Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2008, 01:08 PM

117 posts, read 699,486 times

Advertisements

[quote=eshon;2082821]My Daughter Had Tib/fib Fractures And The Doc Used Two Plates And Nine Screws To Repair. Shouldn't The Screws Be Flush With The Plates? You Can Actually See The Screw Heads Under The Skin. No Mention Of Future Removal Has Been Suggested By Her Doctor.[/quote]

My surgery was just fine, I don't even see any signs of the plate or the screws, just abit of numbness where there was some nerve damage from the surgery. This happened Jan. 28th 2007. Still no sign of loose screws.. It doesn't sound normal for your daughters screws heads to be so visible. At least mine aren't noticeable, even after a year.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:09 AM

1 posts, read 8,430 times
Hi, I am new to this and have a few questions. I shattered my fibula and tibia at the beggining of Jan and was in an external fixater for about 2 weeks. I had my final surgery about 2 1/2 weeks ago. I have three plates in me and all types of screws and pins. I opted to be off the pain killers while I was in the hospital and havnt taken any since. I would like to know if it is usual to be getting sharp pains every once in while? I also had my out leg straight for about a month due to the splints and fixater and am having trouble getting my leg bent at the knee. I can bend it to some degree but cant seem to get much further. My therapist thinks it should be bending more but it just seems to have stopped at this point. Is this normal? I am told no walking or pressure on my leg for 8 weeks. It is quite swollen at the knee still.... Any advice would be great...

Old 02-18-2008, 09:23 AM

Default Blueglass how are you feeling?

[quote=blueglass;1773902]I have been out of my air cast for 1 week now, and getting around pretty well. Still some swelling, mainly in my ankle, but have been able to wear my shoes. Ankle hurts some, and bones hurt some too, but depends on the situation I am in. I try to be careful as not to tip and fall over, which seems very likely with a slight limp. Need to watch what surface you are on.[/quote]

How are your feeling now? Does your leg still swell? My leg and anckle swelled up until maybe 10 month... If I stand on my feet for to long I notice some swelling around my anckle.. Ever since my ortho surgen told me my fib wasn't fused together after a year the pain came back so quickly its not even funny, I started limping all over again, I don't know if its all in my head, I don't know what to think any more.. I live in Ontario where the weather is either hot and humid in the summer or freezing and damp in the winter. Either way it bothers my leg...

take care

Old 02-18-2008, 09:44 AM

Default Cam M I can feel your pain ouch!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam M View Post
Hi, I am new to this and have a few questions. I shattered my fibula and tibia at the beggining of Jan and was in an external fixater for about 2 weeks. I had my final surgery about 2 1/2 weeks ago. I have three plates in me and all types of screws and pins. I opted to be off the pain killers while I was in the hospital and havnt taken any since. I would like to know if it is usual to be getting sharp pains every once in while? I also had my out leg straight for about a month due to the splints and fixater and am having trouble getting my leg bent at the knee. I can bend it to some degree but cant seem to get much further. My therapist thinks it should be bending more but it just seems to have stopped at this point. Is this normal? I am told no walking or pressure on my leg for 8 weeks. It is quite swollen at the knee still.... Any advice would be great...

Ouch, it is very normal to experience sharp pain every once in awhile. Can't believe you haven't taken anything for the pain though, wow! That'll do it having your leg out straight for a month without bending it will cause the muscles to deteriorate, not to worry it'll get better once you start getting mobile, it'll hurt once you start bending it though.. Make sure you listen to what your doctor tells you, they know best..

take care Cam M

Old 02-21-2008, 05:38 PM

6 posts, read 80,499 times
to everyone who's bones are not fusing together, have you ever heard of a bone stimulator? you guys should ask your doctor, it has a very high success rate of helping your bones heal up. you can wear it on the outside of your leg for a while each day.
im getting one at the end of this month only because my bone was crushed into so many pieces that the dr. doesnt think all of them will heal up.
the info i found on these bone stimulators:
-it was approved by the FDA in 1996
-used for lower leg or forearm where we dont get as much bloodflow
-used for non-union of a fracture or if it takes too long to heal
-it emits ultra-sound pulses at the same low intensity as sonogram fetal monitors
-studies so far have no long term effects
-it had a consistantly high sucess rate!
-no one really understands how it works, but it does
has anyone used one of these before? im curious to hear from other people about this, otherwise i will report back after i get mine.
hope everyone is doing the best you can

Old 02-21-2008, 06:06 PM

1 posts, read 8,370 times
Default Any suggestions?

November 25, 2008 I fell down a dark stairwell and got a spiral fracture to my tibia (minimally displaced but repositioned) and a smaller insignificant fracture to my heel. I was in a walking boot until Feb. 11th. My ortho said my bone has healed nicely and I'm in PT to rehabilitate my foot and ankle. My problem is that I continue to have a burning, stabbing pain where the break was. They've suggested tendonitis, but it feels like a deep, bone pain and I can't get anyone to listen because the x-rays look good. I'm a nurse and I know what a muscle ache/cramp feels like and this is unlike any of that. I take Vicodin (which I never took before this happened) and it really doesn't do anything to the pain.

Has anyone ever had anything like this? Any suggestions?

Old 02-21-2008, 11:37 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I had a injury to my shoulder while I was in the army years ago. After it healed I had very deep pain for months afterward like you describe. The doctors said it was from ligment problems and tendons. It eventlually went away.Years later I now have tendon and ligament problems again from damage but it is nothing compared to then.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:04 AM

To everyone, my leg has been aching where the hardwear was placed, it has been over a year since my surgery. The pain is coming more frequently now, is it because the nerves are finally healing?? I know it probibly will never be the same, I don't know????? Sometimes it feels like its buring or someone kicked my chin really hard...

Old 02-23-2008, 01:21 AM

3 posts, read 24,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yung_jock View Post
yo i broke my tib fib playing basket ball but im wondering is it wise to start using cruches and going back to school i have a full leg cast and its pretty heavy im a tall guy but im not comfortable with going back yet because of the pain and throbbing that occurs when i do get up and use the cruches to go to the bath room and other things . anyways i just wanted some adivce cause alot of you have probably gone thru the same thing thanks.

Peace
Just saw your post, and not sure if your still looking for info - but I just did major damage to my tib fib and dislocated my ankle - boating. Anyway, I've got 2 plates 3 pins and 9 screws holding the bottoms of the 2 bones together. I've got really great docs and they both say 4-6 months of NO weight - and depending on how the bones heal I can start exercises and some weight bearing in July-August and if I do everything right, could be jogging by January. He said that this type of break is the worst there is because of the amount of pressure those bones are subjected to, and the lack of circulation in lower extremities. The most common mistake people make is to do too much too soon and don't give enough time for the bones to heal properly... so as much as it sucks...and trust me I know....go back home - put your leg up on 2 pillows so it's above your heart - and have your friend bring your home work to you. From all of the entries I've seen on here - the folks that have had the hardest time are those that tried to "speed" healing by pushing themselves.

Old 02-23-2008, 01:24 AM

3 posts, read 24,309 times
Default RE bone growth/stimulation:

Never heard of it - but you definitely have my curiosity piqued. Please report back on your progress - I may ask my doc if you've got something good to say.

Last edited by hobblie; 02-23-2008 at 01:45 AM.. Reason: forgot to quote the orignal post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness