Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2008, 05:39 PM

709 posts, read 2,180,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Broken Tibia and Fibula

I'm new to this forum. Hope everyone a speedy recovery.

My story - Oct 27, 2007 my son and I were riding dirtbikes and the trail turns uphill. Theres this rock ledge about 3/4 of the way up. I remember getting the front wheel over it, but I must have gave it a little to much throtle, and got the front wheel of the ground and I lost my balance. So naturaly the foot goes out and wham, I look down and it's turn sideways. The next thing I know I'm on the ground off the other side of my bike. I'm airlifted back to the highway for an ambulance ride to the trauma center.

The large bone was broken and sticking through the skin, the small bone was broken it two places, just above the ankle. The doctor put me in an Ilizarov device.

I've been wearing it for four months, I went to the doc last week and he loosened the bottom ring. I go back tomorrow, I hope he takes it off. He has talked about putting a cast on for a while. I hope he does something, it's been more painful the last week.

The doctor has encuraged me to put weight on it from the begenning. I've been trying and I've done better the last month, but it still hurts. I can take about 5 or 6 steps, I won't call it walking though.

I've used a walker, crutches, borrowed wheelchair, one of those motorized shopping carts at the grocerie store, and my office chair at home.

Then their's the questions, what happened to you, and when I them them it was a dirtbike accident, there's more questions. Have you sold it yet, your not going to get back on that thing are you. The answer, yes as soon as I am able.

Haven't seen any photos, hope this is to graphic.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:17 AM

117 posts, read 699,576 times
Default roger6087

Hi there Roger,
ouch!!!!! That looks painful...
It'll take sometime to heal. I am very greatful that I found
this site.. I don't know what I would've done if I hadn't found
this site. My injury was over a year ago, my leg is still not
the same, I take it one day at a time.
Anyway take care of yourself...

Old 03-05-2008, 10:40 AM

3 posts, read 23,369 times
Default Hey Broke My Tib/fib

THIS WEBSIGHT HAS BEEN GREAT, MY STORY IS I AM A 24 YR OLD FEMALE. I AM A ROOKIE POLICE OFFICE AND IN DEFENSIVE TACTICS TRAINING DURING ONE OF THE TAKE DOWN TECHNIQUES. WHEN I FELL ( YOUR SUPPOSE TO FALL) MY BOOT GOT CAUGHT ON THE MAT AND WHEN I WENT DOWN MY LEG TWISTED AND I HEARD A POP, WHICH WAS THE BREAK OF MY TIBIA AND FIBIA, IT WAS NASTY COULDNT KEEP MY FOOT STRAIGHT. I HAVE A VERY HIGH PAIN TOLERANCE SO IT DIDNT HURT TO MUCH SO EVERYONE THOUGHT I JUST SPRAINED MY ANKLE, BUT AFTER LOOKING AT IT REALIZED THE SEVERITY. SO I WAS TAKEN BY ABULANCE TO THE E.R AND THEY TOOK X-RAYS AND SAID I HAD A SPIRAL FRACTURE AND NEEDED THE ROD SURGERY, SO IMMEDIATLY ( WITHIN 4 HRS OF MY BREAK WAS IN SURGERY) . SO I SPENT 2 NIGHTS IN THE HOSITAL WITH I WOULD SAY MINOR PAIN, NOT TO BAD, BUT AGAIN I HAVE VERY HIGH PAIN TOLERANCE. GOING HOME I USED CRUTCHES WHICH TOTALLY SUCKS.THEY GAVE ME PAIN EDICINE BUT I NEVER TOOK IT... THEY HAD ME IN A SOFT CAST FOR THE FIRST WEEK, THEN AFTER THAT NOTHING AT ALL ( WHICH I THOUGHT WAS STRANGE), BUT WAS IN NO PAIN SO IT WAS ALRIGHT BY ME. I WENT BACK TO WORK LIGHT DUTY OF COURSE MY SECOND WEEK BECAUSE I CANNOT SIT AT HOME, SO I CRUTCH AROUND THE POLICE DEPT. PRETTY EMBARESSING BUT I NEED MY PAY CHECK SO NOW ITS 4 WEEKS IN JUST WENT TO THE DOC YESTERDAY AND HE SAID I COULD DO ALITTLE WEIGHT BEARING WITH THE CRUTCHES AND HOPEFULLY ( IM CROSSING MY FINGERS) IN 2 WEEKS I CAN START PUTTING FULL WEIGHT WITH CRUTCHES AND THEN DITCHING THE CRUTCHES... BECAUSE I HAD NO CAST HE SAID I WILL NEED MINIMAL OR NO THERAPY, EVEN THOUGH MY BREAK WAS PRETTY BAD... SEE I HAVE BEEN TOTALLY DOWN FOR THE FAST FEW WEEKS, IM JUST GETTING ON THE POLICE FORCE AND TO HAVE A INJURY SUCKS, IM HEALTHY AND AM ALWAYS ON THE GO, SO THIS IS A REAL SET BACK FOR ME. BUT AFTER READING ALL UR GUYS STORIES ABOUT UR RECOVERY TIMES, I SHOULD BE THANKFUL IN SOME ASPECT

Old 03-05-2008, 02:36 PM

709 posts, read 2,180,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nel-compound fracture View Post
Hi there Roger,
ouch!!!!! That looks painful...
It'll take sometime to heal. I am very greatful that I found
this site.. I don't know what I would've done if I hadn't found
this site. My injury was over a year ago, my leg is still not
the same, I take it one day at a time.
Anyway take care of yourself...
Thanks for the encouragement.
I went to see the doctor this morning and the Ilizarov is coming off. Then I will be in a cast for 4 to 8 weeks. Hope I can walk after that.

Old 03-05-2008, 04:27 PM

Default Brookewpb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKEWPB View Post
THIS WEBSIGHT HAS BEEN GREAT, MY STORY IS I AM A 24 YR OLD FEMALE. I AM A ROOKIE POLICE OFFICE AND IN DEFENSIVE TACTICS TRAINING DURING ONE OF THE TAKE DOWN TECHNIQUES. WHEN I FELL ( YOUR SUPPOSE TO FALL) MY BOOT GOT CAUGHT ON THE MAT AND WHEN I WENT DOWN MY LEG TWISTED AND I HEARD A POP, WHICH WAS THE BREAK OF MY TIBIA AND FIBIA, IT WAS NASTY COULDNT KEEP MY FOOT STRAIGHT. I HAVE A VERY HIGH PAIN TOLERANCE SO IT DIDNT HURT TO MUCH SO EVERYONE THOUGHT I JUST SPRAINED MY ANKLE, BUT AFTER LOOKING AT IT REALIZED THE SEVERITY. SO I WAS TAKEN BY ABULANCE TO THE E.R AND THEY TOOK X-RAYS AND SAID I HAD A SPIRAL FRACTURE AND NEEDED THE ROD SURGERY, SO IMMEDIATLY ( WITHIN 4 HRS OF MY BREAK WAS IN SURGERY) . SO I SPENT 2 NIGHTS IN THE HOSITAL WITH I WOULD SAY MINOR PAIN, NOT TO BAD, BUT AGAIN I HAVE VERY HIGH PAIN TOLERANCE. GOING HOME I USED CRUTCHES WHICH TOTALLY SUCKS.THEY GAVE ME PAIN EDICINE BUT I NEVER TOOK IT... THEY HAD ME IN A SOFT CAST FOR THE FIRST WEEK, THEN AFTER THAT NOTHING AT ALL ( WHICH I THOUGHT WAS STRANGE), BUT WAS IN NO PAIN SO IT WAS ALRIGHT BY ME. I WENT BACK TO WORK LIGHT DUTY OF COURSE MY SECOND WEEK BECAUSE I CANNOT SIT AT HOME, SO I CRUTCH AROUND THE POLICE DEPT. PRETTY EMBARESSING BUT I NEED MY PAY CHECK SO NOW ITS 4 WEEKS IN JUST WENT TO THE DOC YESTERDAY AND HE SAID I COULD DO ALITTLE WEIGHT BEARING WITH THE CRUTCHES AND HOPEFULLY ( IM CROSSING MY FINGERS) IN 2 WEEKS I CAN START PUTTING FULL WEIGHT WITH CRUTCHES AND THEN DITCHING THE CRUTCHES... BECAUSE I HAD NO CAST HE SAID I WILL NEED MINIMAL OR NO THERAPY, EVEN THOUGH MY BREAK WAS PRETTY BAD... SEE I HAVE BEEN TOTALLY DOWN FOR THE FAST FEW WEEKS, IM JUST GETTING ON THE POLICE FORCE AND TO HAVE A INJURY SUCKS, IM HEALTHY AND AM ALWAYS ON THE GO, SO THIS IS A REAL SET BACK FOR ME. BUT AFTER READING ALL UR GUYS STORIES ABOUT UR RECOVERY TIMES, I SHOULD BE THANKFUL IN SOME ASPECT

Hi there, its nice to hear someone very positive with a very fast recovery, wow.. Make sure you don't over do it girl..

Nel

Old 03-05-2008, 04:31 PM

Default Roger6087

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger6087 View Post
Thanks for the encouragement.
I went to see the doctor this morning and the Ilizarov is coming off. Then I will be in a cast for 4 to 8 weeks. Hope I can walk after that.

Anytime, that is good to hear,
having the ilizarov taken off your leg will feel different. More freedom, awsome!

Nel

Old 03-05-2008, 10:50 PM

1 posts, read 8,951 times
I slipped on ice 5 wks ago and broke my Tibia in half, another bone also that will heal by it self. The Doc put a rod through my knee put me a air cast. Iv been taking the cast off,and walking atleast 5hrs aday . Does any one out there know if This is bad for me to be doing ? I'v just been doing this for about a week now.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:02 AM

3 posts, read 23,369 times
THAT MIGHT NOT BE TO GOOD BUT HEY I AM NO DOCTOR, LIKE I SAID ITS BEEN 4 WEEKS FOR ME AND I AM PUTING SLIGHT WEIGHT ON IT WITH CRUTCHES, HAVE HAD NO CAST OR ANYTHING SINCE WEEK 2 .. BUT MY DOC TOLD ME THAT I WAS BEST CASE SCENERIO,, SO I GUESS IT DEPENDS ON UR DOCTOR AND UR CASE.. YOU SHOULD REALLY ASK UR DOCTOR TOGUH. MINE TOLD ME THAT IF U GO TO FULL WEIGHT BEARING TO SOON THE PINS WULD HAVE A CHANCE OF COMING LOOSE.. DO U HAVE A BG LIMP WHEN U WALK?

Old 03-06-2008, 01:59 PM

Default jodigirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodigirl View Post
I slipped on ice 5 wks ago and broke my Tibia in half, another bone also that will heal by it self. The Doc put a rod through my knee put me a air cast. Iv been taking the cast off,and walking atleast 5hrs aday . Does any one out there know if This is bad for me to be doing ? I'v just been doing this for about a week now.

Sorry to hear, as long as your doctor as told you its okay to walk on it without your air cast... Oh my be very careful..

Old 03-07-2008, 02:52 PM

Positiveone, I was wondering if you are alright?
How is your leg?

Nel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness