Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2009, 02:09 PM

189 posts, read 794,531 times

Advertisements

kek,
Goodluck tomorrow, I hope everything goes well. My OS also told me it could take up to a year before my leg/ankle is back to normal, or at least to feel normal. My bruising and discoloration is gone, my ankle actually looks pretty good. Have some swelling and the scars aren't too bad, at least compared to the Frankenstein foot I had 3 months ago!

Mike,
When my OS told me I could FWB as tolerated with my air boot, I was very nervous about putting all my weight on my foot. I was still very cautious to say the least so I kept the walker and moved on to a regular cane with the help of my PT. I still keep the walker at hand for short trips around the house without my boot, like first thing in the morning to the restroom. Just take your time and do what you are comfortable with, you don't want to overdo it and risk a setback. I know what you mean about wanting to ditch the walker. Today I walked out of PT just carrying my folded up walker. I need it while I am there to move from exercise stations without my boot on, but other than that I don't need it that much anymore. You will get there too!

We will also get to the point where we can walk on our own , in our own shoes with no boot or other assistance!! We will, We will , We will!!!

ps....let me know if you find out anything about the lightening thing!

Take care everyone, you are all in my prayers!

Old 04-21-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhosler877 View Post
Nanny,
I just looked at your x-ray. Wish I had scanner to post mine. Mine on back resembled your front in middle and then I have plates on each side of leg with screws attaching so I am surrounded by plates,screws mine go farther up My plates and screws have stayed in place they do not slide but feels like it when tendons are overtired and swell.

Sounds like you have more hardware than me, I wish you had a scanner too, it is interesting to see each others pics, it helps to understand what is going on inside there. My injury happend on 1/15, the same day as your surgery. My first surgery was 1/16 , then a second one on 1/28. I know what you mean about the ROM. I went to PT this morning and I have gained some since the last time they measured, but it seems like so little. I am hoping that once I am allowed to FWB without my air boot, I will gain more ROM. Did you find that you got any more flexibility with walking in a regular shoe?

Old 04-21-2009, 03:59 PM

139 posts, read 587,385 times
Nanny,

Most definitely once I was fitted in good walking shoe and my therapy guy was so helpful he guided me to a good store and he told me exactly what I needed so much more flexibility. Once you get rid of air boot you will be amazed as to your flexibility. Even with my ankle not wanting to bend on its own my ability to walk is so amazing even if my ankle is miserable just being able to walk without help of anything is wonderful.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:12 PM

175 posts, read 740,272 times
You guys are cracking me up with the magnet thing, so of course I had to go and try it. Too bad it didn't work - that would make a great party trick! HAHAHAHA

I have a plate and 6 screws on the fibula, and when the swelling is down I can feel the edge of the plate. My leg feels bumpy there but I can't tell if that's from the surgery scar or the screw heads.

Does anyone have larger screws that go through one bone into the other? I haven't seen anything like that so far on other X-rays and was wondering how common it is. I have two large screws that go through the tibia into the fibula, and those are the ones that will be coming out soon. I asked the doctor if I could get copies of my X-rays, and he said that he can possibly get me a wallet sized scan of them. I hope so because I really want to post them. I don't have anywhere near the metal that some of you have, but it's still interesting.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:52 PM

62 posts, read 259,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cristina1 View Post
You guys are cracking me up with the magnet thing, so of course I had to go and try it. Too bad it didn't work - that would make a great party trick! HAHAHAHA

I have a plate and 6 screws on the fibula, and when the swelling is down I can feel the edge of the plate. My leg feels bumpy there but I can't tell if that's from the surgery scar or the screw heads.

Does anyone have larger screws that go through one bone into the other? I haven't seen anything like that so far on other X-rays and was wondering how common it is. I have two large screws that go through the tibia into the fibula, and those are the ones that will be coming out soon. I asked the doctor if I could get copies of my X-rays, and he said that he can possibly get me a wallet sized scan of them. I hope so because I really want to post them. I don't have anywhere near the metal that some of you have, but it's still interesting.
I cant believe no one else thought of the magnet thing!!! Lol there is something wrong with me!! I need to get my xrays of the plate I just had installed to see what it looks like. I have a full length metal plate lol Ok I just tried the magnet too and it did not work!! Ok next trick we can all be kickboxers with super tough tibeas. I see new UFC titles for everyone!! Oh by the way we have a thunderstorm and I got my butt inside quick I dont want to be the test dummy for Lightning!!!

Mike

Old 04-22-2009, 01:16 AM

34 posts, read 105,485 times
hey everyone its been 8 day since ive had my cast off and i still cant walk due to pain on the bottom of my foot is this normal ?

Old 04-22-2009, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simms View Post
I cant believe no one else thought of the magnet thing!!! Lol there is something wrong with me!! I need to get my xrays of the plate I just had installed to see what it looks like. I have a full length metal plate lol Ok I just tried the magnet too and it did not work!! Ok next trick we can all be kickboxers with super tough tibeas. I see new UFC titles for everyone!! Oh by the way we have a thunderstorm and I got my butt inside quick I dont want to be the test dummy for Lightning!!!

Mike
Someone suggested to me that the rare Earth magnets may work because they are so strong, but looking at the site that sells them made me afraid that they could yank the metal right out of there! LOL

Tina

Old 04-22-2009, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dely8 View Post
hey everyone its been 8 day since ive had my cast off and i still cant walk due to pain on the bottom of my foot is this normal ?
Hey, dely. Sorry about the pain you are feeling. Are you going to PT? Can you put any weight on it? I know some pain is normal, but I'm not sure what "normal" should feel like since I had the infection. Does it feel like muscles that need to stretch?

Hope you feel better soon!
Tina

Old 04-22-2009, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dely8 View Post

The muscles in your foot are probably very tight from being in a cast. Mine took awhile to loosen up. Are you wearing a shoe? If not, you may want to get a pair of walking shoes. If your foot won't fit in your regular size, you may have to go up a size. My brother hurt his foot about a year ago, he was able to order a pair of shoes on the internet with one shoe in his regular size and the other in a larger size. I don't know the website , but I can find out if you want.

I am only allowed to walk with my airboot, but do have exercises I do putting my bare foot on the floor, I can't imaging walking with a bare foot yet. I do have a pair of crocs that really cushion my foot, and I do use those for short trips when I am up with a walker without my boot.

How is your PT going? They will help you loosen up those tight muscles and give you exercises and stretches to do at home, keep working , it will come back. It also helps if you have someone at home that can massage your foot. Goodluck and keep working!

Old 04-22-2009, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristina1 View Post
Someone suggested to me that the rare Earth magnets may work because they are so strong, but looking at the site that sells them made me afraid that they could yank the metal right out of there! LOL

Tina

Hi Tina,

I just looked at the rare Earth magnets too.....little scary!

I do have some really , really strong magnets that I just thought of, I use them at horse shows to keep my entry number on the back of my show jacket, it is hard to get them apart they are so strong! They are upstairs in a closet with my show clothes, now I am going to have to get them out and give it a try, I will let you know if it works!

Wow, the things we find to entertain ourselves, my husband thinks I am going crazy!

Nanny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness