Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2009, 12:06 PM

4 posts, read 98,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristina1 View Post
Hi, everyone!

Today marks 9 weeks since my fall, and I'm scheduled to go to the doctor on Wednesday. I really am hoping for some good news that I can start weight bearing this time around. I'm so ready to start down the road of being able to walk again. I've been practicing the few PT exercises they gave me, and yesterday I felt a small pop and I've had some minor pain ever since. Not sure what that was, but considering that it's really more of a discomfort than an actual pain, I don't think it's serious.

Monica, thanks for the welcome back! It sounds like things are going well for you.

Although I'm glad to see new names here, I'm so sorry that we're all together because of something awful happening. Xrouteman, I appreciate you sharing your story. I feel bad complaining about 9 weeks when you were on crutches for three years! Hearing stories like yours makes me put everything into perspective that my situation isn't that bad.

Scottbrd - don't push yourself and talk to your doctor! None of us can possibly know when the cast will come off - even very similar breaks are handled differently from doctor to doctor.

Melissa - is breaking your tibia that way a known risk or a freak accident?

To everyone else - chin up! Most of us have a long haul, but the support on this forum is fantastic.

Take care!
Tina
Tina,
The doctors have told me that they've never experienced a break in the tibia when performing the tibial tubercle osteotomy but....they've heard of it. So basically it's a freak thing. I feel like I know "Murphy's Law" real well...if it can happen, it will-to me!!

Melissa

Old 01-27-2009, 12:49 PM

4 posts, read 78,654 times
Default just out of curiosity

Hi All,

I was just curious if anyone has recieved a settlement from a lawsuit due to your accidents..involving the tibia/fibia fractures etc.....I posted my case already you can read it on pg 82 or 83 i believe. If anyone has had a similiar accident ANDinjury and recieved a settlement could you please let me know..i was curious at whatim looking at here. Thanks...excuse the typing.

thanks......michelle

Old 01-28-2009, 01:50 PM

175 posts, read 741,395 times
I am officially back on my feet, with a little help from my crutches of course. I got the green light to add 25% weight this week, and if the pain levels aren't bad to increase that to 50% next week. I got back to the doctor in 2 weeks for more x-rays and he said that if things look good and the pain isn't bad, he might give me the okay for 100% weight bearing. I'm psyched at this point!

I came home and walked back and forth in the living room about a dozen times. The first few steps hurt, but all in all, the pain isn't anywhere near as bad as I expected. Maybe next week if I can go to 50% weight bearing, I can ditch the crutches and get a cane.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:56 PM

62 posts, read 259,524 times
I would give him a call if your in pain! Glad you like the pictures!

Old 01-29-2009, 07:28 AM

1 posts, read 2,985 times
Hey guys, this is my 1st post. On dec 27th I was riding a dirt bike at a very high rate of speed through the woods (~40 mph) and lost control and slammed into a tree and broke the upper part of my left Tib. I did not have surgery untill the 5th of Jan and got a plate with 12 screws, the doc took 4.5 hours to get it in as he said it was a very bad break (was supposed to take only 2 hours). I think he said I had a tibia platoue (sp?) break. Also some of the bone in the middle of the tib was shattered and he said that thats the part that they are worried about healing as the blood flow is limited there but I did get a $3k bone healing machine for it so hopefully it helps. I no longer have swelling in my leg and foot but the knee is still SLIGHTLY swelled. Pain is about a 3 on a 1-10 scale, by the way I am a 24 year old in great health. I still cannot bring my foot to my butt area as it will start to hurt in the knee but I have noticed as the swelling goes down in the knee I can get more movement, I start thearpy on monday so I know that will help. Overall it sucks and I am very bored. Doc said no weight for 6-8 weeks so I am hoping by late next month I can walk but will prob have a limp. Just wanted to share.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:03 AM

16 posts, read 100,352 times
feeling crappy today, i've had a bad cold for the last three days, sniffling, sneezing, and coughing combined with the fact that i'm not allowed to walk really sucks.the TTC and workers' comp want tp know when i get to work again. i guess they don't want to pay me. anyways, i got to sign for my work from mid-feb to end march, more of the overnite Queen streetcar, i've got issues with working the route where i broke my leg again(college st) for you torontoians. i hope i get over my cold by tomorrow nite because it's poker nite. i'm driving 8 houses up the street since walking in the feet of snow is a little dangerous, first time driving in a month and i'm excited. sorry to ***** but it can be therapeutic. 13 days until my next doctors appointment but i'm not counting. looking forward to good news

Old 01-29-2009, 10:04 AM

*****=complain/whine

Old 01-29-2009, 03:32 PM

9 posts, read 66,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexthettcguy View Post
feeling crappy today, i've had a bad cold for the last three days, sniffling, sneezing, and coughing combined with the fact that i'm not allowed to walk really sucks.the TTC and workers' comp want tp know when i get to work again. i guess they don't want to pay me. anyways, i got to sign for my work from mid-feb to end march, more of the overnite Queen streetcar, i've got issues with working the route where i broke my leg again(college st) for you torontoians. i hope i get over my cold by tomorrow nite because it's poker nite. i'm driving 8 houses up the street since walking in the feet of snow is a little dangerous, first time driving in a month and i'm excited. sorry to ***** but it can be therapeutic. 13 days until my next doctors appointment but i'm not counting. looking forward to good news
I had a bad cold too about a week after surgery. Funny thing was that the percacet made it feel like I wasn't sick at all! I think that's because it really dries the mouth and nose. Anyway, sleep is the best remedy for a cold. I've been stuck inside with this crazy snowstorm too. I think I'll try to get outside tomorrow. Good luck with the poker game!!

6 days until I see the doc (will be 6 weeks after surgery). I'm 99% sure he's going to let me put weight on it again. I've been carefully putting a bit of weight on it once in a while and it feels ok, but I don't put much as I don't really know what could happen. I hope I don't have to get a cane!

Old 01-29-2009, 05:52 PM

76 since you're in TO, where are you going for hospital visits.we are almost on the same timeline, my doctor's will be 6 weeks. i was told to not take the cast off but i'm slowly adding a little weight to it here and there too. just taking it easy so i don't mess things up. i am going stir crazy even more because i enjoy shovelling snow!!!!plus a little ocd. about a messy house and with a 7 and 9 year old assistant and 2 dogs, the sight is killing me

sitting here in my winter jacket and shivering

Old 01-30-2009, 11:13 AM

8 posts, read 81,826 times
Talking Fellow Gimps!

First of all, let me say, GREAT FORUM! What a great way to get out and get first hand examples from everyone in the same mind set! It is great to read through stories and feel relieved that other people can relate to exactly out same issues.

This is my first post and I look forward to hearing back from others! I fractured my tibia and fibula clean through on 12/17/08 (Yes one week before christmas and I didn't get any shopping done before this). Everyone understood the IOU for next year! I was playing indoor soccer with outdoor cleats on since it was football turf. There was literally 10-15 seconds left in the game and I had the ball dribbling towards goal, as I shot the goal keeper took out my planted leg and you could immediately hear the break. Everyone in the gym heard the noise, I won't forget it. I didn't know I was hurt so I went to stand up and saw my leg hanging sideways, my shin guard was at a very weird angle. I had to do a double take and saw that it was real, my leg was hanging. My buddy's wanted to move me in to a truck bed (in the dead of winter in Illinois) and take me to the hospital. I refused and told them to call an ambulance and they were very cooperative in getting me in the ambulance. We had a snow storm that day so the ambulance ride was pretty bumpy but I wasnt feeling very much pain. Once I got into the emergency room everyone began wanting to handle it to get x-rays etc.. I have a TON of pictures & also videos from the emergency room on Facebook, feel free to friend request me, Matt Aranda is the name.

I am about 6 weeks in from surgery date, I had an IM nailing done with a nail in the tibia and three screws, two up top and one by the ankle. I am still on crutches, my doctor wanted me walking after four weeks because he said I had a very high pain tolerance and healed quickly. I am shooting for the 7-8 week range because I still have a lot of frontal Tibia pain and pain in the knee. All of my motion has been completely restored though, which is reassuring considering I had zero motion after surgery. I am looking for any exercises that anyone participated in during physical therapy. My doctor said I am young enough that I most likely would not need it, a little help for personal exercises would be great! Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.