Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2009, 10:29 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 5,160,169 times

Advertisements

Hello all !
I think I will join you !

My Christmas present from Man's Best Friend :

A while back, my neighbor and I adopted litter mates. They are Catahoula Leapord/ Great Dane Mixes. They are approx 8 months old, weighing over 90lbs.

We let them play together in the fenced yard often.
Well, Christmas Eve we are together with neighbors celebrating the holiday, exchanging gifts.
I walked through the fenced area to get something from the house. It was night fall. On the way back, I can hear the two dogs running, can't see them so I stop figuring they would go right past me. NOPE, I was very wrong ! They were running full force, both holding onto the same toy and ran directly into the side of my knee. I saw stars and not only the ones in the sky.
Went to E.R. and ended up waiting till Christmas Day to be seen.
They (dogs) had shattered my tibia at the knee joint.
Had surgery the following morning.
Plates and pins, of course ! (I was hoping for a new truck for Christmas, but got hardware instead ! LOL )

Its been just over 6 weeks. I see the doctor on the 13th.
I was put into a full leg splint for the first 2 weeks. At my first visit I was told to remove the splint and bend my knee. I can get a 90 degree bend in my leg without too much pain, but cannot get my leg straight . Is this normal?
Also something I am concerned about is the amount of muscle loss in my thigh. Does anyone know of any exercises I can do to build my thigh WITHOUT bearing any weight on my leg?
I was told that there will be absolutely no weight bearing for 4 months.
I too, can see/feel the plate and a few pins almost pertruding through the skin.
Yes, I am going completely stir crazy ! Miss taking a shower standing up !
Unfortunately, my husband works out of town/state and I am here by my lonesome (except for my three dogs, LOL ). I/they broke my right leg so of course no driving either .
While I am venting.....
the meds are not effective either. I am on Roboxin (?) for muscle relaxer , Lorecet and Perc 10.
The only relief I get is from the Percs but it is only effective for less than an hour. When I take these pain killers, I itch like a crack head. Is there anything you can suggest that is stronger than what I am currently taking and will not make me itch so bad ?

And of course we just relocated and I had dropped my health insurance, so I am in between plans, with medical bills stacking up.

I am/was a waitress.

I am sorry for unleashing all my self pity on everyone !

Old 02-11-2009, 10:54 AM

9 posts, read 66,213 times
Default update

Been away from the board for a while and thought I'd give you an update. To recount events so far:
Dec 23rd I broke tib and fib and on the 24th I had a plate with screws and two rods installed by surgeon.
Staples removed after two weeks and told to do little exercises (up and down and circles)
At six weeks, doc said to go to physio and that I can start putting weight on the leg. He said to use a bathroom scale and start with 10lbs, then add 10lbs everyday. I kinda laughed since I had already tried this and could get the scale up to about 60lbs!
The physio people gave me some more exercises to do with a green Theraband (different colours are different strengths). They also use their hands to push my foot around to get some flexibility. Was told (by the doc) that the limited flexibility is due to "scar tissue that needs to be stretched out."

So, after the last doc appointment (6 weeks post-op) I tried to walk with just one crutch.... and I did! That was this past Sunday (Feb 8th, or 6.5 weeks post op). It's very sore to walk with just one crutch, but the physio people told me the best recoveries are by those who get "agressive" with the strenghtening and muscle work-outs. I also figured that the boot wasn't doing much, so I just do this one-crutch-walking with my running shoes. I'm thinking a cane would be good, but I wonder if I'd be able to use it... I think I still the need the support a crutch gives. I still have a bit of swelling, which the physio people are trying to get down with ice and heat. I wear a tight sock all day and then tightly put a tensor on it at night.

Anyway, I have physio again tomorrow and then Monday, then doc again on Wednesday. Tomorrow I'm going to ask to use that stair climber type thing (but you sit down and push your feet out). I'll keep you posted.

I also wanted to tell all the new people here that none of our injuries are the same, and your's is different as well. Don't be discouraged if you're a bit behind in recovery than others are. Take the tips and stories as inspiration, but don't EVER do anything without talking with your doctor! I've seen some really intriguing questions on here that should be directed at a doctor. We're all in the same boat, but at different places and each of us are unique (older, younger, thin, heavy, etc.) For example, I smoke and like my beer, so I bet my recovery is slower than if I didn't partake in those vices (but vices make life livable!).

Oh, and check out the hockey player MacDonald from St. Loius Blues - he busted his ankle in November and was back in the line up last night and even scored a sweet goal! Thankfully, they lost to my beloved Canucks!!

Old 02-11-2009, 12:01 PM

139 posts, read 588,064 times
Melissa dr told me the pins and needles tingling shocking feelings I am having was all part of bones fusing and healing. At night mine gets really bad and ice does seem to help it. I am 4 weeks post op and tonight will be my second therapy session now first was brutal forcing that ankle bone area to bend and trying to trace alphabet and do circles seems stiffness when doing that has gotton worse so ice it down more to help.

mscottring the day I can home fell on my bad foot just trying to pee down I went panic struck me thinking how much damage and that was just using a walking, cannot seem to manage on crutches yet not stable enough then fell several other times since then now post op 4 weeks I am more stronger and falls didnot do any damage to healing process.

Everyone hang in there this site has been such an inspiration to me no words can express how much this sight has meant to me. This site helped me in my darkest hours reading everybodys story and knowing what everyone has gone through. God Bless everyone!!!

Old 02-11-2009, 02:21 PM

16 posts, read 100,352 times
saw my surgeon today too. got my good news too. healing is good, ditch the crutches, wean myself off my aircast and start on physio to get my movement back. very excited to go and stand up in the shower, rather than sitting on a shower chair. 8 more weeks til my next appointment so my streetcar will just have to wait. maybe the TTC will find something stupid for me to do in a couple of weeks so i can sort of work again. good luck everyone

Old 02-11-2009, 03:33 PM

175 posts, read 741,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexthettcguy View Post
saw my surgeon today too. got my good news too. healing is good, ditch the crutches, wean myself off my aircast and start on physio to get my movement back. very excited to go and stand up in the shower, rather than sitting on a shower chair. 8 more weeks til my next appointment so my streetcar will just have to wait. maybe the TTC will find something stupid for me to do in a couple of weeks so i can sort of work again. good luck everyone
Me, too, Alex - no more crutches for me either! I still have the boot, but I go back in 3 weeks and he thinks I'll be able to ditch it then. I am soooo excited, and my kids were bouncing off the walls once they saw me walking with no crutches.

The doctor referred me to a would center to look at my last fracture blister. It has eaten through all of the skin, and the tissue is showing. I have an appointment there on Monday, and I hope they can fix it.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:40 PM

7 posts, read 30,178 times
Melitalian,

I had quite a bit of pins-and-needles. Burning and pain, too. I think this had a lot to do with swelling, because I noticed it more when I put on a sock (as you have). I am four months out from my accident, and it *is* getting better, though the pace is excruciatingly slow.

Mscottring,

When I was in the hospital, I was delirious one night (maybe from all the meds I was on, maybe from getting clunked in the head, probably both). I thought I was in a museum, that I had figured out the exhibit, and I wanted to know where to go next. So I took my CAM boot off, and tried to walk out of the room. I ended up falling to the floor in the hallway and getting a "babysitter" for the rest of the night. I must have put weight on my NWB leg during this ordeal. They got films the next morning, and fortunately I hadn't compounded any damage. You should run your situation by your OS just in case.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:50 PM

16 posts, read 100,352 times
got brave and tried to walk bootless. a little apprehensive and it didn't work too well. it hurt a lot and i felt the pins and needles too. oh well, will keep trying. lots of time to work on it

Old 02-11-2009, 11:20 PM

68 posts, read 291,334 times
I am scared about evetually walking after hearing all the pins and needles stories. My doc says that it will be awhile before that happens. Take care all.

Old 02-12-2009, 05:47 AM

175 posts, read 741,395 times
I tried walking without a boot last night to go the bathroom. I made it into the bathroom and back, but it hurt a lot and my foot had no motion whatsoever.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:38 AM

190 posts, read 542,946 times
Everyone, hang in there!!!! I am so glad to see so much good news from everyone! Since Tues aft. I have been walking without my boot and I am doing better everyday. The pins n needles is lessing but that had started when I started walking with the cam boot. I have a lot of pain/discomfort and cant get the heel to toe roll motion as I walk, so I still look "gimpy" Anyway, hope all continues to go well for everyone, for the newbies, all I can tell you what I have learned in this experience is that time and patience, listen to the dr, DO NOT overgo your ability and take tons of calcium.
Stayin strong,

Mo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness