Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2008, 09:54 PM

16 posts, read 120,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nel-compound fracture View Post
Did your OS say why your tib isn't fusing together?
I know how you feel, my fib still never fused together, there was a big gap between the bones maybe thats why its taken so long to heal.
When do you go back to get your bone rebroken? Sorry to hear that, thank goodness we have each other. Before I found this site I felt so alone.
Hopefully my friend Cannon will come on line here and help you.
He just had a bone graft, he is doing so much better...
Hi Nel,
Thanks for your response. I agree with you, discovering this forum has been a godsend.
My bone is not aligned and a quarter of the fracture has not healed due to the huge gap hence, why they will reset it and do a bone graft. I am sure I read at some point that you did your injury in Jan 2007. Is this right? What plan does your OS have for your future? I am sorry I haven't had the opportunity to read through your full story as yet. Have you any pain when you walk? Do you limp?
I am trying to hold out until October for my operation for various reasons plus I need time to get my head around not walking for 4 plus months. Dread!! But it will all be over for us one day, we hope.
Thanks for alerting Cannon. I am going to check up on him now.
Cheers
Donna

Old 05-28-2008, 10:25 AM

8 posts, read 34,285 times
hi there every1 i am new here and wondered if any1 had a displaced Oblique Fracture on tibia and norm fracture on fibia?
i broke my left leg that way playin fire ball with my kids on 2/5/08.
docs wanted to do surgery but i opted for out (have a problem with ansetic )and so am in a full heavy leg cast with my foot pointing down to the floor. as of todays x-ray the bones seem to be stayin put but there is no signs of healing yet doc wants to see me in another 3 weeks, does any1 know if this is a bad sign or not (was told orginally healin would show on x-ray in about 3 weeks after break) i am a single mother of 6 (only 5 at home) and am now wondering if i should have just stopped being a chicken and had op?
or if i am right in hoping it will hold and heal. doc said i had a 1 in 3 chance of this.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:05 AM

9 posts, read 60,589 times
Well after 15 weeks i was told yesterday that I can start puttin some weight on my leg. Still feels like it would snap if i did. Sore and hurts a little. I think i'll still use the crutches and just start adding more weight until it's about 50%. It's been a long time coming. For all you guys that might be starting this journey. Hang in there. Once the pain goes away after about the first 4 weeks, the swelling will slowly get less and the crutches just become part of your life, you will get use to them. I can do most things that I could before. Gym, drive, get out and about. There is hope. Before you know it you will be walking again.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:32 AM

37 posts, read 306,297 times
Hi Wizairdaire - i posted something at the thread you started.

Hi everyone,
Have read thru our posts. Thanks so much for your great advice!! Misery loves company! Have purchased Biosil at someone's recommendation (I can't remember who but thank you!).

HOW IT HAPPENED: I broke my tibia rollerblading on Apr 13. Forgot how to brake after a one-week break. Twisted above the boots while trying to hold on to something.

DIAGNOSIS: It's a slightly displaced spiral tibial fracture. Halfway between the ankle and the knee. The doctor was pushing for surgery but gave me a cast option. I was freaked out by thought of a metal plate and opted for cast (above knee) - the doctor, though not pleased, says the end result would be "acceptable".

After 1 month - I'm afraid I will regret my decision not to go for surgery but am too petrified to change my mind.

X-ray on 24 May shows some (not much but better than nothing) shadows at the fracture area. Doctor says shadows may mean some healing going on but at this stage calcium deposits can't be seen. Wants me to go for bone graft op later on if not enough bone growth. Says electrical bone stimulators don't work.Forgot to ask him about ultrasound - anyone with good experiences?

At 6 weeks (next week ie 6 June) - Will graduate to knee cast. Hurray! Can bend my knee. Praying that putting on a new cast won't be as excruciating as first two times.

Have been taking traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) herbs for blood clots and bone-healing and doing some TCM self-massage daily as directed by a TCM doctor. Also advised to get some morning sun to let the vitamin D bind with calcium. Read studies which says TCM heals fractures 1 month earlier and acupuncture makes it heal 25% faster. TCM has been around for 5,000 years....So, am going for acupuncture later when I get the knee cast.

I have been to MyBrokenLeg.com - Broken leg stories and advice . Nice but I find this forum more current. I realise I still have a long way to go before I can walk. Thanks for sharing and I will share what I can.

BTW if you're looking for a touching, inspirational and humorous book to read, try The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch. He is a 47-year-old professor who has terminal cancer. Certainly puts everything in the right perspective.

God bless you all!

Last edited by Vyzie; 05-30-2008 at 10:41 AM..

Old 05-31-2008, 06:23 AM

4 posts, read 26,470 times
My ribs are fine now, as i can do many sit ups which i could not do previously. My swelling is going down now as i am constantly massaging the skin graft site and the surrounding areas. I am now able to do light exercise like getting on an excercise bike and muscle building exercise. The most pain i get is in my right ankle bone which was cracked in half and now has a screw in the bone, however this is mainly towards the end of the day.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:54 AM

Default spiral fracture too

Quote:
Originally Posted by dellad View Post
i broke my ankle, tib and fib (a spiral fracture) nearly 10 wks ago and

have two metal plates screwed to whatever was left of my bones.at my last check up 3 weeks ago there was no sign of any bone growth at all! i was originally in a splinted boot with no weight bearing and that was great from the point of view that i could take it off for a bath and a good scratch. i then begged to be more mobile and have an epoxy resin cast from toe to knee . although i cant weight bear on it yet i can touch my 'encased' foot to the floor which makes walking with crutches much easier.

i also heard that a supplement called Biosil was useful where bones were taking their time to grow. the dose is i capsule a day but i am taking two as this was the dose taken in the medical report i read. i dont know if its worked but if there is some bone growth showing next week i will carry on taking it. i am also eating oats, raw green veg and figs as these help too.

i can walk about half a mile on my crutches (still no weight bearing on my bad leg) before i need a rest and i think this is helping me cope. shopmobility programs are brilliant as you can whiz round shopping centres and do your shopping and have lunch out etc. its a waiting game this fracture business and you really have tofind ways of adapting to it.

i find all the postings very interesting and encouraging... i want to get back to rollerblading in the future but am a little nervous, has anyone managed this type of recovery?
Hi dellad
Thanks for the Biosil tip. Just ordered mine after reading that study.

Broke my tibia rollerblading too (tibia, spiral, slightly displaced, no surgery). I don't think I'm going anywhere near a rollerblade again.My physiotherapist neighbour says my bone won't be as strong as before and I can't afford to fall again. (Which seems to contradict other reports I read that the bone is stronger after a break so I'm confused!) I read spiral fractures are the most unstable.

It's going to be six weeks in a few days' time and I'm graduating to a knee cast. Am so looking forward to it as I can bend my knee (and go out in a wheelchair).I'm not getting an air cast because my fracture's spiral and slightly displaced.

I'm going to go for acupuncture once I get the knee cast. There's some research saying it helps fractures heal 25% faster. Also, that TCM heals fractures 30 days earlier. I'll try anything if it has a chance of helping grow the bone! Am taking Chinese herbs (prescribed by TCM doctor). For blood clots and bone healing. I have been feeling some sensations in the broken bone area once or twice a day. Can now lift the leg from the left side (I twisted it to the left when I broke it) without pain

My OS says it will take 4-6 months before I can walk. But the whole thing will take 7 to 9 months to heal. Will have to go for bone graft op if not enough bone growth. My OS says bone stimulators don't work. I think he'd say the same about ultrasound too.

Look forward to your update! Hope it's good news!

Old 06-02-2008, 11:22 AM

Default Bone graft account

Here's an account of bone graft experience found at a forum from a few years back.

Compound tibia/fibula fracture not healing

Old 06-03-2008, 09:57 PM

Quote:
When I broke my leg I always told myself, there is a reason for this..
Maybe it was to slow me down, living in a Fast pace life,,,,, or maybe I had forgotten how to enjoy life, with my family.. Or maybe it was to show me, that I have well power and strength to keep going forward.. Who knows...

The doctor tells me to start weight bearing, fear, anxiety takes over, yuk!! Learn how to walk all over again with baby steps. From ther life gets better slowly....
First few steps, check to make sure everyone is looking! I am soo pround of myself! From there I think I am a super women, yup I can to everythng. Thats when I forget to ask for help, they also think you can do it now you can walk, yeah okay!!! grrrr

When someone gets hurt around me and say *OUCH THAT HURT!! first thing that comes to my mind is, you have no idea what I've gone through!!! I've learnt not to say anything... I have alot more sympathy for those that get hurt, I want to be the first to help.

have faith and keep positive.
Hi Nel,
How are things with you lately. I was logging on and just stumbled across the above comment of yours and could swear that it was written by me. You have summed up my thoughts and experiences.
LOL
Hope you are travelling well.
Donna

Old 06-03-2008, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANNON 81 View Post
Hi Donna, I've had 2 bone graft surgeries. The first was a cadaver bone and it failed. 6 weeks ago I had another bone graft surgery with bone taken from my hip. It's not that bad. Your very sore around the hip for about 2 weeks. You will find that when you cough or sneeze you need to take a pillow and push on your stomach so it won't hurt as much. I have no pain at all right now. My leg hasn't hurt since about 3 days after I left the hospital. I hope this helps. Any more info you may need feel free to e-mail me. I'll help in any way I can. Take care.
Hi Cannon,
Thanks for writing to me. I will take your advice and use a pillow. i imagine laughing was rather painful also. How is your bone graft progressing?
Hope all is well
Donna

Old 06-04-2008, 05:40 AM

12 posts, read 66,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaJane View Post
Hi Nel,
How are things with you lately. I was logging on and just stumbled across the above comment of yours and could swear that it was written by me. You have summed up my thoughts and experiences.
LOL
Hope you are travelling well.
Donna
Quote:
When I broke my leg I always told myself, there is a reason for this..
Maybe it was to slow me down, living in a Fast pace life,,,,, or maybe I had forgotten how to enjoy life, with my family.. Or maybe it was to show me, that I have well power and strength to keep going forward.. Who knows...

The doctor tells me to start weight bearing, fear, anxiety takes over, yuk!! Learn how to walk all over again with baby steps. From ther life gets better slowly....
First few steps, check to make sure everyone is looking! I am soo pround of myself! From there I think I am a super women, yup I can to everythng. Thats when I forget to ask for help, they also think you can do it now you can walk, yeah okay!!! grrrr

When someone gets hurt around me and say *OUCH THAT HURT!! first thing that comes to my mind is, you have no idea what I've gone through!!! I've learnt not to say anything... I have alot more sympathy for those that get hurt, I want to be the first to help.

have faith and keep positive.
I most certainly agree with you on all those points, the only thing with the "reason why" is that you could come up with a hundred reasons why and never know if any of them were the right ones. I will most certainly look at people with a broke leg alot diferantly. 15 years ago I pushed my right leg 7" into my chest and shattered my pelvics. That was really nothing compared to this. I am past just past the baby steps. It is actualy easier to walk with out my cane but I use it so I am not always putting full weight on my leg. My biggest problem is I had 4 muscle grafts and they or at least one of them is what bothers me the most. It gets sore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness