Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2008, 03:36 PM

1 posts, read 12,242 times

Advertisements

Hey all... I had a similar break almost exactly 11 months ago. I was sledding and went off a big jump accidently. I came down and SNAP! the sound was almost the worst part... I still remember it clearly. Compound fracture of the tibia and fibula and broke the ankle as well. To make thinks worse, my lovely wife was almost 9 months pregnant at the time and had to come wobbleing down the hill to come call an ambulance for me. Our baby boy was born less than a month later and my wife had to take care of 2 "babies" for a while till I healed enough to do stuff for myself.

Anyway, the bone is fully healed now. At the time of the break, the surgeon put a nail in the tibia from the knee to the ankle, with several screws in the knee and ankle to hold it all together. It is sore almost every day. I cannot run on it for more than a mile without it being VERY sore. And after long walks, it is pretty sore too.
I am scheduled to have the hardware taken out next week. My choice, the surgeon said it was up to me, I figure that it bothers me so much with it in there, it can't hurt to take it out, right. Well as the surgery date for removing the hardware comes closer, I am getting pretty nervous about it. Worried that I am making the right decision by getting it out.... Can anyone who's had it out put my mind at ease?

For those of u who have had much more recent injuries... just give it time. Everyone heals differently and every injury is slightly different, so noone can tell you exactly how long it will take. Be patient, God knows thats tough, and eat well. Do as much excercise as you can comfortably, and push it more when you feel you can. Eat well and work hard and your body will reward you! Listen to your doctor, but also don't be afraid to do more or less based on your comfort level... remember, doctor's give generalized directions based on they're training and experience. But everyone will heal different so do what feels best for you.

Good luck to all, this type of injury is not fun, but you can / will get through it!

Boomr

Old 01-13-2008, 06:10 PM

1 posts, read 12,229 times
Hi all .
I have no idea what I broke since I only saw my doctor once since surgery but I know one of them was the fibula. How did I break it? I got hit by a guy and fell down.
I've got a metal plate with 8 mini screws and 3 long screws somewhere in my ankle. Apparently I broke the tip of the bigger bone as well as tore the muscles that holds the two bones together. It has only been a month since I've been discharged. I was on the PCA and seemed to have popped lotsa pain killers, though I did fake how much pain I was in to get discharged.

I can move around rather well now but get exhausted from all that crutching. How did all of you get to work/ school? I have to crutch at least 100 metres from my bus stop to office and from home to bus is 50 metres so I'm still on medical leave working from home. Staying at home is really getting on my nerves. I live in a hostel so to go for dinner I need to hop 26 steps (yes, i counted) down to the dining hall and then crutch 26 steps after that to go back to my room.

I think my frustration is that no one knows that it is hard to move around in crutches and it is hard to get to work. I'm in less pain now but my stitches still hurt every now and then, I think they are the stitches as I'm not sure what it is, though I do feel a throbbing pain in my ankle.
Did any of you get cramps? I thought since I was not using my leg muscles I shouldnt be getting cramps, but I am.

Anyone got any ideas for me?

Last edited by cchang1110; 01-13-2008 at 06:21 PM..

Old 01-17-2008, 02:04 PM

7 posts, read 54,280 times
positiveone,

I was T-boned on my motorcycle sept 30 2007, airllifted to trama hospital open tib/fib fracture like everyone else here. First surgery rod and pins internally 2 weeks in hospital. Sent home non weight bearing till december 5 had 2nd surgery bone graf to replace bone loss. xrayed 3 weeks later looked good so they put me in a walking boot which im still in. Im 47 years old so healing is a little slower for myself. But, i was going to the gym in my wheel chair with my leg elevated and worked all of my upper body which has really helped my PT. It will be 4 months end of january and im using my walker and riding stationery bike close to using a cane. So hang in there it really does take time.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:49 AM

2 posts, read 29,958 times
Default slowley but shureley

Hi again all,

Just figured ide post a reply on progress, and well its slowly coming along, Had my staples removed a couple weeks ago, still in a cast from my ankle to my knee, but Ive slowly been putting pressure on the bad leg, and seen to get about 35-45% weight bearing, this is of course against docs orders, but i just wanted to see if i could do it, everything seems to be healing up fine. The only problem i am having is i no longer have feeling on the right side of my knee. 80% of the feeling is gone, in some spots its tingly, but the rest is just numb. I have taken a few pictures of my leg and x-rays to show what has been done, here is the link to the pictures. warning, if Ur squeamish, DO NOT LOOK AT THE PICTURES!! h**p://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=82627&id=650500646 , replace the ** with tt. Iam back at the docs on Feb 7 to find out how the healing is going, and to find out if i need another cast. Ill post back again after my appointment.

Chris

Last edited by timbits4451; 01-24-2008 at 10:04 AM..

Old 01-26-2008, 02:10 PM

4 posts, read 21,801 times
Cool i did it to but its a bit diffrent

yo i broke my tib fib playing basket ball but im wondering is it wise to start using cruches and going back to school i have a full leg cast and its pretty heavy im a tall guy but im not comfortable with going back yet because of the pain and throbbing that occurs when i do get up and use the cruches to go to the bath room and other things . anyways i just wanted some adivce cause alot of you have probably gone thru the same thing thanks.

Peace

Old 01-26-2008, 05:17 PM

6 posts, read 80,505 times
yung_jock........

im not sure how bad your break was, ive had two surgeries in the last few months and i have lots of metal in my leg now. they said it will take about a year for me :[ but you should take it easy for a while, its not easy to crutch around. also you will heal better if your pain is under control so take your pain meds and keep your leg elevated to prevent throbbing and swelling. tibia is the weight bearing bone so take care of it so you will be able to play basketball again someday and stay positive, that helps too!

Old 01-26-2008, 06:48 PM

34 posts, read 328,905 times
Hi everone, I'm new to the forum. I was wondering if anyone had nerve damage in their ankle,and foot after tibia and fibula surgery. my foot feels like it's half asleep, with shooting electrical pains. I've had a external fixator, and a bone graft surgery. I'm five months post op, and just able to full weight bearing. It's really hard with all the pain. my toes are completly numb. I would be gratefull if someone could tell me if this will heal. I hope everyone has fast healing and no pain.

Last edited by CANNON 81; 01-26-2008 at 07:10 PM..

Old 01-26-2008, 07:46 PM

251 posts, read 1,312,715 times
Let's see....January 21st, 2007. I could not walk by myself until..........September....and then only around the house. I still need both crutches for extended distances and outside. I had a VERY bad fracture though and shattered everything. And I still need a new knee. I relearned to walk in a pool. It helped immensely, but you need to clear it with physical therapy first. Water and moving from the damn muggy east coast helped me the most.

Old 01-27-2008, 03:53 AM

3 posts, read 48,230 times
Default broken eg

i broke my tib and fib in 98 and its never been the same i havea metal plate hoding it together i still have it in too scared to take it out

i can not put on ski boots on the pain is agony when i lean forward the kids have to be so carefull they dont knock it i can not run i have put loads of weight on

it has ruined my life

deb

Old 01-27-2008, 03:57 AM

3 posts, read 48,230 times
Cool my broken leg in 98

broke my tib and fib in 98 and its never been the same i havea metal plate hoding it together i still have it in too scared to take it out

i can not put on ski boots on the pain is agony when i lean forward the kids have to be so carefull they dont knock it i can not run i have put loads of weight on

it has ruined my life im in pain all the time , but the pain i had after the op was just too much cant go through it again .

has anyone else had any probems with pain from the metal work in their bodies?
deb[/quote]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness