Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2022, 12:01 PM

761 posts, read 434,996 times

Advertisements

According to doctor Jeffrey Rediger, M.D., spontaneous healing is not rare, it's just not talked about because doctors are not motivated to talk about it. He said they fear being looked down upon by other doctors.

From what I have read in his book, "Cured", so far it seems people cure themselves because after being told they might only have 6 more months, or possibly a year to live, they change their lifestyle hoping to make it to one year or possibly longer. Then by surprise, when they go for a regular check-up, they find out they no longer have cancer.

And there's a lot more; he has been studying spontaneous healing for over 15 years. I read his book about a year ago and just started reading it again to refresh my memory. It's very inspiring to think what control we have over our body. Imagine having been treated for cancer and you're told there' nothing more that can be done. And then, without realizing it, you end up curing yourself.

There are many people who go looking for a cure, and he gives many case histories of how they found it.

Old 03-17-2022, 01:24 PM

3,095 posts, read 2,028,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongevitySeeker View Post
According to doctor Jeffrey Rediger, M.D., spontaneous healing is not rare, it's just not talked about because doctors are not motivated to talk about it. He said they fear being looked down upon by other doctors.

From what I have read in his book, "Cured", so far it seems people cure themselves because after being told they might only have 6 more months, or possibly a year to live, they change their lifestyle hoping to make it to one year or possibly longer. Then by surprise, when they go for a regular check-up, they find out they no longer have cancer.

And there's a lot more; he has been studying spontaneous healing for over 15 years. I read his book about a year ago and just started reading it again to refresh my memory. It's very inspiring to think what control we have over our body. Imagine having been treated for cancer and you're told there' nothing more that can be done. And then, without realizing it, you end up curing yourself.
I think you answered your own question ... "they fear being looked down upon" ... even though spontaneous healing has been observed for hundreds of years, or longer.

Quote:
There are many people who go looking for a cure, and he gives many case histories of how they found it.
OK, but looking for and finding a cure is not spontaneous healing.

Old 03-17-2022, 10:54 PM

4,365 posts, read 4,782,301 times
People getting cured from "placebo effect" is one of the things that are measured in any medical study. Maybe there is no "placebo effect". Maybe it's just "spontaneous healing".

Old 03-18-2022, 12:56 AM

1,147 posts, read 836,722 times
Spontaneous remission or regression whatever you want to call it is rare. The estimated incidence is about 1 in 100,000. Now it might be more common than that based on regressions despite treatments but that is just conjecture without proven numbers. Based on that alone it still requires a doctor to be honest and not give false hope or worst yet set them up for scams. Some are so confident they feel they can beat it on their own until it's too late. That's the other end of the spectrum.

The word spontaneous is used because there isn't any stated proven mechanism. They didn't do anything different to change the course of the outcome. You didn't cure yourself as if it were a conscious thing to do. Most people do nothing different and under those conditions, spontaneous remission has occurred. If you tell me that they changed their diet to an all alkaline diet and drank alkaline water or did X, Y, or Z then it wouldn't be "spontaneous". In that setting, it might have been in spite of you doing all of the things. It's like spontaneous combustion.

A lot of the remissions have occurred in lymphomas and melanomas according to one source so maybe doctors would be more positive on a case-by-case basis in those areas such as below.

I know of one recent case the past year where we saw a young baby in the ER with mild symptoms but exhibited a remarkable blood count and smear that was almost pathognomonic for leukemia with about 30% blast cells in their blood. The problem was they were not that sick. In any case, the ER doctor immediately transferred the child to a Children's hospital. After the workup which I did not see evidently the bone marrow was not definitive for leukemia. It did not match clinically and further lab workup was determined to be a benign reactive state with further follow-up recommended at the clinic level. This was not a regression or spontaneous remission case. Highly unusual yes.

On the other hand, there have been newborn leukemia cases either neonatal leukemia or transitional leukemia which is what we call leukemia remission or spontaneous remission. The transitional leukemia cases involve babies with trisomy 21 a chromosomal abnormality that most people know about. The chromosome 21 gene defect is closely located in a gene loci that can cause leukemia. This form of leukemia usually goes away on its own after a few months. Most of the time no treatment is needed as opposed to neonatal leukemia which does. One needs to separate the two. Doctors are aware of this and they would thus be more hopeful and positive under those circumstances. Although most cases of Down Syndrome involve transitional leukemia it has also been reported in babies without Down's Syndrome. In any case, because of the known association blood tests are done regularly with such patients to monitor and make sure it doesn't come back.

Old 03-18-2022, 08:12 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,195,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongevitySeeker View Post

Doctors DO "encourage" spontaneous healing for example when they have people wait a bit before launching into treatment. I've seen it more in terms of general aches, pains, sprains that are minor. Rather than jumping into PT/rehab the advice is to see how it is in a few weeks and THEN if it still is causing an issue, pursuing treatment.

People can practice all the spontaneous healing they want to...however, it is extremely risky in cases of cancer, etc. There is no reason to not take vitamins or whatever while traditional treatment is taking place.

The worst thing is to be like Steve Jobs - no spontaneous healing for HIM and he stopped traditional treatments...and died. No responsible doctor will advise such a thing but apparently Jobs' ego told him different. So sure, you can do all the "cleanses", supps, or various woo woo you want - but don't bet your life on it alone because it doesn't happen often.

No one ever said doctors are right 100% of the time...and spontaneous healing certainly doesn't happen 100% either. - you do what you want.

Old 03-18-2022, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
I think you answered your own question ... "they fear being looked down upon" ... even though spontaneous healing has been observed for hundreds of years, or longer.
So what you're saying is the doctors have so much control over the information that the patients themselves talking about it doesn't get the word out? On message boards or otherwise?

Quote:
OK, but looking for and finding a cure is not spontaneous healing.
When you go looking for it there's no guarantee you will find it, some don't. And if you do find it, it happens
without the help of medical treatments. That's what science calls sponaneous healing. It has to have some name and that's it.

Last edited by LongevitySeeker; 03-18-2022 at 01:32 PM..

Old 03-18-2022, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
People getting cured from "placebo effect" is one of the things that are measured in any medical study. Maybe there is no "placebo effect". Maybe it's just "spontaneous healing".
Right, I think it was mentioned that the only possible way to study this is through observation. You find someone to interview and you also gain access to their medical records.

Old 03-18-2022, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medical Lab Guy View Post
Spontaneous remission or regression whatever you want to call it is rare. The estimated incidence is about 1 in 100,000. Now it might be more common than that based on regressions despite treatments but that is just conjecture without proven numbers. Based on that alone it still requires a doctor to be honest and not give false hope or worst yet set them up for scams. Some are so confident they feel they can beat it on their own until it's too late. That's the other end of the spectrum.
Perhaps he said it wasn't rare because of all the many people who wrote to him asking to tell their story. Many told their story in the letter and included Xrays and MRI results. And it wasn't just about cancer but included other diseases like Lupus. It's not conjecture if you review the patients medical records and a follow up exam shows no cancer. Obviously, me talking about it on a message board is not the same as reading the book. Many of the letters didn't pan out but some did. Then he traveled to South America for a week where he found more cases to study, and so on. It's a long story with many twists and turns.

Quote:
The word spontaneous is used because there isn't any stated proven mechanism. They didn't do anything different to change the course of the outcome. You didn't cure yourself as if it were a conscious thing to do. Most people do nothing different and under those conditions, spontaneous remission has occurred. If you tell me that they changed their diet to an all alkaline diet and drank alkaline water or did X, Y, or Z then it wouldn't be "spontaneous". In that setting, it might have been in spite of you doing all of the things. It's like spontaneous combustion.
Right, none of them changed their diet thinking it would cure the cancer or Lupus. And that's because their doctor said that nothing more could be done. A least one that I remember claimed to have done nothing at all.

I remember one with advanced pancreas cancer and one with brain cancer.

One I remember was a guy who had a huge mass of cancer in his chest. The doctor told him he wouldn't live long without treatments. The man refused treatment and went home. Seven years later he went back to the same doctor complaining about something else. The doctor asked if he was the one who had the cancer in his chest and he said he was. Asked if he received any treatments he said no. The doctor suggested an Xray but did not find any cancer. (It's likely the author tells that story better - I just told it from memory.)

Last edited by LongevitySeeker; 03-18-2022 at 02:22 PM..

Old 03-18-2022, 02:34 PM

1,472 posts, read 1,650,027 times
It could be a bit dangerous for doctors to tell their patients that they might just randomly get better, I think people have a tendency to believe that they are the <0.01% who will be able to deny treatment and not die, while the odds are very much against that. I don't know what the actual benefit would be even if that wasn't the case. Placebos might work in cases of pain or similar symptoms but much less so in other illnesses.

Old 03-18-2022, 02:52 PM

17,320 posts, read 13,057,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post

In my early days as a pharmacist, it was not uncommon to receive a prescription for a drug called Obecalp
Spelled backwards, it is placebo. e would make capsules out of powered sugar, or some other innert material

In pain control, the placebo effect is roughly 35-40%

Not sure there is anything like spontaneous healing, other than remissions (brief or long term)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.