cataracts at a fairly young age and the first question my eye doctor asked was, did I ever take an inhaled steroid? He said most of their younger cataract patients had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness