Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2009, 02:17 AM

1 posts, read 2,735 times

Advertisements

After reading all of the comment on here I'm getting a little, or alot stressed. I was run over, and parked on by a car on 7/11/09. It ended up breaking and shattering my fibula & tibula, a compound fracture actually. I was told I ill have my full cast on for 4 months plus. Now i'm wondering how long it is going to take me to be able to walk once the cast is removed. I also have alot of pain behind my knee which is driving me nuts most of the day. The doctor put me on Noreco as of today whichi is Hydrocodone, but is stronger. Twice the Narcotic and half the tylenol. It seems to be working much better. I am so sorry to all of us who is going thru this hellish pain. I don't remember the first 2 plus weeks in the Hospital due to Trauma and going into shock. It was hell the hallucinations I do remember though, which make me very nervous to have more surgery done since I also have plates and screws up from the bottom of my leg to close to me knee. I knew there would be complications in life after this, but now I'm beginning to think I'm not going to be walking or longer than I though. Please ease my mind.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:04 AM

6 posts, read 14,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie322 View Post
After reading all of the comment on here I'm getting a little, or alot stressed. I was run over, and parked on by a car on 7/11/09. It ended up breaking and shattering my fibula & tibula, a compound fracture actually. I was told I ill have my full cast on for 4 months plus. Now i'm wondering how long it is going to take me to be able to walk once the cast is removed. I also have alot of pain behind my knee which is driving me nuts most of the day. The doctor put me on Noreco as of today whichi is Hydrocodone, but is stronger. Twice the Narcotic and half the tylenol. It seems to be working much better. I am so sorry to all of us who is going thru this hellish pain. I don't remember the first 2 plus weeks in the Hospital due to Trauma and going into shock. It was hell the hallucinations I do remember though, which make me very nervous to have more surgery done since I also have plates and screws up from the bottom of my leg to close to me knee. I knew there would be complications in life after this, but now I'm beginning to think I'm not going to be walking or longer than I though. Please ease my mind.

I am very sorry to hear about your misfortune! Right now you must be thinking “why me?” but please don’t dwell on that because there are other people that have it worse that you. The first week of my accident, I was feeling sorry for myself but then I realized that accidents happen and it happened to me. As for now, I am up on crutches walking around the city of New York, climbing stairs and taking the train by myself. Sure it’s difficult but you just have to go out there and do it! I am sure that you will be doing the same in no time! One more thing, eat well, eat healthy, and always stay positive!

Old 07-17-2009, 12:44 PM

16 posts, read 50,337 times
I broke my left ankle badly 3 months ago playing soccer...had surgery and 9 screws put in and a plate...i am back walking with 1 crutch but my range of movement isnt near as gud as the right ankle...i have done all the excercises religously...i want to b able 2 run and play soccer again...ne ideas or suggestions??nebody have this problem??

Old 07-17-2009, 12:46 PM

76 posts, read 415,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie322 View Post
All you can do is have patience. Tomorrow, July 18 will be 16 weeks since I have not put any weight on my right leg. Everytime I went to the doc for xray I thought it would be the appt. I would be told I could walk but that has not been the case each time. I think I have accepted this process now. All bones and bodys are different and apparently based on what I've read on here and my own experience, there is no given timeframe for us -- it is wait and see. I had 2 casts over a 3-week period and I hated the cast more than anything so far. I have been out of cast for about 6 weeks and wear the black boot just for protection purposes. I don't know the answer but I had surgery in Vegas as I was on vacation and now go to Ortho in Orange County CA and they both operate differently. OC doc put me in a cast when I first went to visit him at 6 wks whereas Vegas doc wouldn't have put me in cast. I hear about people on this forum walking and it seems too soon to me so I don't get it! I'm begininng to think people with rods vs. plates walk sooner(?) I just went back to my job July 1. My husband has to take me since I can't drive being that it is my right leg. He takes me in a wheel chair to my office and I carry my walker (don't trust crutches - don't want to start all over). Being back to work has helped mentally, I think. I wish I could tell you something more positive but it is what it is -- I started crying last appt. when doc told me I couldn't walk for 8 more weeks (at least) and my husband said next appt. he will start crying if I cant walk because he pretty much does everything for me!! I've been sleeping at night with a bone stimulator -- I get tangled up in the cord -- another fun part of this journey! And, if the bone stimulator doesn't work, I may have to have a bone graft! And as I mentioned in previous post, my legs are getting weaker from not walking (I only hop) so I've been told that I have to be really careful once I start walking so I don't mess up OTHER leg. I'm ok -- last doctor appt. I saw someone in there with both legs cut off -- I'm lucky now that I saw that! It's hard but try to keep your spirits up!

Old 07-17-2009, 12:51 PM

Default Im worried....

I broke my left ankle badly 3 months ago playing soccer...had surgery and 9 screws put in and a plate...i am back walking with 1 crutch but my range of movement isnt near as gud as the right ankle...i have done all the excercises religously...i want to b able 2 run and play soccer again...ne ideas or suggestions??nebody have this problem??

Old 07-17-2009, 01:06 PM

76 posts, read 415,270 times
Thumbs down Ibuprofen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futpaul View Post
Nanny,

Thanks so much for the tip on the ibuprofen! I hadn't heard that before. I did write that I was taking in on my evaluation at doctor's on Tuesday, but he made no comment about it. I'll ask him about it, and in the meantime am trying Tylenol to see if that works for me.

Leg is especially painful for some reason this morning. Not sure if I walked too much on it yesterday, or slept funny on it. We'll see how Tylenol works.

Thanks again!

Paul
I was surprised that my Vegas doc gave me a prescription of Ibuprofen being that I was allergic to codiene (vicodin) -- when I transfered to my Orange County doc, he said NO to Ibuprofen -- good thing I only took it for a week being that my bones are having a hard time healing (16 wks now)

Old 07-17-2009, 03:03 PM

Old 07-17-2009, 08:30 PM

189 posts, read 795,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave33333 View Post

Dave,
My injury was 6 months ago, 2 surgeries, external fixator for 2 weeks, 2 plates 16 screws. I have been walking in a regular shoe for about 7 weeks. Still have to ice and elevate a couple of times a day. I can tell you my ROM is not as good as it was.........yet. I am gaining more , but it is coming back very slow. My OS & PT both told me it could take up to a year for my ankle/leg to be "normal" again. All I can tell you is to keep working at it, keep doing the exercises everyday at least 2 times a day or more if you can. When you really begin walking on it, you will see more ROM coming back. Just be careful not to do too much too soon and follow your Dr's orders. Goodluck!
Nanny

Old 07-18-2009, 07:06 AM

Cheers Nanny...Im just worried because I had one of the screws removed about 3 wks ago that woz going through the tib/fib to keep them in place while they were healing..And my Doc said once this screw has been removed that my ROM would increase..But it seems 2b going as far as it will go..My break woz particularly bad and dislocated...Do u think i will need surgery again to increase my ROM??Removing hardware and that??

Old 07-18-2009, 10:42 AM

189 posts, read 795,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave33333 View Post
Cheers Nanny...Im just worried because I had one of the screws removed about 3 wks ago that woz going through the tib/fib to keep them in place while they were healing..And my Doc said once this screw has been removed that my ROM would increase..But it seems 2b going as far as it will go..My break woz particularly bad and dislocated...Do u think i will need surgery again to increase my ROM??Removing hardware and that??

I think you just need to give it more time........I know, easier said than done! Sometimes I feel like I really want the hardware out, but it has only been 6 months and most OS won't consider taking it out for at least a year unless there are complications. From reading the stories on here and www.mybrokenleg.com getting ROM back just takes time and alot of work and patience. My brother had a serious foot injury a year ago in May, he is now running again, but it did take him a good year and he still does not have quite the same ROM in the injured foot, but is very functional. My PT just told me to keep working so I will keep gaining ROM, she said if I slack off I could lose some, so I am keeping up with the exercises faithfully. Goodluck and keep working.
Nanny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness