Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2009, 01:34 PM

69 posts, read 334,273 times

Advertisements

bhosler,

not sure you are going to find anyone to tattoo over a scar i have had my one tattoo ruined by my first surgery...i felt funny too about the way my leg looks but i have gotten over it if people have a problem with they dont have to look at it, and i would rather have a scared leg then no leg at all

the backwards walking on the tredmill is the best for rom in ankle i have had to do that with both of my injuries

Old 07-02-2009, 02:31 PM

83 posts, read 296,230 times
PBE - its stopped weeping, and ive got it uncovered now as the new knee brace doesnt rub on it (:

Old 07-04-2009, 06:44 AM

139 posts, read 588,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sl26t View Post
Hey guys! Looks like I'm the newest member of the fibula fixation club! I have a couple questions though, so maybe someone can point me in the right direction. I broke my lower fibula a little over a month ago now. On June 2nd, I had the fixation surgery in which they inserted a plate and 7 screws. I went in for a routine checkup about 10 days after the surgery. Everything looked okay, except my ankle was extremely swollen and I could not get any movement out of it. So they put me an orthopedic boot cast and crutches for 4 weeks and told me to exercise it frequently to get some of the motion back. They said if the motion is not back within 4 weeks, then they would have to go in and perform another surgery to release the tension... Yikes.

The last thing I want to do is go back under the knife! Ughh.. So yeah, I have been exercising it constantly, but not too much. I have noticed a great deal of progress in getting the left, right up and down motion back. The pain is pretty much gone now. However, I recently started leaving the boot cast off completely day and night because A.) it seemed when I had it in there, I was taking 2 steps back because it would get so stiff in there. and B.) it's just sooo uncomfortable and clunky. So I decided to just to leave it out and work my foot throughout the day little by little.. Like the "abc's" about once every hour or two. Other than that, I just crutch around, do my thing and keep it out of harms way."

So here's my question. It is June 30th now and the initial surgery was on June 2nd. I have had the boot cast off now for just over a week now. I don't think the swelling is getting much better. My foot is still turning really purple when it is in the down position. I just noticed today that the area around the ankle (the bump) is sticking out a little further than what I remember it did yesterday. Should I be concerned about this or could this be that the swelling is starting to go down and I am starting to see some of the visual formation come back in my ankle?? Or could I have possibly disturbed the plate/fixation when I fell and accidentally put all my weight on it last week? I didn't think it was that hard of fall. I had the boot cast on and tripped and put all of my weight on that leg. It was enough for me to clinch my teeth and have a jolt of pain for a few seconds.

So yeah, I guess I'm more or less just curious and concerned about how careful I have to be with my leg/ankle 4 weeks after the surgery. And what should I be noticing or looking out for at this time.. The way I see it (which is probably boneheadedly wrong) is that, hey my bone is bolted back together now. I can take it out of the cast and just let the healing do it's thing. As long as I don't put my body weight on it until the doc says so.

Any help or advice would be GREATLY appreciated guys! Thanks much and hope you are all healing well.
Hello sorry about your injury. You have what I call hardware in area so swelling is normal and color is normal for how son your injury is. I fractured tibula fibula shattered the ankle so purple red color and swelling did not subside until about 8-10 weeks after surgery and when the hardware was removed after the new bone growth appeared I still have alot of swelling depending on what I have done or overdone that day. You are healing nicely from your injury. I always felt its alot harder to get the movement after that soon from surgery even if you have 1-5% you are doing good for being that soon out. It has actually taken me 24 weeks to get 95% rom and most of that came after hardware was removed. Alot of my swelling was from body not liking pins screws plates in ankle so once it was removed the rom movement is coming back. They told me it would be 12-18 months before my ankle leg would feel fairly normal however being being the impatient person I am I have this inner drive and feel I have accomplished alot since 5% movement 6/4/09 to present now have 95% movement. So take each day one day at time and foot will start to regain normal color. Have a great 4th Bev

Old 07-04-2009, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewlyBroken View Post
Yeah i had a walker for the first week i was home after surgery, now im ok on the crutches, my leg hurt at first as i was using more than usual but its got use to me relying on it now!!
I wish i could start physio, everyones started theres on here and i havent. Makes me feel like im not getting better!
Hello so newlybroken is your OS saying you cannot start PT and if they are why. I started doing the alphabet abut 4 weeks from actual injury date then towel exercise, they circles. Circles really helps. So there are some PT you can do on your own in the beginning. The above exercises you do no more than 3 times a day that helps movement. Have a great 4th Bev

Old 07-04-2009, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isabella01 View Post
Hi everyone -- I've been reading this forum for several weeks now, and I first want to say thank you to everyone for posting here. Reading the encouraging messages has been so helpful to me.

Here's my story: I broke my right fibula on 4/27 and had surgery on 5/5 -- had a plate and 7 screws put in. I've been struggled like others on here to deal with the frustration of being suddenly being disabled and the pain. Wow. I never realized what a big deal a broken leg is.This is the first time I've ever broken anything and the first time I've had surgery. So scary. But things are starting to look up.

Two weeks ago, I got the go-ahead to put partial weight on my foot (in the aircast/boot only!) and then to add more weight as I am able. Now, I can comfortably walk a short distance with one crutch (although, it wears me out quickly), and I even surprised myself today at work -- I had to get a paper from the printer, and I was halfway there before I realized that I had just gotten up and started walking (without the crutches! but with the boot, of course!). I got a little scared but figured I could yell out for someone to get me my crutches if I needed, so I kept on walking. Wow. What a liberating feeling that was!

I started physical therapy last week, and just had my second session today. I did fine with the exercises and even got to ride a stationary bike for 10 minutes. But Ouch! The massaging the therapist did to my ankle was painful.

I'm wondering ... if anyone can help me ... this is my first time in physical therapy, and it's not like the movies at all. The therapist is nice enough, but he's sooo quiet and reserved, and I don't feel like I'm getting much interaction with him. He seems very good, and has been in the business for 20 years. At times, though, he stops and talks to other coworkers about non-work stuff, which bugs me. I'm my worst critic, and probably don't need someone to push me so hard because I'll do that enough to myself. But I would like some encouragement and support. Am I expecting too much? I feel like he's just going through the motions, and I could be just anyone sitting on the table in front of him. I don't feel any connection from him. But at least I'm getting the exercise and counsel. I'm not sure if I should ask my doctor for another referral?

Also, I'm taking hydrocodone for the pain, and it deals with the pain effectively (although I do notice that I'm building up a tolerance). But I'm having SUCH a difficult time sleeping. Anyone else going through the same thing? I'm out for an hour or two max, then I'm wide awake for the rest of the night (until about 4 a.m. or 5 a.m.), then I can sleep for a couple more hours. I'm one who has to have at least 8 hours to function, so I'm not doing so well at work with the lack of sleep. Does anyone know if this is a side affect of the meds? If so, any advice on how to get through it?

Thanks to all for any help. I'm so glad I found this group!!! -- Izzy
I have found the quiet and reserve PT people are of no value to you. I prefer the aggressive caring person who knows how to manipulate your injury area to make it move more even if it causes pain. I have one great guy but when he is not there rest are reserve quiet too gentle and they donot know area where Phil knows what to massage and manipulate to loosen up the scar tissue to get more movement. So you have the right to guide your PT if you feel this PT is too gentle too quiet and too reserve then ask for someone else. Remember its your injury and you have the right to guide who you want. Since I have been in your shoes yes I would ask for another PT and do not be afraid to tell them why. You need to feel a connection with your therapy person after all your PT holds the key to your recovery not your dr but the PT. Donot know where I would be if I had not had a good PT person. My motto with PT if I felt pain then there was gain. Your are progressing fine since you injury is fairly new. I have 6 months out since my injury. Keep up the good work and we are glad you found this site also. This site kept me sane when I was at my lowest point. Have a great 4th Bev

Old 07-05-2009, 05:38 AM

I went to the hospital for a follow up on thursday. My surgeon wasnt there AGAIN. Ive got another appointment to see him on the 30th July now.
They fitted me with a different knee brace because the other one was rubbish and kept falling down!
The orthapedic consultant i did see, informed me that i had a complicated injury. I was like.Gee that makes me feel so much better! & he told me i wouldnt be starting to weight bare untill atleast October, 12 weeks he said.
But i am starting non weight baring physio on Monday. Im scared!!

Old 07-05-2009, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewlyBroken View Post
I went to the hospital for a follow up on thursday. My surgeon wasnt there AGAIN. Ive got another appointment to see him on the 30th July now.
They fitted me with a different knee brace because the other one was rubbish and kept falling down!
The orthapedic consultant i did see, informed me that i had a complicated injury. I was like.Gee that makes me feel so much better! & he told me i wouldnt be starting to weight bare untill atleast October, 12 weeks he said.
But i am starting non weight baring physio on Monday. Im scared!!
Newly donot be scared. The physio they will start you are will be the basic probably alphabet,towel exercise,circles. I remember when I first started I could barely do all those now its a piece of cake but still do them 3 times a day to continue ROM movement. Good luck on your first session and hopefully you get a good PT person. Thats the most important thing. Bev

Old 07-05-2009, 02:36 PM

Thanks Bev, I already do the towel excercise at home but i have a dog lead type thing to do it with instead. Ive heard about the abc and stuff. I shall let you all know how i get on .

Old 07-05-2009, 09:28 PM

1 posts, read 4,083 times
Hello All, I stumbled across this website surfing the internet. I usually don't post on message boards, but I thought it might be a form of therapy. I broke my fibula the day before Memorial day riding a bike. It was a pretty bad break, (are there any good ones?) and my left foot was twisted about 90 degrees to the left and was no longer residing at the end of my tibia. It was not a pretty sight. Oddly enough the pain was not severe, it hurt me more to look at my twisted foot than to feel the pain of the break. My wife drove me to the ER (too cheap for an ambulance!) and had the foot reset. I had to wait until the day after Memorial day to have surgery. I had a plate with numerous screws and one syndesmotic screw. I was in a splint for 9 days and then went to a "moon boot" I was initially told that it would be 8 weeks until I could put weight on my foot. When I went in for my 3 week check I was told that I could in theory walk on my foot, however the syndesmotic screw could break and I would have another problem. I was then told that if I waited until 12 weeks my ligaments would be 97% healed and if I had the screw removed earlier my ligaments would not be healed as much. Naturally that was a blow as I had mentally prepared for 8 weeks, not 12. Anyway, after this 3 week point I began to start moving my foot, doing the ABC's etc. It really hurt at first, but as time goes by, the pain does go away. At week 5,(this past tuesday) I underwent surgery to have the syndesmotic screw removed and replaced with a "tightrope". I was cleared to go to fwb as soon as I felt comfortable. The pain was intense for a few days after the surgery and I felt like I was back at square one, however as of this morning I felt good enough to walk. Oddly enough, it is not the ankle that hurts, but my foot, especially the arch area. My ankle swelled up pretty good after I walked, so I took it easy the rest of the day. I use the term "walking" pretty loosely, I looked more like Frankenstein! Anyway, Tuesday will be six weeks since my initial surgery. I still have along way to go, but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

My humble observations throughout this ordeal? First off, I had never spent any time in a hospital. The worst thing I had done was having my wisdom teeth removed. I was ignorant of how much a broken ankle sucks! I think everyone here knows that. Second, I have done a lot of reading of other peoples experiences and it occured to me that I shouldn't let myself get depressed because it took someone else took 3 months to walk, etc. Every situation is unique and we all heal at different rates. Finally, if you haven't heard about it, check out the Arthex Tightrope.

I hope something of what I said helps!

Old 07-06-2009, 06:07 AM

Welcome jay this sight is unique as we all have fairly same injuries or broken area of foot ankle area. Each heal in different ways each have their own experience with one goal in mind to be able to function as good as you can with this injury. This injury is horrible. One of the worse I have experienced. Its been 25 weeks (6 months one week) since my fall and sometimes it feels like yesterday. The ball was dropped with me with my OS only because of circumstances around my injury but I would not let the ball drop and I fought for PT after my second surgery to take out hardware that was 6 weeks ago and as I look back donot know where I would be had this not happened this week is my last of PT. I feel sad because I still have scar tissue around the ankle preventing me from full movement and still have no feeling on top of my foot which drives me insane to look at it and think about it. I have joined a fitness center to continue progressing. I am terrified that the scare tissue left will settle itself and movement in my foot is what it is today. However the trainer at the fitness center suggested me to seek out a massage therapist licensed to help me work out the rest of the scar tissue. If I had not fought for the additional 6 weeks of PT this scar tissue would have settled and movement would have stayed at 5%. I am happy to say right now the ankle is at 95% which is good but being the person I am I still want some additional % before the winter sets in. I will check out Arthex Tightrope. Never heard of it. No one would have ever thought with my pilon fracture I would be so far along but I have a drive a determination inside me that keeps me going and keeps me pushing. Have a great day Bev
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness