Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2008, 08:41 AM

3 posts, read 23,366 times

Advertisements

well i posted my story on here alittle awhile ago, but it has now been 8 wks for me just wanted to let ppl know my little tale.. well feb 4th i had a sprial fracture to my tibia an fibia in a defensive tactics training course ( i am a 24 yr old female police offiicer, in pretty good shape).. yeah leg sweeps(never do those again) .. anyways i got a rod a 3 screws in my leg, the same day it happend...was in the hospital 2days not to much pain ( but i do honeslty have a very high pain tolerance) ... never had a cast just a soft brace the first week, then after that nothing on my leg... sooo i was back to light duty my second week,,, its horribly embaressing hobbling around the police station,,,was non weight bearing on crutches for 4 wks ( awful).. then i was allowed to partial weiht bear for 2 weeks....pretty speedy recovery..... soo my 6 th week the doc told me i could slowly get off the crutches in the next couple days, and get around very slowly.. well im stuborn so i walked out of the docs office no crutches... the past 2 weeks walking, have prob been the most painful since surgery ,, my ankle is in alot of pain, from the screws im guessing, just dont feel to stable yet. and my ankle gets swollen.. some days are worse than others its hard to get up first in the morning. ankle never wants to cooperate. hard to walk with no shoes ,, so sneakers are my best bet.. for some reason i thought learning how to walk would be easier and less painful, but i guess not... from my experiance though i am still healing relativly fast alot of people are on crutches for months,, so i cant complain to much... for me though its all about wanting to get back to work, light duty is boring and i dont do anything most of the day anyways ,, but i have started pt and i go to the gym so hopefuly i will start coming along and in a couple wks go back to work.... just figured id share my story,, if anybody eles has just started walking let me know the progress
thanks brooke

Old 04-02-2008, 01:18 PM

34 posts, read 328,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nel-compound fracture View Post
Hi there Cannon,
I am getting excited and nervous for you! yeap I have been counting down the days, wish you all the best Cannon..
Can you walk at all or do you still use crutches?
Thanks Nel, I kind of feel the same way. I can't walk, I have to use crutches. My surgery is tommorow at 7 am. I'm nervous but I want to get it over with.I'll let you know how it goes after I get back home.Take care.

Old 04-02-2008, 02:15 PM

117 posts, read 699,527 times
Default Cannon81

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANNON 81 View Post
Thanks Nel, I kind of feel the same way. I can't walk, I have to use crutches. My surgery is tommorow at 7 am. I'm nervous but I want to get it over with.I'll let you know how it goes after I get back home.Take care.

Cannon I can't believe that you still cannot walk!!
That is a shocker!!
I sure hope the surgery will be your last...
I'll be thinking of you tomorrow, please let us know asap....

Good luck!!

Old 04-02-2008, 02:20 PM

Default Brookewpb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKEWPB View Post
well i posted my story on here alittle awhile ago, but it has now been 8 wks for me just wanted to let ppl know my little tale.. well feb 4th i had a sprial fracture to my tibia an fibia in a defensive tactics training course ( i am a 24 yr old female police offiicer, in pretty good shape).. yeah leg sweeps(never do those again) .. anyways i got a rod a 3 screws in my leg, the same day it happend...was in the hospital 2days not to much pain ( but i do honeslty have a very high pain tolerance) ... never had a cast just a soft brace the first week, then after that nothing on my leg... sooo i was back to light duty my second week,,, its horribly embaressing hobbling around the police station,,,was non weight bearing on crutches for 4 wks ( awful).. then i was allowed to partial weiht bear for 2 weeks....pretty speedy recovery..... soo my 6 th week the doc told me i could slowly get off the crutches in the next couple days, and get around very slowly.. well im stuborn so i walked out of the docs office no crutches... the past 2 weeks walking, have prob been the most painful since surgery ,, my ankle is in alot of pain, from the screws im guessing, just dont feel to stable yet. and my ankle gets swollen.. some days are worse than others its hard to get up first in the morning. ankle never wants to cooperate. hard to walk with no shoes ,, so sneakers are my best bet.. for some reason i thought learning how to walk would be easier and less painful, but i guess not... from my experiance though i am still healing relativly fast alot of people are on crutches for months,, so i cant complain to much... for me though its all about wanting to get back to work, light duty is boring and i dont do anything most of the day anyways ,, but i have started pt and i go to the gym so hopefuly i will start coming along and in a couple wks go back to work.... just figured id share my story,, if anybody eles has just started walking let me know the progress
thanks brooke

Wow good for you!
The swelling will be there for awhile, but it sounds like your recovery is going great! Just don't over do it!!

Old 04-02-2008, 06:06 PM

709 posts, read 2,180,851 times
Hi All,
just got back from getting an x-ray and seeing the doctor, everything is looking good. Last week I traded in my external fixator for a cast, been walking with a cane only for a couple of days. Still have some pain that I hope will lessen the more I walk on it. Will see the doctor again in 5 weeks, hopefully the cast will come off at that time. Then on to PT. My injury was 10/27/07, it will be more than 6 months the nest time I see the doctor.

Old 04-02-2008, 06:54 PM

Default roger6087

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger6087 View Post
Hi All,
just got back from getting an x-ray and seeing the doctor, everything is looking good. Last week I traded in my external fixator for a cast, been walking with a cane only for a couple of days. Still have some pain that I hope will lessen the more I walk on it. Will see the doctor again in 5 weeks, hopefully the cast will come off at that time. Then on to PT. My injury was 10/27/07, it will be more than 6 months the nest time I see the doctor.

Roger that is great news! You have come a long way!
The more you walk on it, faster the bones will
fuse together.. Walking is the only way, pain is normal, ouch!!
You are almost their Roger, remember that!!
Good for you!!!!!!!

Old 04-03-2008, 12:13 PM

709 posts, read 2,180,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nel-compound fracture View Post
Roger that is great news! You have come a long way!
The more you walk on it, faster the bones will
fuse together.. Walking is the only way, pain is normal, ouch!!
You are almost their Roger, remember that!!
Good for you!!!!!!!
Well I spoke to fast, the doctor was in a hurry and only looked at one of my x-rays. When he looked at the other x-ray and apparently my bone had slipped. Have another appointment Monday, hope he doesn't want to put the external fixator back on.

Old 04-03-2008, 02:52 PM

1 posts, read 5,392 times
On 2/8 I broke my tibia in 3 places, then the bone splintered and tore 2 ligaments. On 2/15 I had the internal fixation surgery and they installed a plate with 5 screws to the tibia and 2 screws through the back of my ankle to allow one of the ligaments to heal. I am almost 8 weeks into recovery and I just came out of the hard cast. The doc put me in a removable air boot yesterday so I can finally shower normally I have 2 more weeks with no weight on the foot and then I'll put 25% of my weight on it for a week, if that goes alright I'll put 50% weight on it. Then I'll be able to walk in it completely. Once you come completely out of the cast/brace/everything, how long until you are walking fairly normally? Also, if anyone has had to have screw removal, they are removing the back 2 screws in June, what was the recovery like for that? Did it set you back a lot?

Old 04-04-2008, 11:40 AM

Default roger6087

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger6087 View Post
Well I spoke to fast, the doctor was in a hurry and only looked at one of my x-rays. When he looked at the other x-ray and apparently my bone had slipped. Have another appointment Monday, hope he doesn't want to put the external fixator back on.

Sorry to hear that Roger,
Its better to be safe, how do you feel about it?

Old 04-04-2008, 11:55 AM

Default Kaseyann912

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaseyann912 View Post
On 2/8 I broke my tibia in 3 places, then the bone splintered and tore 2 ligaments. On 2/15 I had the internal fixation surgery and they installed a plate with 5 screws to the tibia and 2 screws through the back of my ankle to allow one of the ligaments to heal. I am almost 8 weeks into recovery and I just came out of the hard cast. The doc put me in a removable air boot yesterday so I can finally shower normally I have 2 more weeks with no weight on the foot and then I'll put 25% of my weight on it for a week, if that goes alright I'll put 50% weight on it. Then I'll be able to walk in it completely. Once you come completely out of the cast/brace/everything, how long until you are walking fairly normally? Also, if anyone has had to have screw removal, they are removing the back 2 screws in June, what was the recovery like for that? Did it set you back a lot?

Welcome!!
You have come to the right place! Sorry to hear about your accident.
That is a great feeling being able to take a shower without that awful cast!
Two weeks will go by fast, not to worry, it'll hurt when you start putting some weight on that leg though..
Everyones healing time is different, sad to say I had my boot on right up to 6 month, everyday I told myself to walk normally. It was painful but it had to be done.. My accident was 14 month ago, I am also curious about the healing time after getting the hardware removed.. One person on this site mention about getting her hardware removed but haven't heard back from her.....

Nel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness